Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 8:41:37 PM EDT
Anyone heard of one?  useing one? Know if they are an improvment or wast of time and money?

www.olyarms.com/?page=m3_ac4
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one in a DCM upper and one in a 243WSSM.  They both work fine, reduce recoil and slow the bolt cycle.  For a standard 223 I don't think it would be worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have one in a DCM upper and one in a 243WSSM.  They both work fine, reduce recoil and slow the bolt cycle.  For a standard 223 I don't think it would be worth the money.

I was thinking of maybe getting one for my .223 target rifle. But if its not worth it I might just pass. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
i have the mgi rate reducing buffer in my rifles and on the 5.56 it makes it feel like shooting a .22 rimfire.

followups and double taps are a cinch with it!  stays on target better and best of all TWL which is the rep here for them says they will replace it if it ever fails.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i have the mgi rate reducing buffer in my rifles and on the 5.56 it makes it feel like shooting a .22 rimfire.

followups and double taps are a cinch with it!  stays on target better and best of all TWL which is the rep here for them says they will replace it if it ever fails.

Thats what im after. I was looking at the ac4 as a recoil reducer for bench shooting. Whats the cost of the mgi rate reducing buffer? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
the mgi is $150

TWL is a member here and he is also a rep for mgi.

great product and great guy to deal with. i have four of these buffers and love it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried a heavier buffer (9mm) in my 16" AR and didn't like how the recoil actually felt heavier. That is to say the slamming of the buttstock into my shoulder was more pronounced. IMO, it acutally made muzzle jump worse.

I take it the MGI does not suffer from this?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I tried a heavier buffer (9mm) in my 16" AR and didn't like how the recoil actually felt heavier. That is to say the slamming of the buttstock into my shoulder was more pronounced. IMO, it acutally made muzzle jump worse.

I take it the MGI does not suffer from this?

the regular heavy buffer is just that, heavier.  the mgi has a plunger deal that forces the weight back when depressed at the rear of the buttstock so what its doing is countering the recoil.

here are some threads that further explains the workings of the buffer from twl himself.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=259550

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=263379

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=230741

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=229168
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the threads eklikwhoa but I have read. I was just curious to get your opinion on the MGI buffer since you own a few.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Standard buffers work just fine for me.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
the mgi is $150

TWL is a member here and he is also a rep for mgi.

great product and great guy to deal with. i have four of these buffers and love it.

Thanks for the info! I might give one a try. I like the design of it, looking close to an original buffer. Those ac4's look like if it would malfunction, it would not allow the rifle to function properly. Where as the mgi buffer looks like it would still let the weapon function ok if it had an internal screw up. Thanks again
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Standard buffers work just fine for me.  

i agree but the mgi's are like icing on the cake, not needed but makes it so much better
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#12]
You also lose the sproing sound IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd be interested in trying one out but I'd have to contact MGI to see what their return policy is. Spending $24 on a 9mm buffer is one thing but spending $150 on one is a whole other. I would know after about 50 or so rounds if I like it or not.

BTW, doesn't MGI have a website? I swear they do but I couldn't find it with Google.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'd be interested in trying one out but I'd have to contact MGI to see what their return policy is. Spending $24 on a 9mm buffer is one thing but spending $150 on one is a whole other. I would know after about 50 or so rounds if I like it or not.

BTW, doesn't MGI have a website? I swear they do but I couldn't find it with Google.

talk to twl and see what he can do for you. but im sure after you use it you will be buying more not sending them back.

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Matt_B

Their website is:  http://www.mgimilitary.com

E-mail twl and ask about the buffer if you have any qualms about  laying out $150.00 + S&H.

Bill
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks RedFalconBill. I should have just guessed and tried that URL in the first place.

Once I get my 9mm 1911 out of the way, I will contact MGI to see what they have to say. It's not that I disbelieve their claims. I just want to avoid the "stock slam" I referred to earlier. From the sounds of it, this behavior will not be present with the the MGI buffer but I cannot be 100% positive until I try it for myself.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Always amazes me that people even care about that
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I always looked forward to the twang everytime I pulled the trigger.  I guess to each his own.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Matt_B

Their website is:  http://www.mgimilitary.com

E-mail twl and ask about the buffer if you have any qualms about  laying out $150.00 + S&H.

Bill

I can see that I need to learn to make URL's hot.  Guess I should read the instructions or something.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Matt_B

Their website is: MGI Military

Bill

I can see that I need to learn to make URL's hot.  Guess I should read the instructions or something.

None of us are born knowing everything
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

i havent heard on in a long time, next time i go out though ill remember to listen for it.

noise doesnt bother me on bit and when i do remember to listen for it, its music to my ears
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top