Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2005 10:58:56 PM EDT
My LMT stock, which is on an LMT tube, is now starting to creep about 1/8" inch forward/back just like the "replica" Greeno stock did, although not as bad.  This used to be the collapsing stock combo that had the tightest fit out of any of mine, almost to the point that it was a pain to slide open or close because it moved so slow.   Has anyone else with the genuine LMT stock experienced this yet?  

If it gets any worse, I might have to ship it to the great Mongo for a metal bushing around the pin.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need a Magpul.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for rubbing it in Wes!   I was planning on meeting up with SMGlee this Friday, and was going to bring this along for some fun.   I guess I will have to bring something else.   So far, the only weapon I have not damaged or broken is my Emerson Knife.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My LMT stock, which is on an LMT tube, is now starting to creep about 1/8" inch forward/back just like the "replica" Greeno stock did, although not as bad.  This used to be the collapsing stock combo that had the tightest fit out of any of mine, almost to the point that it was a pain to slide open or close because it moved so slow.   Has anyone else with the genuine LMT stock experienced this yet?  

If it gets any worse, I might have to ship it to the great Mongo for a metal bushing around the pin.  

what exactly causes the slippage?  can you describe more or show a pic?  what exactly is mongo's metal bushing, and what does it do?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:04:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that, K', I'd gladly make you a bushing or install one for you, if that's easier for you.  That way you could run an abuse test on it for all of us.  If you want a bushing to install yourself, contact me.  If you want me to install it, contact me for shipping info.

I thought there was a group that swore up and down that the LMTs were made of "superior materials".  The LMT likely lasted longer, but the end result appears to be the same.  It just goes to show what some people know.  IMO, round count equals wear - on all parts.  If you have something that isn't wearing, you probably aren't shooting it enough.

Archive Link

My brass bushing mod:

It is not tested for longevity or anything, but in my mind anyway, it would seem that a harder material would wear better and the increased surface area of the OD of the bushing would spread out the back and forth abuse to more of the plastic material, reducing the force felt in any one area.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
What are you guys up to this Friday?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol I don't wanna paint my guns
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
What are you CA boys up to????
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess my question is what type of rifle are you using the LMT stock for? If you have an SPR, a designated marksman, target, or sniper rifle I can understand this.

If one is using this stock or a Colt's or whatever, on a "military" style carbine it doesn't bother me that the stock has some wiggle to it when I start shooting, only when I'm looking at it sitting on the sofa.

I would stay away from down folding AK stocks if this is a problem. They get quite a bit of movement in them after a short time. They're not particularly accurate compared to the ARs, anyway.  

Mongo, that bushing is a great idea if these wiggles are really degrading some stocks!! I expect nothing less from you, though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]
good work on that mongo... i might have to have you do some preventive work on my soon to be lmt stock ...  

any reason your not going with steel or alumnium?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

come on, it would be fun....  nothing like a dark earth brown MRP.....

Quoted:
What are you CA boys up to????

rifle painting 101 I guess.

Temperature about that number (101) too I think

Unless y'all come to Malibu, it's rarely above 76
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
good work on that mongo... i might have to have you do some preventive work on my soon to be lmt stock ...  

any reason your not going with steel or alumnium?

Steel - maybe too hard????

Aluminum - maybe too soft????

Brass - a good medium????

If anybody was interested in alternate materials and wanted one made, I could do that.  I have access to a variety of materials - 1018 cold rolled steel, 4140 steel, 8620 steel, 416SS, 304SS and some brass and bronze.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd want some bling like gold, platinum, silver, etc.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
sheeuuut.  kisara,duffy and chen ... whatever ya do dont play with matches around duffy's house.. ya know how the malibu fire season is.    "los angeles is burning"  .. name the band!!!!!

kisara.. bro sorry we couldnt hook up while i was around your work . shits been really f-ing crazy this and last month. call me or IM me . depending on your schelduel , give me a lil advance notice and i'll take off that day and we'll go shoot da shit and guns. headind outta town again this weekend .

duffy,  shoots brah ... where ya been lately? hope ya learned alot. so ya can teach us all

chen, well my brother from another mother, soon as da lil general gets back on her feet. dinner and laughs
in a week or so.  until then  

see all y'all laters

ETA: damn i hope my sopmod stock doesnt creep, but i haven't had to butt strike anyone yet.... just kiddin
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#18]
y'all are welcome to come down to the beach, I'm only couple of streets north of Sunset on PCH.  It's not the 385sqf studio condo I had before, so plenty of room this time Kisara!

Meat I'll be there in the August shoot
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#19]
very niceness!!!! will be good to see you again mi amigo! see ya in aug.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Malibu sounds more forgiving.  The earliest the airport shuttle can get me there is 1500.   Let's take this to IM.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Any similar issues arising with Vltor stocks?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Any similar issues arising with Vltor stocks?

I haven't heard of any.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#23]
My Vltor's tight still.  

