Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 3:33:52 PM EDT
I have a RAS II and I'm not totally diggng the Kight's rail covers.
Do the Magpul covers have: more "grip"and a thinner profile than the Knight's?
Are the Tango Down covers better or worse than the Magpuls?
I have not had hands on either of the latter but am leaning towards the Magpul because they appear to be more "grippy" and don't seem to require a locking device to hold them on.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Do the Magpul covers have: more "grip"

Yes

and a thinner profile than the Knight's?
Not really. They're a bit wider and just a bit thicker.

Are the Tango Down covers better or worse than the Magpuls?
That depends. They're different but whether they're better or worse is a matter of opinion based upon their differences.

I have not had hands on either of the latter but am leaning towards the Magpul because they appear to be more "grippy" and don't seem to require a locking device to hold them on.
The Magpuls do feel a bit "stickier" than the TDs and much more so than the Knights. The TDs have a rougher service than then KAC panels but they are substantially thicker than either panel.

The TD panels can lock into any rail slot whereas the KAC can only lock into the first or last slots of the rails. As you know, the Magpul panels can also lock into any slot also.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my Magpul XTs.  They are very "sticky" in the hand due to the rubber pebble texture.  ALTHOUGH I will add that I just received a set of OD magpuls (my first set was black) and the green ones are noticeably more "plastic" feeling than the black ones, and as a result not QUITE as grippy, but I still like the texture.  They are also stiffer, which means they go on and off a little harder, which in my book is a good thing.

A guy at the range let me try out his EOTech a few months ago, and it had TangoDown panels on the KAC forend...  I really did NOT like them as they were surprisingly wide on the rail.  I guess if width isn't an issue, they'd be "all that" as they did have a great texture as well, but more like an HK USP pistol's grip texture.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally do not like the Tango DOwn rail panels just like Onslaught said.

Side by side they are quite  abit thicker than the KAC. But not too much. Unfortunately once you put 3 of them on your looking at a HUGE handguard versus the hinner profile of the KAC. I have small hands and the Tango down even on my MRP (thinnest profile rail system currently made) and it felt HUGE, with the KAC on; I was in A2 heaven all over again re-living the first time I held an M16, selector on burst and blasted away 4 clips when our range session was over and we had lots of ammo left.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm using XT panels right now but keep looking for a good reason to try some TD.  THe main thing that is holding me back on the TD is the fact that they have to slide onto the rail.  I got spoiled real quick by the XT...being able to move them around very easily and quickly.

I must say that all in all I like the feel of the XT the best.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input gentleman.
I ordered a couple Magpuls from G&R and will see how I like them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top