Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 4:44:21 PM EDT
Or should I look into a 20in barrel.

The barrel will either be a WOA or a Kreiger.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
which ever you choose would most likely outshoot you anyways so get what you like.

i got a 16" and plan on a 18"

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It should be good to go.

I doubt a 20" will acomplish anything (except a couple extra FPS) that an 18" can't.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A simple answer - YES!

You'll be suprised how much more 'handy' an 18" 'feels".  Plus they look cooler...I think I may have heard a rumor your getting one...If you happen to get one from a fellow OK resident, email me and I'll give you some load recipes that work very well in mine.

No, that rumor is about a 16in Recon......I dis-avow any knowledge about said rifle.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Why does a Krieger cost more than a Wilson? Simply put Krieger is a superb product. Wilson is good. Krieger is much better. A gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I did not mean to step on your toes. I am a retired Marines armorer and now a gunsmith. I have people asking me these kinds of questions all the time. I have rifles barreled with Krieger, Shilen and factory barrels that I let potential clients shoot before they make a decision. They usually have a major interest in top-of-the-line quality until they hear the top-of-the-line prices involved. Again, my apologies. Charles.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I am familiar with GySgt Watsons' shooting ability. I retired in 1986 and all the shooters I used to know are retired themselves. The one shooter I was most privileged to meet was GySgt Carlos Hathcock II. We had a few beers together. An outstanding Marine. Semper Fi. Charles.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the point to remember is:

You might get a Wilson that shoots like a Krieger, but if you get the Krieger you are guaranteed a barrel that shoots like a Krieger-- IE: If you buy top of the line you can eliminate the possibility that a more expensive barrel would be a better product, and you can gaurantee you don't have to swap it out and waste money to get the performance you wanted.  

They are expensive, but so is selling a used barrel for a loss and buying the more expensive barrel.

I saw a magazine article though that suggested a triple cryoed barrel from a company called Broughton might better both Al Paulson stated that he was shooting 1.4inch groups at 650yds with factory Black Hills 77grain SMK's  

Oddly enough they are also built in Wisconsin
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#13]
My question is not so much as what make of barrel to get, as to how would the 18in barrel with a 1 in 7 twist perform vs the same twist in a 20 or 24 in barrel?

As for why I would want a Krieger barrel, why not? If I have the funds to pay for it, then that is the barrel I plan on getting, if not then a WOA barrel.

I am sure Wilson makes a good barrel, but I am in the market for a WOA or Krieger, and the Krieger is top billing.

I also hope any rifle I have can "out shoot me" leaves me more room for improvement.

Thanks for all the information guys.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I build a number of rifles for clients every year. Every one has a custom barrel made from a barrel blank. The client specifies what bullet weights he wants to shoot and I order a blank of apprpriate twist. All my barrels are either Krieger or Shilen select match. I really like the 18 inch barrel as it is a good compromise between ease of handling and accuracy. There is a velocity loss when compared to a 20 inch barrel.

Regardless of length the barrels are all accurate and have been well received by my clients. That said the Pac Nor polygonal rifling really intrigues me. I suspect that it may be the 3rd barrel blank that I stock for clients. The 18 inch barrel imparts sufficient velocity to the 223/5.56 projectile to allow it to perform in the velocity window for which it has been designed. A Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top