Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 12:09:52 PM EDT
I am looking to build up a highly accurate, scoped upper, and am trying to choose between the Bushmaster 24" varminter upper, or the Fulton Armory Accutron.  I have had very good experience with Bushmasters high end barrels, I have a DCM upper that shoots far better then I do.  I have heard good things about FA, but no experience with their gear.

Anyone have any recommendations either way?  I am looking to shoot only out to 200m, and for target purposes, scoped, only.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked at the RRA nat'l match flat top?  I am looking at one from RBprecision.com right now.  I had one a while ago and really liked it..  The price is good as well..
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Oly SUM barrels are supposed to be very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oly SUM barrels are supposed to be very accurate.

I've got 2, a 16" and a 20"...I'm not impressed so far, but I haven't done much load workup.  

Believe it or not, my most accurate rifle so far is a Model 1 kit with a 16" ER Shaw barrel.  It shoots 1" with my plinking load, and well below that with my accuracy loads.  

I hear the BM varmint uppers are very accurate, but I don't have any first hand experience.  

If you're only going out to 200 meters, I'd just stick with a 20" barrel...you won't lose any accuracy, and the loss of muzzle velocity at 200 yards won't hurt ya.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, guys.  

I spoke to one of the guys at FA, just back from Perry, and they had a leftover "predator" varminter upper available, with one of their older style rectangular  free floater handguards (actually a more expensive version then the standard round one they now use) with a 24" SS 1x8 barrel which they claim will shoot about 1/2 moa.  We'll see...

They cut me a pretty good deal on it, a couple of hundred dollars less then the Bushmaster Varminter which I was also looking at.  I also ordered a lower parts kit from Bushmaster, with their Compass Lake 2 stage trigger, which I have on my BM DCM rifle, and I like it a lot.  After seeing how much I had spent, I cheaped out on the scope, and bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40 from SWFA for $279, and found a set of extra high Leupold rings here for $60

HOPEFULLY I'll have it all on Friday, where I can spend (unfortunatly, another) Friday night ar home building it up for a range run on Saturday, where I can suffer through barrel break-in procedures...

Wish me luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top