Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 9:52:07 AM EDT
I would like to put a vertical forward grip on my AR.  And while many of the forearm rail systems that are advertised by the sellers/sponsors on this site seem to outstanding, I just can't spend hundreds of dollars on something like that right now.

I would like the option to mount accessories on the rail in the future, though, right now I'm only planning on the forward vertical grip.  So, the short rail pieces that attach to the existing handguards isn't really what I am looking for.

I'd like to spend around one hundred dollars or less.  Can anyone point me towards what is available?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#1]
YHM two piece non-FF.  It is $107 here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
YHM two piece non-FF.  It is $107 here.

+1 for yhm they make good stuff I really like there FF stuff but if you dont want the pain in installing that the one mongo posted will be great for you.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have some good experience with First Saamco's rail systms...

I have their full length quad rail system on my 20" H-Bar, also have a Hogue vert grip... Works perfectly. Got the rail system for roughly $100-$120.

The rail system is just a composite plastic, not syramic or steel/metal/whatever like some of the other manufacturers, but I've had this rail system for well over 8 months and it's still as durable and as clean as the day I got it.

Shop around, have fun with it, and be sure to ENJOY IT! :-)

-Covert
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmm, with the rails being composite plastic, have you ever been concerned with the individual rail pieces breaking under heat from the barrel or otherwise?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Not at all, I've shot 60 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and switch out mags, and the forends were still pretty cool, and I still shot another 120 rounds that day too.  I have rail covers, but I don't like using them, I think it kind of takes away from the pimpness of the rails :-).

But if I'm doing something that I probably shouldn't be doing or I'm letting a friend or someone handle my rifle, I usually put the rail covers on, it's not that I doubt the durability of them, it's just better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
yankee hill machine

brightflashlights in the industry forum carries a good line of them
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You should look into the Surefire M73.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Midwest Industries 2-piece no-smith system all the way!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#9]
if i were you i would save up and get a Troy/DD/Larue rail
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Olympic Arms FIRSH is inexpensive, rock solid, free floating, and lightweight.  It is not as refined, etc as models costing two to three times as much, but is the best bang for the buck IMHO.  I have one on a carbine and it does everything I need it to.  I like my RASII better, but it also cost a LOT more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Miswest Industries 2-piece no-smith system all the way!!

I am a huge fan of the Surefire M73 and I highly recommend them but if I would look very seriously at the Midwest Industries one.  They are a little cheaper than the M73 and seem to be very well made.  For the money I beleive the MI forearm to be the best buy
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got 2 YHM lightweights...for the money they're tough to beat.  

I also have a Fulton Armory one that is VERY solid.  It's heavier than the YHMs, but it's still not too heavy.  

I was gonna get the FIRSH, but ended up just driving over to MD and picking up the FA one.  

At this point, though, I'd say get a YHM...you can't go wrong.  

Yankee Hill can also install the forend for you, if you don't want to mess with it yourself.

I would *not* recommend the First Samco Handguards that just replace your existing handguards...they're not very sturdy.  YHM has metal ones that are MUCH more robust, a buddy of mine has those on his M4gery.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey,

Still a newbie to the forum and my Bushy carbine.  I too have been wanting to add a rail handguard to my Bushy A2.  I will be getting a different upper (flat top) down the road a bit, so for now I've been looking at things to dress the A2 up a bit, and make it more user friendly.

Without dropping major $$$'s, I've been looking at the YHM 2-pc 4 rail, the SAMCO's, and a few others under $150.

The most I'll be mounting on it is a vertical grip and a tac light.

I don't foresee me doing anything hardcore with it (training classes, bump firing with C-mags, etc), and it won't necessarily be the first line of defense against invading hordes of wally-world shopping cart ladies or anything like that - (besides I have a my attack/sexually confused Basset Hound to deal with them).

I have seen a few rail handguards that have heat shields with them, and/or covers.  I know the covers will help a bit, but do the heat shields do much?  I didn't see them offered with the YHM.

Thanks in advance for any and all help on this one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Olympic Arms FIRSH is inexpensive, rock solid, free floating, and lightweight.  It is not as refined, etc as models costing two to three times as much, but is the best bang for the buck IMHO.  I have one on a carbine and it does everything I need it to.  I like my RASII better, but it also cost a LOT more.

Big +1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top