I checked out several more weapons equipped with Sopmod stocks belonging to Duffy and SMGlee, and their's seems the same so I guess its normal.   Duffy thinks that the creep feeling I noticed may have been due to the LMT tube's tight fit when brand new, making the stock slide very slow.   Now that the tube has worn down a little smoother with use, the stock slides more freely and the play is much more noticible.   So the little gap that causes the play must have always been there, but I couldn't feel it when the tube fit was tighter.    

He suggested spraying some paint on the tube to build up some thickness and get the stock a little more difficult to slide.   I'll try that in the future, but don't have the time now.   Instead,  I swapped the Sierra grip for a MIAD.   There's always time for new Magpul stuff.  

Also, I inspected the inside of the stock and found that the latch pin hole is fine, with no elongation at all.   The latch pin rocks back/forth in the latch lever, and this cantilevering of the pin is what is causing the movement.   If the Mongo bushing was to be installed anywhere, it would be in the checkered latch.   Here's a close up of the latch play, but its not really much of a problem when shooting.  It just wasn't as noticible when new:

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
sheeuuut.  kisara,duffy and chen ... whatever ya do dont play with matches around duffy's house.. ya know how the malibu fire season is.    "los angeles is burning"  .. name the band!!!!

Bad Religion
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a collapsible stock on a carbine buffer tube, what did you expect? They all move, except for the Magpul.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's a collapsible stock on a carbine buffer tube, what did you expect? They all move, except for the Magpul.

and the ace socom
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:26:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
...It just wasn't as noticible when new:
tinyurl.com/98er8

I just picked up a new LMT SOPMOD stock (on a LMT tube) and I have the same amount of latch "play"...however, when the stock is locked into position, it (the entire stock, not the latch) only moves back and forth about 1mm...maybe less (i.e., it doesn't move much)...

So if it's not the latch pin hole and it's not the angle of the pin from the movement of the latch, I wonder what it could be?

And while we're on the topic of the LMT SOPMOD stock, is it true that a big chunk of the stock's price is due to a license fee that LMT pays to CRANE NSWC? Is this true or YAIR (Yet Another Internet Rumor)?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's possible, however, it would be a pretty raw deal, considering that it is only a $2000 or $2500 fee to buy the rights to produce from Crane.  

The real bastard is the money for the molds.  Those things aren't cheap.

Hopefully someone will do another replica for $110 to $140.  Or cheaper.  

Brett

Thanks for the info Brent...$2000~$2500 is pretty cheap. I thought it was considerably more seeing how expensive the LMT SOPMOD stock is...if you compare the price of the Vltors and the standard CAR stocks (who's molds wouldn't be any cheaper), you can see that LMT is really stickin' it to us...

When I received my LMT stock, I was "underwhelmed" to say the least...having had many other AR collapsable stock on the market (old school metal CAR, plastic Colt CAR, newer style CAR, a few Vltors, several ACE stocks and a pair Magpuls...M93A2 and M93B), I wasn't particularly impressed by the LMT offering....not the CRANE design (which I like), but the build quality and the value for money. I just don't think you get your money's worth with the LMT stock...it's built well but not $100 better than a Vltor and not $50 better than a Magpul.

I wonder if CRANE would allow another vendor to license the design as I would welcome a high quality, real gun capable (i.e. NOT a Airsoft part) version....would be nice to have someone like Vltor pay the license fee and come out with 'em for $140 complete with tube/castle nute/end plate....

Now here's a thought...since we, as Taxpayers, pay for everything at CRANE NSWC, should we be getting these stocks for "cost"??
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Chicken
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Duffy > < BSBG
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's my question, is it that much better than a Gen2 stock like LMT, RRA, and a few others sell? Our original-type M4 stocks were mostly upgraded to what the ads in the Shotgun News tell me is the Gen2 type before we went to Iraq as most of what we had we'd busted up in training.

Really, it looks like it gives a nice cheekweld and a place to stick some extra 123A batteries, but it doesn't look a couple hundred dollars worth of nice to me unless the unit's paying for it. Which they ain't.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Once you try it, it'd be hard to go back to a ribbed or first gen carbine stock.  You can always get a Vltor stock that will give you a much improved cheekweld and better access to stuff stored in the tubes.  I prefer the LMT because it's longer, my face is not half way on the tube, half way on the stock.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Eh, maybe for the recce rifle I want to build after my next Iraq tour. I'm not putting a 200 dollar personal stock on a issued working gun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I prefer the LMT because it's longer, my face is not half way on the tube, half way on the stock.

This is what I like about the stock too. I wish Vltor would just make their stocks 1" longer and take off that "rib" around the front of the stock (the part that butts up against the castle nut)...that and add a built-in (but removable) rubber pad just like the LMT SOPMOD one...if they kept the the price the same as their current stocks, I can't see why anyone would want to spend $100 more for a LMT SOPMOD...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top