Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 7:51:53 PM EDT
I have several Bushmaster upper receivers.  But, I recently got several DPMS stripped A1 upper receivers.

I noticed that when I thump (hit) the DPMS uppers with my finger, it will have a "ting" or "ping" sound to it, and I can feel the vibration travel thru the piece.  It is very similar to a tuning-fork type of sound and vibration.

When I do the same thing to my Bushmaster uppers, they produce a dull, dampened "thud".

Both Bushmaster and DPMS claim that the uppers are Forged from 7075 aluminum that has been T6 heat treated.

The DPMS upper will ping (act like a tuning fork) the most if thumped along the carry handle railway.  I have several DPMS A1 uppers that I just purchased from a very reliable vendor.  It does Not seem to matter if the upper is stripped or completed assembled and attached to a lower (in condition 3).  The "ping" sounds the same with the stripped and assembled DPMS upper.

WHY DOES THE DPMS ACT LIKE A TUNING FORK ???
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The recievers have less metal [thinner walls ,handle area ect.] and they are made from forgings the same place as the A2and A3 upper receivers come from. I have several old and new A1 and A1E3  receivers that do the same thing and these come from 3 different forging company's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top