Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 8:11:00 AM EDT
This is probably obvious,  but looking at the square looking Badger free float handguards -  (Picture)

For one,  how do these mount?  I have not seen any pictures with a barrel nut or anything.

Are they as heavy as they look?

Any comments from those who have used them would be appreciated
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
A mounting block screws onto the front of the receiver, then the barrel nut fits into the mounting block engaging the barrel extension. Then the gas tube is lined up, the handguard is slid on and is secured with three screws into the mounting block. then the gas block is re-installed. My gunsmith did my installation.

The tube is sturdy, heavy, and well ventilated. I like the way it fits both my hand and rests (not prone to roll like round handguards).
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
That makes sense now looking at pictures of them, thanks for the explanation.

Would you say they are roughly as heavy as the round tubes or quite a bit more?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Its quite a bit heavier than plastic or fiberglass handguards. I'd really like to see some made out of plastic, reinforced internally by aluminum bands. Probably sort of like the hanguards on a PSG1.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Having looked at quite a few of the free float threads, I am wondering if this unit is suitable to mount  a red dot optic on it? Since I am putting this on a carbon fiber BM upper with the built in rear sight, mounting the optic on the forearm is the only way to cowitness the sights.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't tell from the descriptions, but are these free floating? Are there other threads that discuss these? I tried in the search and wasn't able to come up with anything other than this one in the past 30 days. If an optic needs to be stretched over from the receiver due to the length, are these level with the rear and stable enough (No twisting) and repeatable enough to allow a ring to be mounted on them, or should a seperate riser still be mounted on top of it connecting it to the receiver?
Anyone have pictures of these on their own rifles?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
chwi548,

I know the tube is free float based on the manufacturer's description and the installation instructions that moonpie gave earlier in the thread. There is a pic of carbine length badger ord forearm on RB Precision's website, it appears to be level with a mil-spec flattop.

As far as the question of matching rail level with the receiver, that all depends on which receiver you are building on. I am building on a Bushmaster Carbon fiber upper that has a raised rail and rear sight built into the receiver. So the answer, in my case, is no.

I am planning to mount an EOtech so I can't co witness the iron sights if I mount to the receiver rail. Thus I need to mount the optic in the scout position so that the iron sights are visible through the optic.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My goal is similar to a Recce setup. I need a carbine with a free float handguard, rail on top of the free float, 16 inch barrel, backup irons mounted on rail, and scope optic. Mine will be used for actual reconnaisance/surveilance stuff for work and will be a backup short range rifle in addition to a sniper rifle. My upper receiver is a DPMS A3 that I got when I got my Dissipator barrel, so it should be standard enough to match up. How does the block attach to the receiver? That's what I don't understand I guess.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, me too. I am not sure about that either. From the way it sounds, there is a new block that installs between the barrel nut and the reciever, but I am not sure how that would work.

I guess one of us is going to have to buy one and find out!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The Badger Ornance free-floated "Stabilizer" handguard is excellent on a rifle meant to be shot mostly prone and at long ranges. But it is surprisingly comfortable for sling-supported shooting, in my limited experience, when shooting in sitting, kneeling and offhand. Makes for a heavy rig, though.

Specs:
G.A. Precision AR-15, .223 match, Badger Ordnance "Stabilizer" handguard & "Speed Block," Leupold/Premier Reticles Mark 4 M1 6.5-20x50 mm Gen. 2 mil-dot first-focal-plane scope, TPS alloy 30 mm "high" rings, Rock River Arms lower, ArmaLite upper, Sierra Precision grip, A2 stock, Knights Armament Co. match trigger, Magpul triggerguard, Rock Creek/Mike Rock 5R 20" barrel, Harris S-BRM bipod, KMW Pod-Loc.

Details:
Weight: about 12 lbs., as pictured. Delivers 1/2 MOA accuracy with handload (Lapua brass, 24.0 gr. Varget, CCI-BR primer, 77 gr. Sierra MatchKing) if the shooter does his part -- and the damn wind is down.

Refer to or contact these vendors for pricing, details and whatnot. They are good-to-go outfits.

www.gaprecision.net

www.badgerordnance.com

www.premierreticles.com

Regards,
mib2000
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Will they fit with a weaver style gas block?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes they will, but you need to modify the gas block, and I had to destroy a alan key in order to get everything on correctly.  Do yourself a favor and just get a low profile gas block.  

This is the most rock solid float tube I have ever seen.  It is heavy, but solid.  I would have no problems mounting an Aimpoint on top.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes they will, but you need to modify the gas block, and I had to destroy a alan key in order to get everything on correctly.  Do yourself a favor and just get a low profile gas block.  

This is the most rock solid float tube I have ever seen.  It is heavy, but solid.  I would have no problems mounting an Aimpoint on top.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]
very nice when shooting prone without a bipod but too wide to carry for my short fingers....Get larue...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top