Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 7:00:33 AM EDT
Has anyone painted an A2 stock set a SOLID COLOR (not camo) successfully?

I'm thinking of getting a GREEN stock set for my A2 (A2 stock, handguard and A2 grip) and then thought of painting it instead. That would open the door to perhaps a DARK GREY. But I don't want to loose the texture of the grip due to thick paint.

Do Lauer brand paints work well on plastic?

Thanks in advance for your insights into my question, opinons and pics welcome!

Hep
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I've  painted a few stock sets  in my time,like to spray a clear adhesive &  than spray paint chosen color over it,the adhesive works as a primmer and  helps paint bond onto stock & hand guards.

TG
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've  painted a few stock sets  in my time,like to spray a clear adhesive &  than spray paint chosen color over it,the adhesive works as a primmer and  helps paint bond onto stock & hand guards.

TG

That's pretty clever TG. What adhesive works the best? Also, what about paint? We taling Krylon or Lauer or ??? Any pics of the end result?

Suggestions welcome.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's my Bushmaster A2. I sprayed the stocks with Krylon khaki Ultra Flat color. Its a little darker then the picture shows, but still very light.

I debated painting the butt plate and rear swivel, but did it anyway. I just cleaned the stocks really well, and then took the buttstock apart before spraying. I gave it about three or four coats. Works well and seems to have held up okay, although I haven't really banged it around much.

Same gun with black for comparison.

Krylon came from WalMart.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Do Lauer brand paints work well on plastic?

We are still waiting on a verdict from tangochaser

lauer on an A2 grip in the sandbox
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used Norrells on several sets, and it works well.

The below furniture was black before.....

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not spend the $30 and get a new stock in the color of your choice from Cav-Arms? The color is all the way through so you can't scratch the color off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why not spend the $30 and get a new stock in the color of your choice from Cav-Arms? The color is all the way through so you can't scratch the color off.

I've thought of that, and may still do that. But I don't want an Ergo grip. I want an A2 grip.  Furthermore, I was thinking of a very DARK GREY as an option. That would be a nice change.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Then don't get the Ergo Grip.  Buy a green A2 grip from RRA or Armalite - come to think of it they also carry green A2 type stocks and handguards....

If you want grey Cav-Arms has that too - but I don't know if it's dark enough for you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Then don't get the Ergo Grip.  Buy a green A2 grip from RRA or Armalite - come to think of it they also carry green A2 type stocks and handguards....

If you want grey Cav-Arms has that too - but I don't know if it's dark enough for you.

Yes, I was aware of the green Armalite and RRA grips. How do they match with the green stocks from Cav Arms? I'm also aware of the Cav Arms grey set. No, it's a very light grey which I'm not interested in. Shit, I dyed my USC to get away from that shade of grey.

I'm curious about the painting because the idea popped to mind that I could chose whatever color I want and get it done. I was tired of combing the EE for an OD set...so I thought a little DIY set might be the ticket. And of Course I posted the question out here becasue there's ALWAYS an arfcommer with the answer!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've thought of that, and may still do that. But I don't want an Ergo grip. I want an A2 grip.  Furthermore, I was thinking of a very DARK GREY as an option. That would be a nice change.

In my case it was just for fun and the Krylon WAS cheaper then a stock set......

But do what the Stickman says... do the Moly thing.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been playing with Krylon & Krylon Fusion Primer and the results are OK but the durability just isn't there w/o some clear coat over it (even then it's still not up to par as a solid plastic).

If you don't shoot your rifle Krylon can look great, but I consider Krylon more for a field expediant method of camoflauging with the intention of periodically touching it up.  If you're concerned about the Armalite pistol grip matching the Cav-Arms Stock then I don't think Krylon is the way for you.

I'd be taking a look at some of those fancy epoxy type paints that require oven time for something that will look good and take a little abuse as the guys above are recomending.

Edited to Add:
I remembered a neat job BRASSPILE did.  He had a thread on it (what he used - how he did it) in the Team Section earlier this year.  You might want to contact him about what type of paint he used.  Here is the result:

It stuck in my head because I want to do a pink furnature AR for my daughter - but Cav Arms doesn't make a Pink A1 or A2 grip and the Ergo is a bit big for her hands.  That and I'd rather use the M4 style stock with it's larger buttplate than the smaller CAR stock (they only made the CAR telestocks in Pink).
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Norrells has a color that matches the older Colt gray....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top