Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 8:03:17 AM EDT
What is the deal with this caliber is something to look into or is it something that is just going to fade away.
Has anybody checked out the piston driven uppers from anyone?
Thanks
43E1P
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
from what I understand it's not as good as the 6.5 grendel but hell, you can get an AR in at least 7 different calibres other than 5.56 so I don't see why one more would catch on any bigger than the rest.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
from what I understand it's not as good as the 6.5 grendel but hell, you can get an AR in at least 7 different calibres other than 5.56 so I don't see why one more would catch on any bigger than the rest.

I heard the 6.5 was good for target shooting, the 6.8 was good for fighting and killing stuff.

We all hear different things. I have no experiance with either, so I'm not really qualified to say. But all the tech junk I've read and all the info put out by the guys that use 6.8 right now says thats the cal I want to use in my AR if I'm not going to use 5.56x45. Of course I'm building it as an SBR for pig/deer hunting
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The 6.8 is alive and well, and millions of rds. being made, and various makers.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Jack wrote: "The 6.8 is alive and well, and millions of rds. being made, and various makers."

Do you have independently verifiable sources for this claim?

John
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Grendelizor:
Maybe Jack is just having a little fun with the 6.8 ammo thing. As far as I know ammo and brass for the the 6.8 SPC is still at little more than a trickle.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
My latest Midway flyer lists 3 flavors of 6.8. Haven't tried to order any yet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Grendelizor:
Maybe Jack is just having a little fun with the 6.8 ammo thing. As far as I know ammo and brass for the the 6.8 SPC is still at little more than a trickle.

Joe

The Horandy rep at Perry said ammo "should" be shipping soon.  This will be the "new" 6.8 ammo - not as hot as the original speced ammo people were buying at first.

Thanks for the info Bigbore. I have a case of Hornady 110 grain V-max on back order, mabe it will be shipping soon.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
From Sportman's Guide

We're sorry, this item (Product: Remington® Premier® Match Rifle 6.8 Rem.® SPC 115 Gr. MK-BTHP 20 rds. (WX2-85581)) is not currently in stock. This backordered item will be delivered as soon as we get new stock in our warehouse. You will not be billed until the item is shipped.
This item is expected at Sportsman's Guide on August 11, 2005.
If you do not want to order this item, please remove the item from your Shopping Cart.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Just two weeks ago my dealer got some of the Remington 115 gr. MK BTHP 6.8 and I bought it all (280 rounds).   The same day I got notice from Midway that they had some of the same ammo in but they were sold out my 8:00 AM.  While still not exactly a flood, it is coming.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
So, the 6.8 isn't all that dead, but I wonder what the true backing will be if/when the .mil officially cans the project.

And I have heard internet rumors of DMR type rifles in 6.5 G, so is that the next ARFCOM craze?

I took bigbore's advice and got an AR-10.  Pics and range report very soon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So, the 6.8 isn't all that dead, but I wonder what the true backing will be if/when the .mil officially cans the project.

And I have heard internet rumors of DMR type rifles in 6.5 G, so is that the next ARFCOM craze?

Why not create more ar10 threads instead of crapping in all of the 6.8 ones?  It is an interesting round and there are quite a few people interested in what it will do.  Try taking a clue from the libs and celebrate diversity.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not create more ar10 threads instead of crapping in all of the 6.8 ones?  It is an interesting round and there are quite a few people interested in what it will do.  Try taking a clue from the libs and celebrate diversity.  

Thank you, forum police.  I was responding to bigbore's comment of getting an AR-10 as an option.  Do I crap in all the 6.8 threads?  Does this make you angry?  More reason to keep on doing what I'm doing, then.

More than one person in the know has stated that the 6.8, if adopted at all, will have a very limited role in any military camps.  I waited to see if this was for real or a flash in the pan.  What may be occuring out is a flash in the pan.  I sit and wait.  I'm not ready to wait by the computer or mailbox, waiting for a backorder opprotunity for one or maybe two range trips.  Meanwhile, I've got something to entertain myself with.

