Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 7:03:05 PM EDT
OK, so maybe not super unusual, but definitely not run of the mill:

I have an upper receiver I bought from another guy that is black with engraved and painted T-markings.  The barrel on it is a 16" dark gray parked M4 profile with chrome lining.  The only markings on the barrel are the stamp "MP" on the top near the muzzle, which I take to mean "mag particle tsted" per standard barrel markings.  The twist is not marked, but appears to be 1 in 9.  the front sight base is forged with a bayonet lug, and has the raised forge markings "F01[symbols in a circle, maybe R1 or M]2" on the right side.

Any guessed who made it?  The barrel nut doesn't have any signs of having been removed/reset or buggered, so I would hazard a guess it could be the original barrel on the upper receiver.

Oh, and it shoots great!  Just want to know who made it!

Dawg
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, let's try this with a simpler question:

has anyone ever seen a barrel marked solely with "MP" on the top near the muzzle?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Got me by the balls.

But FYI,

M = Magna particle tested
P = Proof Load
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me give you two possibilities;  both off the top of my head.

1)  A lot of Colt stuff has been coming out recently, with fewer markings than they used to put on.

2) Continental has been putting out bolts simply marked MP, and I'm wondering if they're not doing the equivalent w/their barrel markings.

My own hunch is on number 2, but since I've not seen any recent Conti barrels, I have to label it a guess.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the barrel is at a minimum two years old, as that is when I got it from somone else, and I honestly don't know how long he had it for.

I guess the other question is what companies are MP testing their barrels?  I know Colt does, but how many others do?  Not many I would imagine...

Hmm, well at least those are soem leads....if anyone else has thoughts, please speak up!

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Have I offically stumped the Hive Mind???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top