Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 2:05:33 PM EDT
Thinking about having this done.  I'd rather pay the $125 to a pro than take the risk of buggering my only Colt lower by trying to remove it myself.   Anyone have feedback on Norrell's work?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Best in the business!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thinking about having this done.  I'd rather pay the $125 to a pro than take the risk of buggering my only Colt lower by trying to remove it myself.   Anyone have feedback on Norrell's work?

you do realize for 125 dollars you could buy a DPMS lower that doesnt have the sear block in it
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you do realize for 125 dollars you could buy a DPMS lower that doesnt have the sear block in it

I do, and I have a bunch of Stag & Ameetec lowers in various stages of build.  They're great lowers and they work fine.  I'm going to Thunder Ranch later in the year and want to use the best gear I have, which includes an M16 carrier in an all-Colt lightweight carbine.  Since an M16 carrier doesn't work in my blocked Colt lower I want to get the block removed.  I'll probably bring one of the other lowers as part of my backup rifle, but I'm going with all-Colt for my primary.

I'm not trying to start another Colt -vs- everyone else flame war, since that's , just looking for some data.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Colt lower that had the top of the sear block that sticks out above the lower receiver milled off with a dremel by the previous owner. It looked great and you couldn't even tell that the sear block had ever extended above the lower.

I'd just dremel the top off and leave the part down inside the lower in there to save money if it were mine. Otherwise, you are going to have to get the sear block's pin hole(s) filled and the lower refinished as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Otherwise, you are going to have to get the sear block's pin hole(s) filled and the lower refinished as well.

That's what I thought too, until I saw that Norrell's website says this:

M-16/AR-15 Modifications
* Removal of Colt auto sear block. Outside of receiver is unaltered. No refinishing required....$ 125.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Just dremel the top of it off. You don't need the whole thing out for the F/A BC to fit.. It won't look pretty on the inside, but you will never notice it from the outside..
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Otherwise, you are going to have to get the sear block's pin hole(s) filled and the lower refinished as well.

That's what I thought too, until I saw that Norrell's website says this:

M-16/AR-15 Modifications
* Removal of Colt auto sear block. Outside of receiver is unaltered. No refinishing required....$ 125.

I see. John Norrell is leaving the pin in place and just removing the block itself.

You can either pony up the $125 if you really want the entire thing out, or just dremel off the skinny little hook part that sticks up out of the lower for free.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top