Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 4:33:30 PM EDT
Who makes the stripped A1 uppers sold by Fulton Armory and CMMG ?

I purchased a stripped A1 upper from Fulton Armory, and also purchased one from CMMG.  Both have a slick Teflon finish.  Both have the Anchor Harvey symbol.  But, who did the machine work and coating/finish ?  Are these high quality recievers ? Are these DPMS ?  

At first, I thought these were made by DPMS because DPMS uses the slick teflon finish  (I think - but I have never seen any DPMS uppers).  But, now I am unsure who makes these uppers sold by Fulton Armory and CMMG.

OPTIONAL INFO (skip if you do not have time to read)

I believe that Fulton Armory, and CMMG are selling the same identical stripped A1 upper because the uppers look identical in the manner that the uppers were machined and both uppers have the same slick teflon outer finish.  Plus, both were wrapped the identical way.  They came wrapped inside a clear plastic bag (identical shaped and sized bag) which was then wrapped with bubble wrap (which was wrapped in the identical fashion with identical sized bubble wrap).
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I think all of them have there lowers made by LAR. Might be who is doing the uppers for them also.
They used to make that style years ago.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider this a rhetorical question, but does it really matter??  If you found out that Bubba's Machine Shop in PoDunk, USA made them, is it going to change your mind on whether or not to use it?  It is very likely in spec and will serve whatever purpose you want it to, otherwise those reputable companies wouldn't sell it.

There is really now way to tell where they came from, unless either Fulton or DPMS is willing to divulge their source.  The forging mark tells you nothing.  The finish sounds pretty much standard for about half the manufacturers out there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
mongo001,

I understand your point.  I am just paranoid.. we all know that there are inferior AR parts out there.

Ever since I have been into AR's, I have ALWAYS purchased from Bushmaster.  However, I have become disenchanted with BM.  So, I started to look at other sources.  I placed orders from several vendors trying to find satisfaction other than BM.  I found that I LOVE the upper from Fulton Armory.

If I do not hear anything to scare me, I plan to order a dozen of these uppers.  SO, I do need to ask before making this investment.  I LOVE how the reciever looks and feels.... but, we lnow the saying about beauty being skin deep.

Plus, these reciever sound so different from the BM that I am use to.  I postede a question a few days ago, but got no knowegable responses.  The Fulton Armory reciever sounds like a China plate when you tap the upper rail of the A1 reciever.  My BM will just have a dull dead dampened thud when I tap them in the same spot along the carry handle.  So, I am very concerned why the Fulton
Armory reciever sounds so tingy when tapped (cast instead of forged ???).

But, I am enchanted by the reciever from FA... but looking for reassurance before placing an order for a dozen.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You will not get facts here.  You will get speculation and conjecture, even from me, because I don't know.  The best bet would be to contact FA and DPMS and ask them.  They are the only ones that can truly answer the question
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
mongo001,

Thanks for your honesty about the speculation.  I suppose I will place another post to ask if anyone had any bad experiences with these recievers.

I did call DPMS today.  Joe at DPMS did not have any idea why the metal sounded different from BM.

I asked Dillion at DPMS about if Fulton Armory sold DPMS receiver.  He said he did know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
mongo001,

Thanks for your honesty about the speculation.  I suppose I will place another post to ask if anyone had any bad experiences with these recievers.

I did call DPMS today.  Joe at DPMS did not have any idea why the metal sounded different from BM.

I asked Dillion at DPMS about if Fulton Armory sold DPMS receiver.  He said he did know.

If you're talking about the C7 (NOT A1) types, with the forward assist and ejection hump, so far as I can tell, ALL of them were put out by the same people. I've looked at the Bushie and DPMS versions, and except for the Teflon on the outside of the DPMS and the coating on the inside of the Bushie (both of which can be applied at their respective plants/warehouses), they are the same. All have a small version of the Anchor Harvey emblem, and I'm willing to bet that if your Fulton Armory version is Tefloned, it's a DPMS.

Got one myself.  Works fine
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#7]
You can do what I did. Call Fulton and ask them. And if they are consistent, they won't tell you either.

Its proprietary information they say. Something about competition and not wanting to reveal their sources or some such.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can do what I did. Call Fulton and ask them. And if they are consistent, they won't tell you either.

Its proprietary information they say. Something about competition and not wanting to reveal their sources or some such.

In other words, "It's DPMS but we don't want to admit it, because you'll get it for less money from somewhere else if we tell you".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top