Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 1:09:41 PM EDT
Gentlemen,
Can any marksman tech here please tell me the accuratcy on how far on rage with a 10.5,11.5,14.5,16, and 20 inch barrel can hit its target before the bullet starts to drop. you dont have to be specific on wind,gust, and mother natures terrian,..etc. I know already that the longer the barrel is, the farther you can hit your target ,but I had a discussion with my brother in law, serving current in Afgan and he cliams his partner hit his target at 600 meters with a 11.5 barrel, I thought wow! this guy really knows how to B/S, but then I came to this...could this be true? So here I am trying to understand.Alrigthy now, let me have it!
Thanks again for future response.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
,but I had a discussion with my brother in law, serving current in Afgan and he cliams his partner hit his target at 600 meters with a 11.5 barrel, I thought wow! this guy really knows how to B/S, but then I came to this...could this be true?

I could very well be true.

There have been a few accounts of soldiers with 14.5" barrel hitting targets at 500+ meters with irons as well as TA01NSN ACOGs.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
i do not think anyone will be hitting targets at 600 with an 11.5 barrel

i do know that i regularly hit 5-600 with irons with a 14.5 barreled M4gery, and good ammo

16 uinches will do better, maybee more accurate at 5-600, who knows how much knock down it will have out that far, you really need to be pushing 75 hornady's, or 77 smk's down the tube for that, short barrels are hard

20 inchers....

i shoot with irons and 77's to 600 easily, 500 is a no brainer

i personally know a few guys who shoot with irons at perry out to 1000 yards, wind is the trouble there

i would not beieve 500 or 600 with an 11.5
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Gentlemen,
Can any marksman tech here please tell me the accuratcy on how far on rage with a 10.5,11.5,14.5,16, and 20 inch barrel can hit its target before the bullet starts to drop. you dont have to be specific on wind,gust, and mother natures terrian,..etc. I know already that the longer the barrel is, the farther you can hit your target ,but I had a discussion with my brother in law, serving current in Afgan and he cliams his partner hit his target at 600 meters with a 11.5 barrel, I thought wow! this guy really knows how to B/S, but then I came to this...could this be true? So here I am trying to understand.Alrigthy now, let me have it!
Thanks again for future response.

Was the target a car......................................a truck..........................................a house.

Accuracy has little to due with barrel length.  Barrel length gives velocity, which gives range.  I wouldn't expect to hit a target at 600m with an 11.5" barrel, I probably wouldn't have even tried.    But I wouldn't have expected to hit a milk jug with my 2" .38 revolver at 100yds either until I tried.  It took a few rounds to walk it in, but once I had the holdover down, I was hitting it about every other time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
,but I had a discussion with my brother in law, serving current in Afgan and he cliams his partner hit his target at 600 meters with a 11.5 barrel, I thought wow! this guy really knows how to B/S, but then I came to this...could this be true?

I could very well be true.

There have been a few accounts of soldiers with 14.5" barrel hitting targets at 500+ meters with irons as well as TA01NSN ACOGs.

you beat me to it....

but i would love to see someone do the 600 with an 11.5

heck, i will buy the range time and ammo
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i do not think anyone will be hitting targets at 600 with an 11.5 barrel

i do know that i regularly hit 5-600 with irons with a 14.5 barreled M4gery, and good ammo

Hmm you use the same sight radius, and just a bit of loss in MV - all you have to do is compensate for a bit more drop, otherwise it isn't any different.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
good feed back,....what grian/brand is perferd over 500m?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Short(er) barrels can be very accurate. Problem is, they run out of poop real quick.

I wouldn’t doubt for a second that someone could hit a target (personnel) at 600 meters with a 11.5-inch AR/M-16. I imagine the chances of doing any substantial amount if damage in the above scenario would be very minimal.

BTW, the bullet starts to drop as soon as it exits the barrel
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BTW, the bullet starts to drop as soon as it exits the barrel

My bullets rise when they come out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Could you fill me in as to how your bullets defy the laws of gravity?

It's really a line of bore, line of sight kinda' thing. No bullets rise when they come out of a barrel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
good feed back,....what grian/brand is perferd over 500m?

All questions will be answered by the Ammo Oracle
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's really a line of bore, line of sight kinda' thing. No bullets rise when they come out of a barrel.

True.  In other words, all barrels are inclined slightly (in comparison with the line of the rifle) , thus shooting the bullets slightly upward.  Otherwise you would never be able to zero.

APEMAN8 -

As others alluded to above, barrel length has less to do with accuracy than with velocity.  A 11.5" barrel can be extremely accurate, but the velocity it imparts on the bullet is woefully lacking at distances over 100m in terms of fragmentiation.  14.5" barrels top out at ~150m with 77 grain ammo for fragmentation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True.  In other words, all barrels are inclined slightly (in comparison with the line of the rifle) , thus shooting the bullets slightly upward.  Otherwise you would never be able to zero.

Your line of sight is straight, when looking through a scope, but your rifle/barrel will be held at a slight up angle so that the flight of the bullet will pass through your line of sight twice, once close and once farther out.  Add into the equation the curvature of the Earth and now...............
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never said they defy the laws of gravity, I just said they rise. Then they apex and then they drop. Unless I'm shooting at something relatively close and low to the ground.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Assuming a decent round. Assuming some target.
Can you hit a target at 600 yards with a 11" barrel - Yes
Can you hit a target at 600 yards with a 5" barrel - Yes
Possible is one thing, probable is another.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I never said they defy the laws of gravity, I just said they rise. Then they apex and then they drop. Unless I'm shooting at something relatively close and low to the ground.

Just pokin' fun at you. I figured you didn't have special magic bullets. Or do you?

As Mongo said, in relation to your line of sight, yes they rise and fall, intersecting your line of sight twice. This arc gives the false impression that the bullet actually rises above the line of the bore.

The truth is that  they start dropping as soon as they exit the muzzle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top