Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2004 2:31:34 AM EDT
I am looking for something to replace my stock tac latch.  The stock one doesn't have as much grip to it as I would like.  Badger Ord makes two nice options from what I have seen.  The one with the loop on the end is a little large for my taste so I was considering the Gen 2.  It's not oversized and looks like it would give a good grip.  Does anyone have this tac latch on their AR?  Is it a good option for use with gloves?
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 2:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 2:34:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You would have to really convince me that it is better than the PRI Big Batch before I got one to replace my Big Latch(s).  It is priced about the same as the Big Latch also.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 2:57:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do you feel the PRI latch is better?  Is it just personal preference?
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#4]

I have no experience with this version however.

I have experience with all three. The Gen I Badger has a nice sharp edge where it engages the upper receiver.  Many have complained about damage to the receiver from this sharp edge.  The Gen II has that same corner beveled to reduce wear on the upper.  I buy discarded Gen I's and "dehorn" them myself because I prefer the larger finger engagement surface of the Gen. I.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#5]
i too like the pri big latch. i had the first gen badger latch and it sucked big time!

from what denny has stated in the add this was made to compete with the pri latch. they look to be the same lenght but has a flat serrated edge, the pri is just round

pic of the pri borrowed from mstn

i still like my pri latches and i am with mongo about the badger's
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this the Gen 1 or is it something else altogether?  If it is I was already planning to avoid this one based on it's size.  I know it would work good for my purpose, but I can also imagine it getting snagged on a lot of things and it would probably be rough on the lining of my soft case.  The Gen 2 looks like it wouldn't cause much more wear than the stock part.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for posting that pic eklikwhoa.  It looks like the Big Latch doesn't come back as far when depressed as I had thought it would.  Looks like it comes back to about 90 degrees in relation to the charging handle.  Plus it doesn't stick out too far.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 3:45:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Is this the Gen 1 or is it something else altogether?

You are correct.  It is Gen. I.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is this the Gen 1 or is it something else altogether?

You are correct.  It is Gen. I.

Thank you.  I like it, but it is not what I want for this rifle.

After seeing that pic of one installed I think I'm leaning towards the Big Latch.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 3:58:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#11]
yeah forgot to add the pri doesnt stick out as far from the ch

Quoted:
Thanks for posting that pic eklikwhoa.  It looks like the Big Latch doesn't come back as far when depressed as I had thought it would.  Looks like it comes back to about 90 degrees in relation to the charging handle.  Plus it doesn't stick out too far.

Link Posted: 12/15/2004 4:57:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a Gen I. Had. Over time it DID seem to wear the area where it engaged the upper. Hence, replaced with the PRI.

Looking at the Gen II, I don't really see what they did to obviate this potential problem. In this case, I think Badger's notorious rock hard strength is actually a weakness.

I'd get the PRI.

Link Posted: 12/15/2004 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#13]
i've got some comparison pics of the gen I and II here (username and password are both 'mm' to view large pics):
www.militarymorons.com/weapons/weapons.1.html#taclatch
keep in mind that i'm a leftie, and find the larger size of the gen I useful to me as i reach over with my right hand to activate the CH. also, since i'm a leftie, the left side of the rifle faces outboard, and the latch doesn't get caught or stick into me like it might for righties.  neither the gen II nor the PRI big latch have enough surface area for me to sweep with the knife edge of my hand. YMMV for righties, most definitely.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for posting that link.  I didn't know you had reviewed them.  Considering JLM's comments also I am going with the PRI.  I admit I like the look of the Gen 2 better but the PRI Big Latch seems like the better choice for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thank you for posting that link.  I didn't know you had reviewed them.  Considering JLM's comments also I am going with the PRI.  I admit I like the look of the Gen 2 better but the PRI Big Latch seems like the better choice for me.

good choice
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I think the PRI has a different angle which moves the hook out of the way quicker, thus preventing the wear when moving the CH to the rear.  The PRI is the best so far that I've seen. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Its hard to describe, but the PRI has a 'radius' to it. Hopefully I'll get my digital cam back this week, and I can take a close up of that area for those that don't have one. From the pics posted so far, the Badger
looks like it comes to a point along the 45 degree angle.

Someone send me a Badger, and I'll photograph that too........

For the record I think Badger makes GREAT stuff, btw.  The serrations are a great idea as well.

Link Posted: 12/19/2004 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Badger Latch(Gen1) does have the most positive fell of all but it wears the upper and destroys the charging latch.
I have seen the Gen1 Badger latches twist open the charging latch lower side + wear the charging latch on the right side.
Due to the twisting forces it can load on to the charginglatch I think the Gen2 or Pri latches are much better.
I use only Pri Big Latch Military on mY ar`s (2)

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a Badger Ord tac-latch, I've spent alot on stuff I don't use but that was the worst move as has been mentioned it wears the corner out of the notch in the upper, now use a PRI flat latch , if only the people at Badger Ordnance would read how everyone gripes about the damage that damn point does, I guess they did!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I got rid of the Gen1, for PRI's, before it had a chance to work on my upper. I got rid of it because, with a three point sling, it was always jabbing me in the ribs. And when I used a single point sling, it would nail me in the balls.
PRI's should be standard equiptment.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Badger Ordnance Gen II tac latch, and there is no pointy hook, like in the above photo.  The point has been cut off and is flat.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I got the PRI latch and was skeptical at first.

That is until I tried it- in action

That seemingly minor enhancement is totally un-believable.

I will be adding it (or the Gen II- above) to all my AR's
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top