Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 1:07:27 PM EDT
I've been thinking about getting a can for the M4,who makes the best and which ones should I steer clear of?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
just some suggestions to start looking.  Gem Tech; Halo or M4-96D, SRT; Hurricane, Avanced Armament Co., SWR.  I decided to go with Gem Tech Halo, top notch stuff, compatible with my bird cage flash hider, quiet, great customer service!  Good luck. Gem Tech employee Kel posts here under that screen name.  I'm sure you will see him pop up here shortly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
KAC is the current mil supplier, with Gemtech comming in a close second(perhaps the new supplier if we could ever get SOPMOD II off the ground, but thanks to ARMS being pussies I doubt it will happen.)

I really like my Gemtech M496D, also the HALO.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going with the HALO for mine.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Ase Utra
BR-Tuote

:)

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The top two .223 suppressors (as far as dB reduction is concerned) are the SRT Hurricane and SWR Specwar 2, and they are less than a dB apart.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a timely topic as I'm in the market for a .223 can as well. For the guys with the Gemtech cans, what's the significant practical differences between the HALo and the M4-96D?

I'm leaning to a Gemtech, but I haven't fully decided yet. I'd like some more info from the users.

FWIW, it appears that weights, sound reductions and dimensions are all quite similar. Give me the scoop on the real deal: maintenance, attachment, necessity of ear protection etc.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is a timely topic as I'm in the market for a .223 can as well. For the guys with the Gemtech cans, what's the significant practical differences between the HALo and the M4-96D?

The HALO mounts directly to an A2 flash suppressor. The M4-96 uses a quick release (they call it a bi-lock) which replaces the flash suppressor. The HALO is less expensive. Based purely on stories I've been told that the M4-96 is a tad quieter.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
gus, what made you decide on the HALO?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as the Gemtech goes, are you guys that have them choosing the HALO because you don't want to put the bi-lock on in place of the A2. It seems that with the bi-lock, the M4-96 just snaps on and off super easy.  It really seems slick. My bud has one on order now. We played with it for a while at the dealers place and it was very nice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
gus, what made you decide on the HALO?

Price. Not only is the can a good bit cheaper, but you don't have to have an $86 Bi-lock device on every gun you want to mount it on. I like the idea of being able to use the can on all my AR's, and that would cost another $400 or so just for the mounts (unless I wanted to unscrew the mounts and move them rifle to rifle).

I understand the alignment of the mount is critical, and you have to use peel washers under the flash suppressors to ensure alignment. I'm still in the investigative stage on this, but I read where it's highly recommended to send a barrel in to Gemtech to have them install the bi-lock to make sure it's aligned properly to avoid baffle strikes when using an M4-96. What I'm wondering is whether it's as important with the Halo, and if not is that part of why it isn't as quiet as the M4-96 - is the bore in the Halo larger to account for a little less alignment accuracy?

I'm not totally decided yet, BTW...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
i dont know any thing about gem tech or any one else, but NFA investments makes a mad crazy suppressor for ARs. he makes them himself and hes a really good guy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually emailed Gemtech today to ask about the Bi-lock install, and how critical the install was. Have not heard back yet, but will post back here when I do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]
FYI - Hi, it's that Kel guy checking in.  Our staffer in the Colorado office that answers the email has been out for some family issues this week - if you want, drop me a line and I can probably answer your questions instead.  As far as the basics on bi-lock install (or for that matter, most competing QD mounts on the market), it's not rocket surgery, but then again, I've seen some real... interesting... install methods in my years here (Elmer's glue, soldering wire, etc).  If you're willing to follow the directions, have a torque wrench, and some common sense, you should be able to do it yourself or with the help of a competent gunsmith.  We can do the install for $25 plus shipping, which is real good insurance just in case your barrel is out of spec wrt threads... we'll do what needs to be done to fix them.  If we do it, you know it's right, or if nothing else, you know who to blame if something does go wrong.  That might be $25 bucks well spent right there!
That HALO obviates a bit of this, without the added cost of the bi-lock FH, so that may factor in to some decisions.  The D model is going up in price for 2005 - we've had three straight years of raw steel prices going up on the supply end and haven't raised our prices for years - but we're freezing the HALO at the price it's at.  I personally feel the HALO offers the best bang (or lack thereof) for the buck right now.  Current -D owners, feel free to get a smug look that you got in before the increase.  :)

Thanks,

Kel
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you have an AUG, FNC, Galil, or whatever, the HALO will work on those just fine.

***Correct all but the AUG.  The locknut messes things up.

Kel
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i dont know any thing about gem tech or any one else, but NFA investments makes a mad crazy suppressor for ARs. he makes them himself and hes a really good guy.

fixed it for you
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Kel,

Quit Posting and get to work on my Trinity

I think thats the one I ordered, the one for my M9.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you have an AUG, FNC, Galil, or whatever, the HALO will work on those just fine.

***Correct all but the AUG.  The locknut messes things up.

Kel

Is the Phantom (aftermarket) supressor one of those that it works with?I believe the diameter is right, but it's a little bit longer...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in Michigan, no suppressors......but I'm moving south
Will a 223 can work well on a .22 lr rather that buying  a second can?? It seems that with the addl diameter and length it might  work better
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm in Michigan, no suppressors......but I'm moving south
Will a 223 can work well on a .22 lr rather that buying  a second can??

****Funny, last time I checked, our factory was in Jackson, MI...   :)

Yeah, you can use a 5.56mm can on a .22lr, but obviously on a pistol it's going to have the handling characteristics of a dousing rod...

Our little M402 gets a lot of "double duty" on 22 mags, full auto .22lrs, as well as the 5.56mm.  It's not too heavy, but a dedicated .22lr can is going to be way lighter and smaller.

I suggest you buy our entire product line.  

Kel
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Is the Phantom (aftermarket) supressor one of those that it works with?I believe the diameter is right, but it's a little bit longer...

I too would like to know this.  I have Phantoms on two of my carbines and a Vortex on the 3rd.  I'd love to get a HALO to share between them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I too would like to know this.  I have Phantoms on two of my carbines and a Vortex on the 3rd.  I'd love to get a HALO to share between them.

+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I actually emailed Gemtech today to ask about the Bi-lock install, and how critical the install was. Have not heard back yet, but will post back here when I do.

i've emailed them on oct 25 regarding putting there M4-96D on 10.5" barrel and never heard back. so you might want to try different means of communication.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I suggest you buy our entire product line.  

Kel

I just bought the 3-lug Raptor that just arrived at my employer's shop!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top