Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 11:43:35 AM EDT
What do I need to consider when having a barrel chopped down? I am going to have a 6.8SPC 16in Hbar chopped down to 12inches, what all is going to be needed to be done to make sure it will run reliably?? Gas port enlarged? if so I'm sure I can have that done right away? never delt with sub16in barrels before and I want to make sure this thing is going to run reliably as it's going to be used for hunting and at the range.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What do I need to consider when having a barrel chopped down? I am going to have a 6.8SPC 16in Hbar chopped down to 12inches, what all is going to be needed to be done to make sure it will run reliably?? Gas port enlarged? if so I'm sure I can have that done right away? never delt with sub16in barrels before and I want to make sure this thing is going to run reliably as it's going to be used for hunting and at the range.

Making sure you have all the required paperwork in order to keep it legal!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Making sure you have all the required paperwork in order to keep it legal!!!!

Yah obvliously.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
There's probably not too much data on chopped 6.8 barrels out there, but I'm sure it is out there, you just need to ask the right person.  MSTN would be my first choice.

When I chop 20" barrels, I start with the standard gas port size and bump the size up in 0.002" increments until I get satisfactory operation with all types of ammo.  I use Wolf as my low end base line load.  

Well, you really can't do that with 6.8, but you can use different ammo, if you have access to it.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top