Additionally, there seems to be some underground movement in favor of the 6.5 G, in some limited role, so that may very well be the next flash in the pan.  Who knows.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mongo didn't crap in this thread, no where near it in fact. Stop bing so touchy, feely, sensative over a freaking rifle round.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Not touchy feely over a round, I just find it helpful when people stick to the general purpose of the thread.  The guy had general questions about the 6.8 and where if it is going to live or not.

What is the deal with this caliber is something to look into or is it something that is just going to fade away.
Thanks
43E1P

I dont recall him asking if you prefer an ar10 or 6.5 or anything else here.  

The only reason that I said anything regarding this is this isnt the first 6.8 thread that he stated that he got an ar10 in when talking about the 6.8.  Thats nice and all but irrelevant.  

I enjoy mongos threads and worklogs and feels that he has a lot to contribute to the board but it is not necessary to post in 6.8 threads if you are not interested in it  and do not have anything constructive to say.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my 6.8 I have plenty of ammo for it. I reload it, as do lots of people on the board. Will you ever find it at a walmart in value-packs? Highly unlikely, our resident know-it-alls have told the military they didnt like it so it must have been killed. But to answer your question I like mine and it shoots real well. I'm only a paper puncher on week-ends though
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry did someone ask YOUR opinion on what should be posted here?

No?

I didn't think so.

STFU!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not touchy feely over a round, I just find it helpful when people stick to the general purpose of the thread.  The guy had general questions about the 6.8 and where if it is going to live or not.

Thanks
43E1P

I dont recall him asking if you prefer an ar10 or 6.5 or anything else here.  

The only reason that I said anything regarding this is this isnt the first 6.8 thread that he stated that he got an ar10 in when talking about the 6.8.  Thats nice and all but irrelevant.  

I enjoy mongos threads and worklogs and feels that he has a lot to contribute to the board but it is not necessary to post in 6.8 threads if you are not interested in it  and do not have anything constructive to say.

Take your own advice!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm considering adopting 6.8 as a good pig-killer.  Texas has lots of them, and I've been told it works well in this application, something 5.56 doesn't do well.  I guess I could go .50 Beowulf too, but I like having 25 round magazine capacity.  

My take on it being adopted (and remember, I'm not speaking for anyone, the military included) is that it will be difficult to adopt the 6.8 considering all of the existing .223 hardware.  From my armchair, it's easy to say the 6.8 is a better round for shooting bad guys, but the people charged with making that decision most likely have more to consider than just that.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, TX pigs are so tough a .223 cant kill em well...

Thats funny as hell!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Well according to Dr. Gary Roberts (he needs no introduction), the ideal assault rifle cartridge is 7 x 46mm.  

And according to Troy (Site Staff), this round can meet or exceed 7.62 x 51mm NATO, and yet retains the benefits of reduced weight, magazine capacity, recoil, etc...

Justin
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Justin wrote: "The ideal assault rifle cartridge is 7 x 46mm."

What would the case head size be, or another way of asking is what existing cartridge would it be based on?

John
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Subscribed to thread so that I can read Mongo's range report. Them there AR10s are very interesting. Did you get the Bushmaster version? Like the idea of FAL mags being used. The 308 is just like the trusty hound dog you leave on the porch, always ready for work.

That 6.5 Grendal sure looks interesting. I really can't wait to get the opportunity to shoot some long range with one.

Oh, 6.8 content in this post consists of the fact that it seems to be a vapor-cartridge for the general public consumption. Those that got ammo brag it up, but it always seems like only one person bought the ammo from a source and then the source was all out. Figures.
It also seems like it doesn't stack up to all the initial velocity figures being bandied about.

Flame on, then sod off.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought into it and I really like the rifle that I put together with Bravocompany's help.

Its accurate.  I plan on using if for deer and hogs.

Ammo:  I am set up to reload.  Just got 500 empty brass.  

Is the ammo out yet?  Yep, just in small amounts.

Will it become widespread?  I beleive it will.  This is the first time I have ever bought into a new cartridge before it became popular and widespread.  I am still happy with the cartridge and the rifle.

As far as a 7.62,mm, I have a Rem 700 and a HK91.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Justin wrote: "The ideal assault rifle cartridge is 7 x 46mm."

