Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2005 2:47:07 AM EDT
Was thinking about one of these superlight pencil barrels for my next upper.  How much weight do you save over a regular M4 barrel?  Is it worth the extra $?  Do you get significantly more recoil with this setup?  Thanks.

JMN69
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#1]
i have both and prefer my superlight.

not much noticable recoil to me but the slw is going to have more than the heavier m4.

something to keep in mind though the slw will heat up faster than the m4 with rapid/auto firing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 How much weight do you save over a regular M4 barrel?  

JMN69

From Bushmaster:

Barrel Weight In Pounds ( for milled front sight subtract 0.2 pounds )

Barrel length_________Heavy Barrels________ Fluted Barrels

10"_________________2.0_________________1.9
11.5"_______________ 2.2_________________2.0
11.5/5.5"____________ 2.6_________________2.5
14.5"_______________ 2.5_________________2.2
14.5"AK_____________2.7_________________2.4
14.5"MY_____________2.7_________________2.4
14.5"AM (phantom)____2.7_________________2.4
14.5"IZ______________2.7_________________2.4
16"_________________2.7_________________2.3
16" Dissipator________ 3.0_________________2.6
20"_________________3.5_________________3.0
24"_________________3.9_________________3.1
26"_________________4.0_________________3.2

Military Style Barrels

14.5"M4_____________2.0
14.5"M4AK__________ 2.2
14.5"M4MY__________ 2.2
14.5"M4AM (phantom)_ 2.2
14.5"M4IZ____________2.2
16"M4 Dissipator______2.3
16" Superlight________ 1.9
16"M4_______________2.2
20"A2 (govt profile)_____2.5

Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW when you add a Daniel Defense 7.0 to a superlight barrel, you get mighty damn close to the weight of a 14.5" M4 with phantom or other muzzle device.

I just got my first superlight barrel and I'm sold.  I would like to see someone make a 14.5" superlight that I could add a phantom or something else to and get the 16".
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I put 90 rounds through my lite weight and by mistake touched the barrel. Won't do that again.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I put 90 rounds through my lite weight and by mistake touched the barrel. Won't do that again.

I wouldn't recommend doing that with an HBAR, A2, M4, etc. etc barrel either.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:00:36 AM EDT
[#6]
After taking a carbine class with a 16" M4 profile with a rail and light attached i went to a lightweight with a knights rail and the same light.  A world of difference!  I can hold it on target with one hand much easier and it is less fatiguing doing tacloads and other drills where your support hand is busy.  Highly recommend the super light.

Recoil?  
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the :
HBAR
M4
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to have a Sporter Lightweight with a pencil barrel and I prefered it over my current M4 16-inch Gov't. profile barreled carbine.

What recoil, I don't notice much difference. I enjoy firing it as fast as I could, it feels great.

I prefer my AR carbine over my Galil AR 16-inch barrel and AK-47, specially if I have to carry it around for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would like to see someone make a 14.5" superlight that I could add a phantom or something else to and get the 16".

YES!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would like to see someone make a 14.5" superlight that I could add a phantom or something else to and get the 16".

YES!

ADCO

i would just send it to them if you really wanted it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:08:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Im actually goin the opposite.

im replacing this barrel (Bushmaster Superlight)

With a bushmaster 14.5 M4. The reason is for shorter over all barrel length and the added strength for when I had a CAN to the end. Plus the Superlight heats up very fast and IMO takes forever to cool down. It has been a good barrel, but time for change. lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/232760.jpg

With a bushmaster 14.5 M4. The reason is for shorter over all barrel length and the added strength for when I had a CAN to the end. Plus the Superlight heats up very fast and IMO takes forever to cool down. It has been a good barrel, but time for change. lol

SL's heat up quicker, but also cool down quicker than HBAR's.

Corey
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#13]
It might have something to do with the camo coating on his barrel?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a big fan of light barrels.  Once you've tried a 11.5 pencil barrel there is no going back.  I just picked up an HBAR Colt MT6700 but I'm gonna have it turned down.  Just too darn heavy for regular use.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/232760.jpg

SL's heat up quicker, but also cool down quicker than HBAR's.

Corey

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES!

ADCO

It doesn't work that way.  The superlight barrels have a little shoulder on the end where it flares out before it meets the flash suppressor.  You would have to either have a 14.5" M4 barrel turned down to lightweight profile, or have a 16" HBAR chppped & lightened.

you can sort of see what I'm talking about in this pic
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I've always thought the best answer to a "heavy" carbine was to hit the gym.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've always thought the best answer to a "heavy" carbine was to hit the gym.

That's not really the point.  I don't care how much of a he-man you (think) you are, when it comes to humping gear lighter is better.  If you are physically able to hold an HBAR carbine on target for 10 minutes, you'll be able to do so longer with the lighter version.  Basically anything that will eventually fatigue you (walking, shooting, whatever) you'll be able to do for longer or further regardless of how strong/weak you are.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES!

ADCO

It doesn't work that way.  The superlight barrels have a little shoulder on the end where it flares out before it meets the flash suppressor.  You would have to either have a 14.5" M4 barrel turned down to lightweight profile, or have a 16" HBAR chppped & lightened.

This is not true. I had a Bushmaster POST ban SL barrel that ADCO chopped & attached a Phantom. Pics are on the EE somewhere. -Justin
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES!

ADCO

without the shoulder there is still adequate "shoulder" to install a flashider properly.i own both a preban with "shoulder and a de-banned with no "shoulder" and did not have any problems installing a flash hider on the barrel which i got threaded locally by a member here at the boards. it was even said by steve@adco that it would work. i also doubted this but went ahead and did it anyways to know for sure since it was an extra barrel i had laying around.

here are pics of both.

hard to tell but this is the one with no shoulder with a phantom 5c1

this is a no-ban with the shoulder

i do not see how it would be complicated to cut the barrel down some and perm attatch a long enough fh on the skinny barrel.

as long as you send it to someone that knows what they are doing or have handled it yourself then you should be fine
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Obviously it's physically possible, and if you pay someone they'll do just about anything you ask them to.  I personally would prefer to have the shoulder.  With that said, since we're talking about attaching a permanent flash suppressor it's probably not a big deal.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a Bushy superlight. It was great to carry but really heated up and lost accuracy quick.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Obviously it's physically possible, and if you pay someone they'll do just about anything you ask them to.  I personally would prefer to have the shoulder.  With that said, since we're talking about attaching a permanent flash suppressor it's probably not a big deal.

someone only threaded the barrel for me i installed the flash hider myself and see no reason to worry.

perm attatching means less to worry about
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top