Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 12:07:48 PM EDT
A few guys have asked me recently about the quality of Rock River Arms rifles.  I rank them in the top 3 or 4 AR15 manufacturers.

Recently I have been extreemly impressed with Rock River Arms' quality, even better than Bushmaster quality, and Rock River Arms has their guns priced well below Bushmaster.

That being said, there are a few things that RRA does to their guns that I don't like:

-They come from the factory with a 2 stage trigger (I do not like 2 stage triggers on defensive / tactical gun, seen too many of them go tit's up in classes, matches, and other training)

-Most models come with a HBAR profile barrel (too heavy for my personal preference)

-Most models come with a NON-Chrome lined barrel (a chrome lined barrel is a desirable feature on a defenseive / tactical carbine).

Now that I've pointed out the things I don't like about RRA, these "undesirable features" can be a blessing in disguise.  

If you order a RRA from Steve at www.adcofirearms.com he will credit you approximately $65 if you request the two stage trigger be replaced with a standard trigger group.  

For around $100 Steve will install a RRA Chrome Lined Barrel on the gun and can profile it to your specification.  With the RRA I just ordered, I got a mid-length barrel (I LOVE mid-lengths) I had Steve install a RRA mid-length chrome lined barrel.  

The RRA chrome-lined, mid-length barrel is a HBAR profile, which was too heavy and the Govt A2 profile was too thin.  I had him profile the mid-length barrel to .73 under the handguards (for reference, the A2 barrel is .75 from the front sight post forward and it's .64 under the handguards).

Currently RRA's prices are $100 to $200 under Bushmaster's prices, depending on the model.  

Here are a few of the things that I like about the RRA Elite CAR UTE 2 over the M4 length gas system:  

1) the front sight post and gas system are 2" forward of where they are on an M4  

2)  the mid-length gas system is slightly smoother cycling than the M4  

3) because the front sight post is 2" forward on the mid-length it gives you a longer sight radius  

4)  because the front sight post is 2" forward on the mid-length is also gives you a longer handguard....not a big issue for smaller guys, but some taller guys like to have the extra room so they can put their hand further out on the handguard (when not using a vertical foregrip)

5)  the RRA Elite CAR UTE 2 has both a fixed A2 sight and a rail.  The down side to this is you can never use a magnified optic on the gun (which, for the most part is not a desierable item on a civilian/LEO - defensive / tactical gun)....The up side is that you have a rock solid back up iron sight that costs you no extra money, it will always be there, it will always be in the "up position".  

The UTE 2 is a great setup for a new shooter getting into defensive / tactical shooting.  

If the new shooter doesn't have the money for an electronic red dot optic, doesn't know which electronic red dot optic he wants, or wants a basic gun that he can learn to shoot with irons prior to moving onto optics, the UTE 2 give the new shooter a gun that is ready to go out of the box, and optic platforms can be upgraded easily.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just talking shit about your rig over on the "Mid length better" thread I started in here.  

No seriously, you have come to the exact same conclusions I have about this set-up, down to the future optic option.  

A buddy of mine is in the market for an AR and as I started researching the best set-up, I came across the UTE2, saw that dedicated rear sight assembly and rail and said, "here it is!".  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeff,

We appreciate the opportunity. There is nothing like building a gun, and knowing that it will be used in the manner it was intended. Those are our favorite! Thanks for posting the pics. Now go lube it and beat the hell out of it, please.

Thanks again,

Damian

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
that upper is real intresting
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a shooter!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]
very nice, but is it gas piston? Just kidding, don't kill me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm afraid all his rifles look like that. Brass marks on the deflector, handling marks, it is just a shame. All those guns are horribly devalued because they don't remain in the safe where they belong. The resale value on his stuff is virtually nill.

And you should see the condition his Glocks are in!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#8]
A Glock for everyday of the week, except Sunday

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
And what caliber(s) would all of those Glocks be???? The AR build is awsome.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
but look at those brass marks on your deflector... thats a real shame!

and his magazine has handling marks on it too!

Jeff - Nice looking rig you have there and something very similar to what I just built (with the exeption of the Aimpoint).  Mid lengths are quickly becoming my favorites
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

9mm ........ Helps on the logistics

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I was down at ADCO about a week ago and he handed me one of those rifles with that receiver, the UTE2, or something like that.  Ugly - yes, but functional.  No chance at all of the BUIS coming loose on that one, is there????  It looks just like the receiver on my M4gery, except mine wears an LMT BUIS, with more moving parts to fail.  Will they ever fail - not likely, but the BUIS never comes off, so why have them????  Things to think about.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Very Nice.

Looking at the 4th picture, where did you get that safety selector with the nub at the end?
Is that OE RRA or aftermarket?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks great man! But now you're gonna need an AR to go with every glock

You mentioned you had seen some 2 stage triggers bite the big one before....do you happen to know what happened to them?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think he has that problem covered
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You mentioned you had seen some 2 stage triggers bite the big one before....do you happen to know what happened to them?

I've got the AR's covered....probably need to pick up one more Glock so my 7th AR won't be lonely

I'm not a gun plumber so I'm not good at identifying problems..... I just know about every class that I've been at, 2 stage triggers tend to go tit's up.....leaving the shooter looking for another gun.....or sitting behind the line, trying to fix his gun.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Very Nice.

Looking at the 4th picture, where did you get that safety selector with the nub at the end?

Thanks.

Factory RRA selector

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It looks just like the receiver on my M4gery, except mine wears an LMT BUIS, with more moving parts to fail.  Will they ever fail - not likely, but the BUIS never comes off, so why have them????  Things to think about.

