Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 8:17:20 AM EDT
I have ordered a new RRA CAR 4 that should be in this week.  Unfortunately, I found this site AFTER I ordered my rifle.  Since belonging to this site, I have read about and learned many things that I did not know when I made my order.  One of which is that a chrome lined barrel is better that a chrome-molly barrel.

From what I can tell from RRA web site, my rifle will have a chrome-molly barrel.  What's the deal?  Every body on this site seems to agree that RRA makes a good rifle, but why don't they come with chrome lined barrels?  Should I be thinking about replacing my barrel or upper with something that is chrome lined?

Any advice or info that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Rock River makes a great rifle, don't have any second thoughts  just because you don't have a chrome lined barrel.  A chrome lined barrel is not necessary to the proper function of your new rifle.  Chrome lined barrels are a good upgrade from a standard barrel and will provide a little more barrel life, ease of cleaning and corrosion protection.  Get your new RRA rifle and shoot the crap out of it, if you want to upgrade the barrel down the road it is very easy to do and will not break the bank.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Precisely!

Rumor has it that non-chromed lined barrels are actually more accurate (although I'd like to see for myself if it is a measurable difference).

I talked to some really good people, and the general consensus was that unless you were taking the rifle into combat/service, chrome lining was NOT necessary.  As a shooter that most people clean fairly regularly, the moly barrels are good to go for range and home defense duty (if thats your intent).  

What other "many" things are you concerend about?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
RRA does come with Chrome lined barrels as well.  You just need to add that as an option.  I think the upgrade is $35.  I always buy the chrome lined not because it needs it per say but for resale value.  The great majority of users want chrome lined.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, guys
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
RRA does come with Chrome lined barrels as well.  You just need to add that as an option.  I think the upgrade is $35.  I always buy the chrome lined not because it needs it per say but for resale value.  The great majority of users want chrome lined.

Close but not quite......RRA only offers chrome lined barrels as a option on a very few selected barrel profiles. (R4)
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
My father and I both have RRA non chrome lined barrels, and they are great.  Don't worry a bit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close but not quite......RRA only offers chrome lined barrels as a option on a very few selected barrel profiles. (R4)

What he said. They don't have anything chrome lined for the 20-inchers, but it really didn't matter, I got an A4gery anyway.

WIZZO

BTW, shoot the hell out of it
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up my rifle this morning!  It's a Car 4 with olive drab handguards, pistol grip, and colapsible stock.  Also, I got the heavy barrel.  I can't wait to get out and shoot it.  Hopefully Monday morning!!!

Thanks for all the replies!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, forgot to mention the A3 flatop with carry handle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#10]
BTW, welcome to the world of ARs, and to this home of all the craziest AR nuts in the world  (and I include myself in that catagory)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top