Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2004 5:47:21 PM EDT
Do they make them in-house or do they have another vendor make them?

Just curious...
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Oly makes their own.  Matter of fact, they make the vast majority of their own parts.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Oly makes their own.  Matter of fact, they make the vast majority of their own parts.  

+1
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, they do all the machining "in house"  They are also one of the few that make their own barrels.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I took a factory tour last september and if I remember correectly they pretty much make everything but the springs, firing pins and plastic parts
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Who does all of the forging work on the lower recievers?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I would guess that they get them from more than one place, but I could be wrong.....  anyone?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Note that Olympic has a casting facility and their cast recievers, to the extent that they even make them anymore, are cast in house. Well, actually in Costa Mesa California, but you see what I mean.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, Oly still casts their own triggers and hammers in the Costa Mesa facility.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#10]
www.anchorharvey.com
Go look under customer service, and then "Military" Markets...you will see their forged uppers and lowers,charging handles etc. Continental and accurate forge also are manunufacturers of these components. How do I know? I sold components to Olympic for 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes, Oly still casts their own triggers and hammers in the Costa Mesa facility.

AR-15 triggers and hammers are not cast
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, both the trigger and hammer is cast.  I'm not telling you that YOUR trigger is cast but ALL of the ones I hve ever used are cast. (other than specialty hammers that I have purchased from time to time)  
I get "raw" triggers from Oly to make my own adjustable triggers.    When I get them it is quite clear that they are cast.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
So 20 years ago you had problems? Any recent experiences?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Oly still supplies these same cast triggers and hammers to some of the "assemblers" the you guys think are soooo goooood.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
My early 90's OA had problems, but never with the FCG and still working fine as of yesterday.  More rounds through it than I can count.  The last lower kit I used was OA and it went in fine, with a decent trigger pull.  I like the rounded hammers they use.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My early 90's OA had problems, but never with the FCG and still working fine as of yesterday.  More rounds through it than I can count.  The last lower kit I used was OA and it went in fine, with a decent trigger pull.  I like the rounded hammers they use.  

It's an "Oly" thing.  For some reason there are people that just love to talk about all the problems they have had or heard of people having with Oly products.  Over the last 12 years I have used boat-loads of AR parts and have had considerable troulbe with some of them,  rarely were they Oly parts.  For the most part, they were receivers or other parts that were machined by the lowest bidder for a company that has no "manufactureing" ability of their own.

From time to time I get very frustrated with oly myself, then I step back and realize that what I'm upset about is not getting a product "on time" that is available from NO other vendor.  Just try and call Armalite and ask for a 6X45 upper, or call Colt and ask if they will make you an upper in .25 WSSM or call Bushmaster and ask if they would make you a .17 Remington upper.  I'm not saying that Oly is the only place you can get some of these items but the major "manufacturers" put out a fairly small product line with little or no flexibility, that's exactly what I do, I offer a small product line with very few options.  It's much easier to keep promises that way.  It's also much easier to follow than it is to lead.  About the only time I run into problems in my business is when I am trying something new, something you can't buy at A,B,C or D.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top