Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 4:22:46 AM EDT
Anyone taking the 6.5grendal plunge?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#1]
There have been a few - I'm really, really tempted...  Right now they are a bit expensive and there is only a couple companies building them.  I personnally would like to see some of the board sponsors getting involved!  I think Paul from MSTN has one (I would love a review from him and WES).  02Overlander has one as well - I think his was one of the first.  You can always look on Grendel to get more info...

Spooky
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There have been a few - I'm really, really tempted...  Right now they are a bit expensive and there is only a couple companies building them.

I'd be a credit card signature away if the price would come down to what I think is reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There have been a few - I'm really, really tempted...  Right now they are a bit expensive and there is only a couple companies building them.  I personnally would like to see some of the board sponsors getting involved!

I just thought it was funny that this was the ad I was staring at while reading this thread:

They are indeed a bit pricey, though...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There have been a few - I'm really, really tempted...  Right now they are a bit expensive and there is only a couple companies building them.  I personnally would like to see some of the board sponsors getting involved!  I think Paul from MSTN has one (I would love a review from him and WES).  02Overlander has one as well - I think his was one of the first.  You can always look on Grendel to get more info...
Spooky

I have communicated with Paul several times on the 6.5G. There are still some lingering mag reliability issues. But, I have postponed a 6.5G build mainly, because the closest unrestricted range ( > 200M+) is a 3hr minimum drive. By TX standards that's not all that long, if your work schedule allows it. I have other calibers that will shoot very sub-MOA groups at 200M+.  I occasionally get access to some of the restricted ranges, but not enough to warrant a 6.5G at this time. Hopefully this will change in the future. My interest in the 6.5G is 600M+.

Edited to add: The 600+ exceeds the real effective range of even my AR10.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
My own thinking is that if I'm going to haul around a serious long-range rifle (like for our Sporting Rifle matches in Raton), then I might as well use a bolt action chambered for a cartridge with more powder capacity, like 6.5-284 or 7RM.  

But if I were going to build a 24" AR15 for that kind of thing, 6.5 Grendel looks good.   In the AR10, I'd probably go with 260Rem instead.

-z
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:59:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Jetlag, are you "bumpfiring" a pistol in your avatar?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Not me, that's Bob Munden bump firing his 1911.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one, shoots great.  It is very accurate at 200 and 300 yards (far as I have shot it) and has functioned perfectly.  That being said, the followers in the mags need upgraded to the Magpuls.  I made the upgrade and my mags again worked perfectly.  Feeding was never a problem, just holding the bolt back on an empty mag, that was the only issue.

I have posted all my loading/accuracy results over at 65Grendel so you can check out what has been working the best for me with this upper.  Slightly sub 1/4 MOA with Sierra 120s @ 200 yards.  Averaging about 1/2 MOA with the better loads.  

Somebody ask about board sponsors getting involved, CSSI is a board sponsor, so they are involved.

350,000 rounds of brass just arrived, so there is no longer a brass availability issue.    

My upper is a 24" overwatch, standard upper.  I am actually preparing to sell it as Scott Medesha is currently buliding me a 28" long range model.  If anyone is interested, just let me know.  It has about 750 rounds down the pipe, probably take $700 or so for it.

Good shooting!!    
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
What twist is yours,Walker Texas Ranger? 1/8 or 1/9?  Who all is making the uppers? I only new of Alexander Arms making them. They are 943.00 if I remember correctly just for the upper. That to high i think too. I would like to get tghe 1/8 twist 24" setup. I plan on having me one sometime this year. I see CSSI has it for 795.00 overwatch(think is is the upper only not sure), thats coming down some,lol. CSSI has the Medesha one for 995.00 28" barrel. Is it the complete rifle at that price, it does not say so would make you think so. If it is for complete rifle like to find out what the upper alone goes for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What twist is yours,Walker Texas Ranger? 1/8 or 1/9?  Who all is making the uppers? I only new of Alexander Arms making them. They are 943.00 if I remember correctly just for the upper. That to high i think too. I would like to get tghe 1/8 twist 24" setup. I plan on having me one sometime this year. I see CSSI has it for 795.00 overwatch(think is is the upper only not sure), thats coming down some,lol. CSSI has the Medesha one for 995.00 28" barrel. Is it the complete rifle at that price, it does not say so would make you think so. If it is for complete rifle like to find out what the upper alone goes for.

