Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 8:32:06 PM EDT
hey y'alls,
here are some pics of the close-to-final prototype. should be ready by SHOT
some main points:
- the whole thing will have a matte, non-glare finish.
- the legs will have a strip of texturing like their rail panels along their length for grip when folded
- legs fold neatly along the rail
- it can traverse and tilt, and is self centering with just the right tension
- clamps onto any 1913 rail
- locks positively in the lowered and folded position
- legs extend to 3 heights
- will be made in black and tan
these are just some of the main features - i don't have any more details about weight (it's light - a bit less than a harris of comparable length) or extended heights.  
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What are the legs made of?  Call me old fashion, but I'm not keen on the idea of a plastic/polymer bipod.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Can it be stowed forward, or have the whole thing reversed?

On my Harris, I put some paracord between the legs.  With them forward, one solid yank on the cord deploys the legs.

Can the legs be adjusted while the rifle is resting on the bipod?  I do this all the time to adjust when already in prone position.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
That is sweet!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
hkocher - yes, they're polymer. nope, you're not old fashioned - ain't nothing wrong with personal preference (like a good ole 1911 over a polymer glock).  however, whatever material TD is using for the legs is TOUGH, and is less likely to bend and stay bent than some aluminum or steel tubes. (edited to add: the retractable part of the legs are replaceable if they do happen to break)we'll just have to wait and see how tough the bipod is when the production version comes out. TD does their materials homework, though.  i myself have nothing against a polymer legged bipod as long as it performs as advertised/claimed.

zak - yes, the bipod can be mounted reversed to have the legs fold forward. you won't be able to do the paracord thing with the TD as it locks positively up as well as down.  it'll deploy just as fast as a harris without paracord, though - one handed.  yes, the legs can be adjusted individually while the rifle is resting on the bipod. pulling the leg downwards extends it.  a small button is pushed while pushing in on the leg to retract it to the next detent.  

cheers,
MM

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
cool cool..what else is in the pipe for TD ?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Somehow, that looks a LOT batter than the pics we saw a couple weeks ago from one of the board vendors.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Any pictures of how it interfaces with the rail?

Qucik on and off, or screws, or what?

It does look big, and heavy?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are a magwell hold guy, that meat tenderizer might interfere with that.  You can always adopt a FVG hold to solve that, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you are a magwell hold guy, that meat tenderizer might interfere with that.

Or put 12" rails on everything you own...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you are a magwell hold guy, that meat tenderizer might interfere with that.

Or put 12" rails on everything you own...

True, but I have to have at least one M4 type to keep up my cool factor.  Bipods aren't needed on carbines anyway, at least that's what I've heard here.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#12]
the pics you saw previously posted were of an early aluminum prototype, more for testing the base and folding mechanism than showing what the final legs would look like.

it might look big in the pics, but it really isn't when you handle it on a rifle. except for the leg swivel mechanism, it fits into a lower profile  envelope than a harris sits in, when mounted on a rifle.  it folds flush to the rail, and the lowest portion of the bipod when folded is about an inch.  the lower point on my harris, with rail adapter sits about 1.8" below the rail. the front end is the widest part, of course, but it's more compact in person than in the pics.
the weight is about the same (it *might* be a bit lighter, but we'll have to wait for final numbers from TD) as a comparable S-type harris with rail adapter.  note that it traverses - something the harris doesn't.
attachment is a conventional clamp with two cross bolts.
if you use a magwell hold, you can just mount the bipod with legs facing front, like you would with a harris. you can neither use a magwell hold, a vertical grip, nor a comfortable conventional grip with a harris mounted in the same position with legs facing back.
i've used the harris (on hunting and bolt rifles) for at least 17 years, and they're great (except when you sling the rifle and get poked). then i used them on 20" ARs. but the harris is a universal bipod; the TD is specifically designed around the M4/M16 system. and for that system alone, i think it'll be a very good alternative.  i'm not trying to convince anyone who doesn't have use for bipods on a carbine or longer AR, but present info and preview a new product for those who do.
cheers,
MM

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]
since the legs are flush to the side rails when folded up, do they hamper or get in the way of mounting anything on the side rails, such as flashlights etc?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#15]
will there be any provisions for mounting other ways? Or could i put a small section of rail onto a freefloat tube?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

On my Harris, I put some paracord between the legs.  With them forward, one solid yank on the cord deploys the legs.

Can the legs be adjusted while the rifle is resting on the bipod?  I do this all the time to adjust when already in prone position.

can you post a pic of the paracord?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Visible here: apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/ITRC-2004/?medium=135_3507_img.jpg
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Visible here: apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/ITRC-2004/?medium=135_3507_img.jpg

Folded up, that piece of cord must hang down some.  Ever have a snag issue or this not an issue with the rifle you have it on?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Folded up, that piece of cord must hang down some.  Ever have a snag issue or this not an issue with the rifle you have it on?  Just curious.

It's really not an issue.  To make it less stringy, you can put a piece of tubing over it, so it can't tangle itself.   When I want to go prone, I just give it a yank while I dive...

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's really not an issue.  To make it less stringy, you can put a piece of tubing over it, so it can't tangle itself.   When I want to go prone, I just give it a yank while I dive...

Thanks, Zak.  Always nice to see inexpensive, well thought out options available.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess this is one of those items, I will need to see and handle first hand. Looks good though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
will there be any provisions for mounting other ways? Or could i put a small section of rail onto a freefloat tube?

for now, the rail mount is all that it'll come with, so a short rail on a FF tube should work.  jeff also spoke of an adapter for rifles with a swivel stud (like on hunting rifles).
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Gentlemen,

We will also offer at SHOT a pretty cool little adapter that converts a sling stud into a short section of Mil-Std 1913 compliant rail. Then you can mount our Advanced Combat Bipod onto a bolt-action rifle, with all the benefits as designed.

As MM mentioned, our Bipod is lighter than a comparable Harris with adapter. As far as strength,
let's just say its being looked at  for possible SAW duty.

Best,

Jeff
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Remembering back to 69...and clip on Al bipods.......

Given the kinds of polymers they are coming out with...this should be excellent

imo
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#27]
When, and how much??? That look bad ass bad... Sort of HK/FAL ish..
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats not a bad idea
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top