What would the case head size be, or another way of asking is what existing cartridge would it be based on?

John

I think it was designed as a new cartridge from the ground up.

I do know for sure that it was developed by the USAMU.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yeah, TX pigs are so tough a .223 cant kill em well...

Thats funny as hell! hr

I know, I'm a comedian.  I just want a round that does it the first time.  I'm not good enough to make them all ear-shots, with my AR, so the 6.8 should help compensate for my lack of talent.  I know my .270 does it well, but it's not as easy to shoot in a hurry.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Silver State Armory is taking up 6.8 production for barret and LW.  All ART can spare for me is 60 rounds to test fire some weapons, but that is verification enough for me!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#30]
BTW, Silver State will not sell direct, so don't go trying to buy from them.  You will have to deal with their distributers (so far the two I mention above) and whomever else Art makes deals with.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I did a search on the 7x46 and didn't find anything on the internet.

Anyone have some more info on this cartridge?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It's not on the internet.  S&B has the ammo, although it's experimental at the moment.  Apparently, they will not manufacture ammo for rifles that don't exist.  I'll IM you more details when I get home from work.

In other words, let's pressure the major AR-15 makers to chamber an AR type weapon (the AR-15 action is too short and the AR-10 action is too long) in 7 x 46 mm (I asked Leitner-Wise Rifle Co. and they said they will look into it, depending on the exact case dimensions and all).

I wish we could generate enough interest in this cartridge.  

In the words of a highly respected ballistics authority:

By using modern powders and ballistic knowledge, this cartridge is able to offer performance as good or better than .308 in all areas (including long range), but is smaller, lighter, has less recoil, etc. But .308 is so well established that the 7mm SPC has no chance of being made.

The highlighted sentence is the most depressing part.  Sometimes, I really hate the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ideology (although, I appreciate its merits, this way of thinking is not conducive to advancement).

Justin
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:07:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Tex,

Check your IM's.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I just ordered an upper from Eagle Firearms and will let everyone know what I think.  I got the 16" HBAR and 3 boxes of Remington Ammo.  I expect there to be more brass, ammo, and load data available with time, but there already seems to be a wealth of information from those who shoot it.  There are two FAQ threads also that have a lot of useful info on the 6.8 here and here.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Oddly enough, I seem to remember posting that the Army wasn't going to field 6.8 spc due to supply logistics problems, over a year ago, and was castigated severely by you fine ARF.com folks as being ignorant.  

And you wonder where I get the attitude problem?  But you probably don't, as a significant number of you know everything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not on the internet.  S&B has the ammo, although it's experimental at the moment.  Apparently, they will not manufacture ammo for rifles that don't exist.  I'll IM you more details when I get home from work.

In other words, let's pressure the major AR-15 makers to chamber an AR type weapon (the AR-15 action is too short and the AR-10 action is too long) in 7 x 46 mm (I asked Leitner-Wise Rifle Co. and they said they will look into it, depending on the exact case dimensions and all).

I wish we could generate enough interest in this cartridge.  

In the words of a highly respected ballistics authority:

By using modern powders and ballistic knowledge, this cartridge is able to offer performance as good or better than .308 in all areas (including long range), but is smaller, lighter, has less recoil, etc. But .308 is so well established that the 7mm SPC has no chance of being made.

The highlighted sentence is the most depressing part.  Sometimes, I really hate the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ideology (although, I appreciate its merits, this way of thinking is not conducive to advancement).

Justin

======================
Yes, S&B is definitely working on producing the ammo, albeit in limited quantities for the time being.  My source on this came truly out of left field: the Bundeswehr!  yeah, I was in germany in Febuary and while working with the german Army on some joint weapons issues, one of their ordnance officers informed me that the BW is looking at the 6.8mm SPC...although at a very low level.  Bottom line: if USSOCOM goes for the 6.8mm SPC, the BW SOF crowd will potentially follow.   Besides, the BW officer told me, their experiences in Afghanistan have shoed that the 5.56mm ropund in the G36 just leave a lot to be desired in boith range and in terminal ballistics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top