My upper is a 24" 1 in 8 twist, as are all Grendel 24" uppers.  It is the stainless Lothar-Walther barrel.  The $795 upper at CSSI is for the 19.2" upper, the 24" is $895.  CSSI pricing is based on uppers only, no lowers included.  

The $995 upper from Medesha is what I have ordered, again, upper only.  Any AR15 lower will work fine.  

Good shooting!!!      
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]
They guys around here are running 6.5's and 7mm's in their bolt guns (usually barrels from Pac-Nor), and usually get a couple thousand rounds with acceptible accuracy for these type of field matches.  The smallest steel we shoot is a little bigger than a 'dog.

Lots of great information, thanks!

-z
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Paul, I'm a huge Sako fan and am excited to hear there's even a possibility of Sako chambering the 6.5 Grendel. It only makes sense, since they presumably have the tooling for their Action I in 6mm PPC lying around. Can you elaborate on what you've heard?

Also, I'm no expert, but in talking with Bill about your finicky barrel, I gather that that chamber is geared more toward a dedicated, very long-range rig best suited to VLD bullets seated long. But you've already mentioned something to that effect, so perhaps this confirms what you already know. And the "modified throat" barrel is supposed to be more tolerant of a wide variety of loads and 6.5mm bullet shapes loaded magazine length. It seems that if you have a race gun geared for very long-range, it's finicky with everything except for what it really likes, and then is outstanding when tuned for it. With a throat designed for general-purpose use, though it could be harder to tune to benchrest accuracy for any one specific load, it should shine even when using a wide variety of bullets.

Again, any details on the Sako rumor would be appreciated!

John

================
6.5 Grendel: Twice the Lead of 5.56, Out Shoots 7.62
www.65grendel.com
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Who's going to be the first to figure out how to make a 22" or 24" MRP barrel for 6.5 Grendel?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
My bad...

I knew CSSI was a board sponsor...   What an idiot!!!

I would like someone to build an SPR or East-Coast Style SAM-R - CSSI was going to do it until they had issues getting KAC gear.  I hope that option becomes available again.  Maybe MSTN or Adco could step up and fill that gap!  I have heard there is a lot of paperwork to get into building the 6.5G which is why there is a limited number of folks building them...

Who's going to be the first to figure out how to make a 22" or 24" MRP barrel for 6.5 Grendel?

Now that would be the ticket...  We'll see where and how quickly we get with the 6.8SPC first...

Spooky

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I mentioned above I would sell my upper, but I have also been debating having Scott cut the barrel down to 20" and see how it works.  Might be fun!!  

BTW, there is a good article on the Grendel, written by David Fortier, in the Feb issue of Shooting Times.

WTR  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats where i found out avout it,new there was one in developement but did not know anything about it. I will have to get one this year.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone play with 107-108 grain loadings from Sierra or Lapua?  They offer comparable ballistics out to around 400-500m (shoot a couple of inches flatter but drift just a couple inches more) compared to heavier loadings, and I'm pretty sure the bullets aren't as long so enchroachment into the case isn't as severe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does anyone play with 107-108 grain loadings from Sierra or Lapua?

I have fired both out of my Grendel upper.  Had better success with the 108, sub .5 MOA groups at 200 and 300 yards.  

WTR
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I mentioned above I would sell my upper, but I have also been debating having Scott cut the barrel down to 20" and see how it works.  Might be fun!!  

BTW, there is a good article on the Grendel, written by David Fortier, in the Feb issue of Shooting Times.

WTR  

Another article in the newest issue of Guns & Ammo on the 6.5 Grendel.

Looks like the 6.5 Grendel will be around for a long time as it is taking ground rapidly against the 6mm PPC as a match cartridge.  .....plus it makes a great light recoil, accurate, multi-purpose, multi-range hunting round!

Shooting out of a bolt gun seated long guys at www.65grendel.com - 3100 fps thread! have gotten very high velocities.... so the round becomes even more multipurpose!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Can he do it with a bullet over 0.6 BC, and a barrel length less than 30"?  That would be super impressive.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting read...  

New article on the Grendel
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Go see Gunblast.com

As a manufacturer I very rarely post as I feel that the boards should be the domain of the customers not hype sheets for manufacturers so please accept my apologies in this instance. However I am well pleased with the little 18 1/2 " barrel on the Grendel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top