Not sure I copy you Mongo001............maybe it will make more sense when I'm not under the infulence of an adult beverage

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

9mm, YO!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]
TO ALL,

THANKS FOR THE COMPLEMENTS!!!!!  AND THANKS TO STEVE AND THE GUYS AT ADCO!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Jeff,
Thanks for sharing.  More evidence of the good work from ADCO.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

9mm ........ Helps on the logistics

Pay attention guys... Close attention.

I also Had ADCO profile a chrome lined RRA middy barrel for me, and to a similar profile... I love it. My pictures wouldnt turn out nearly as well...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It looks just like the receiver on my M4gery, except mine wears an LMT BUIS, with more moving parts to fail.  Will they ever fail - not likely, but the BUIS never comes off, so why have them????  Things to think about.

Not sure I copy you Mongo001............maybe it will make more sense when I'm not under the infulence of an adult beverage

I have a "fixed" BUIS - an LMT, but it isn't truly fixed like this one is.  If you were going to build a carbine and have a fixed BUIS on it all the time, why not go with this.  That was my point.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have a "fixed" BUIS - an LMT, but it isn't truly fixed like this one is.  If you were going to build a carbine and have a fixed BUIS on it all the time, why not go with this.  That was my point.

Very good point.....the simplier the better\

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Does that UTE upper work with an EoTech like the dominator mount does?

Jake
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:26:44 AM EDT
[#28]
What optic do you have mounted on that rifle?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:55:40 AM EDT
[#29]
EO Tech or Aimpoint will work on the gun.  Any NON magnified optic will work.

The optic on the gun is an Aimpoint ML2

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#30]
USMC,

Which glock model do you like seeing you have 6? BTW. you keep any behind the clock or in the ice box?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
USMC,

Which glock model do you like seeing you have 6? BTW. you keep any behind the clock or in the ice box?

For shooting matches / competition, tactical stuff, uniformed patrol....I LOVE the 34

For carring concealed and shooting self defense related matches, plain clothes detective work, etc. I LOVE the 19.

The Glock 19 is on my hip all day every day for 12+ hours....both on and off duty.

I keep a gun within arms reach 24/7

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow thx for the rapid response, i was wondering, My cousin is planing on buying a XD9,  his main reasons are the ext. saftey and they way it felt in his hand. when he told me the first reason I didnt believe that matterd to much but the second one seals the deal,do you like thesehandguns any experience with them?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Wow thx for the rapid response, i was wondering, My cousin is planing on buying a XD9,  his main reasons are the ext. saftey and they way it felt in his hand. when he told me the first reason I didnt believe that matterd to much but the second one seals the deal,do you like thesehandguns any experience with them?

XD's are decent pistols.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I keep a gun within arms reach 24/7

Pay close attention #2.    

Nice build Jeff!  I predict you are going to:
1) Build an identical clone, but in green
2) Build an almost identical clone, so some airsofter can post, "That's the same gun!"
or
3) Sell it in a month on the EE   (I'm betting on the first two)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Nice build Jeff!  I predict you are going to:
1) Build an identical clone, but in green
2) Build an almost identical clone, so some airsofter can post, "That's the same gun!"
or
3) Sell it in a month on the EE   (I'm betting on the first two)

Thanks Kisara! ...............This will probably be my last gun for a while......Got everything the way I want it..................No duplicates are in the works

Just gotta wait until December for my Accuracy International Artic Warfare sniper rifle and US Optics SN3 to arrive......
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Very Nice.

Thanks.

RRA Star Safety.

$9

Part number AR0104D

HERE

WIZZO

EDIT: Oh, and that's a nice looking rifle you got there. How's it shoot?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Any NON magnified optic will work.

Stupid question, why wouldn't a magnified optic work?  Or is it just that you would need a mount to move the magnified optic up so the front sight isn't in the way?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any NON magnified optic will work.

Stupid question, why wouldn't a magnified optic work?  Or is it just that you would need a mount to move the magnified optic up so the front sight isn't in the way?

The rear sight is in the way.  With a non-magnified optic, you can (co-witness) the iron sights .

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#39]
nice
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Killer mid-length USMC03!!  

You mentioned that the HBAR was too heavy (agreed) and that the government profile was too thin.  Just wondering why the gov profile is too thin?  Strength and accuracy issues?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#41]
USMC03,

What is the weight difference between your custom barrel profile and the stock profile?

Again...sweeeeet AR!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Killer mid-length USMC03!!  

You mentioned that the HBAR was too heavy (agreed) and that the government profile was too thin.  Just wondering why the gov profile is too thin?  Strength and accuracy issues?

Personal preference......I wanted a profile that would be a little more rigid, wouldn't get as hot so quickly, etc, without getting too heavy.

If I remember correctly the govt profile is 0.64"...........On your standard AR / M16 the profile of the barrel FOWARD of the front sight post is 0.75"........Under than hand guards this barrel is 0.73", so it's almost the same profile the entire length of the barrel.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
USMC03,

What is the weight difference between your custom barrel profile and the stock profile?

Again...sweeeeet AR!

I don't know what the weight difference between this barrel and an HBAR is, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
USMC03,

Again...sweeeeet AR!

I don't know what the weight difference between this barrel and an HBAR is, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I have a factory RRA UTE 2 w/ stainless bbl. If you to want strip and weigh I will weigh mine.
Like I said I have NO accesories yet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:41:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I have a factory RRA UTE 2 w/ stainless bbl. If you to want strip and weigh I will weigh mine.
Like I said I have NO accesories yet.

Thanks for the offer, but it would be too labor instensive to remove everything just to get a weight reading.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top