Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 1:07:53 AM EDT
Thinking about building an MRP 10.5" based SBR.  Upon initial review it looks like it'll be kind of an expensive build.  Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, alternatives?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Off course it will be expensive.  A good alternative would be an LMT 10.5" upper with LaRue 9.0 and LaRue gas block.  Or you could go with a Troy Industries MRF-M on the LMT 10.5" upper if you want a more MRP look.  If the cash isn't a problem, I would go with the CQB MRP.  If funds are tight, go with the 10.5" LMT with LaRue 9.0.  

P.S.-  One of the new Noveske CQB uppers would also be a kickass build, but they are pretty pricey, too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Got an email from JTAC today.  I think i'll go with the LMT 10.5" and the Troy 10" combo.  If i go that route i can get a complete rifle for around the same price as just the MRP upper.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#3]
JTAC has done all my builds so you will be happy.

You have done all the paper work to register your lower for this SBR also haven't you?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]
No haven't done the paperwork yet.  I'm actually in Iraq right now and only about half way through the deployment.  I plan on building an SBR rig and a Varmint rig when i get back.  I've just had some down time lately and internet is convenient for now, so i've been doing alot of pricing and window shopping.  

Do both the upper and the lower have to be registerred or is it only when you put them together?  I guess the real question is can i order the two seperately and not register untill i put them together?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#5]
You just have to register the lower and pay the $200 tax stamp and then you can put all the short barreled uppers you want on it.  It is illegal to own a short barrel upper and have it even if it is not pinned to the lower so I would wait until my lower was registered.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do both the upper and the lower have to be registerred or is it only when you put them together?  I guess the real question is can i order the two seperately and not register untill i put them together?

only the lower is registered. check in NFA section on SBR laws, it was my understanding of the law that if you had an SBR upper and an unregistered lower it was illegal, regardless of it was assembled.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Allright.  I'll start getting the paperwork together, either way i've got nothing but time right now.

thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want to keep the upper and lower together while you wait for the paperwork to come back, just build up the lower as a pistol. Once the Form 4 comes back, put on the stock.

Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#10]
MSTN-
Those MSTN's look pretty slick.  Didn't see any pricing on your web site.  Can you quote me some prices on the different SBR variations you offer?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:33:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Haven't looked into the pistol route...  What makes an AR pistol a pistol and not a SBR? Is it just how its registered?  

Not ever having an interest in an AR pistol i could be incorrect -- but aren't they fairly expensive?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Haven't looked into the pistol route...  What makes an AR pistol a pistol and not a SBR? Is it just how its registered?  

Not ever having an interest in an AR pistol i could be incorrect -- but aren't they fairly expensive?

When you purchase your lower, have it sold to you as a pistol instead of a rifle.  Then add the parts, but do not add a buttstock.  You can use a modified carbine extension with buffer and spring, or you can use a pistol specific extension with accompanying hardware.  Whatever you choose, make sure that the weapon cannot accept a stock without replacing the extension.  Then you just add the upper and voila, you have an AR pistol.  When your paperwork is approved and you have your form in hand, replace the extension and add the stock of your choice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#13]
sounds easy enough.

thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Like you said, you have time so just do it the regular way and don't mess with the pistol lower idea.  That's just my opinion anyway.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey thanks for the input guys.  I've got another 5 months to let it rattle around in my brain, but i think i like the looks of the MRP the best and what the hell, it's only another couple hundred dollars.  

Everyone talks about how cool these SBRs look especially the CQB MRP (and i agree) but haven't heard or seen much on how they shoot --

Any one know of some good articles out there specific to the CQB MRP?

And relative to all SBR ARs:

How's the accuracy?
Are there any problems with malfunctions due to the shorter barrels?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Just found the YMH web sight.  They have rail mounted, flip up front and rear sights that look very similar to the Troys but for much less than Troy flip ups.  What does Troy give me that YMH doesn't?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Troy sights are well built and reliable. I can't speak to the YHM directly, as I haven't owned one of their sights, but I have used and owned some other YHM products and found them to be serviceable, but not of the same quality as its more expensive competition.

I have a bit of experience with the 10.5" MRP. Its a nice setup. Don't get the "Enhanced" bolt or carrier.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
THE NOVESKI BARREL 10.5" UPPER SHOOTS 3/4 MOA.

TOP THAT.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

I can't wait until someone does!!!  3/4 MOA out of a 10.5" barrel should prove that barrel length has little if anything to do with accuracy...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#21]
a peice in a magazine talking about the MRP for about 7 pages already said the 10.5 bbl did .5 moa with BH ammo
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#23]
The YHM sights in NO WAY compare to the Troy's.

There is also NO WAY a chrome lined 10.5 LMT barrel is going to shoot .5moa.

Noveske owns the 10.5 accuracy world.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Straight from the JTAC site --
MRP
Monolithic Rail Platform
Innovative upper receiver design
featuring continuous rails
incorporated into the upper
receiver.  Quick change barrel
system, repeatable and accurate.  
Available in CQB(Carbine) or Rifle
length.

How "quick change" is it?  Is it along the lines of a Thompson Contender set up?  I'm wondering how easy it would be to upgrade to a Noveske barrel if i'm not happy with the MRP's accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#25]
As quick as taking them screws out, and replace w/different barrel (MRP barrel). The MRP uses a proprietary barrel, so no go w/the Noveske barrel on an MRP setup.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Straight from the JTAC site --
MRP
Monolithic Rail Platform
Innovative upper receiver design
featuring continuous rails
incorporated into the upper
receiver.  Quick change barrel
system, repeatable and accurate.  
Available in CQB(Carbine) or Rifle
length.

How "quick change" is it?  Is it along the lines of a Thompson Contender set up?  I'm wondering how easy it would be to upgrade to a Noveske barrel if i'm not happy with the MRP's accuracy.

It takes a couple minutes to get your torque wrench set and the bolts out.  I would say start to finish with a little experience would take 5 minutes or so.  I think part of the appeal of the MRP was the thought of using barrels of different calibers.  Right now it is 5.56 only with 6.8 on the way (depending on which rumors you believe, LMT wants 200k rounds of 6.8 for testing before production of the barrels).  If you want accuracy I would go the Noveske route.  The 16" SS barrel in the MRP is consistently reported as the most accurate.

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#27]
One of the reasons I wouldn't get the MRP is you can only use MRP barrels.  I say stick with a regular upper and pick whatever barrel you want.  If cost wasn't on option I would get the Noveske CQB barrel and LaRue 9.0.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank you for your service.

I wish I could buy everyone of you guys and gals the rifle of your choice just for doing what you do.

Just know that we are with you and support you in every way.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you, i appreciate your support for the military as well as all the technical information on ARs that everyone has given me on this site
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top