Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 3:54:32 PM EDT
CMMG states an 11% excise tax for a complete upper and lower being shipped. Is just the lower taxed the 11%? Or is it the entire rifle? Is there any way around this, like ordering upper and lower at seperate times?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#1]
They are taxing you because they are sending you a "complete rifle".  Our government taxes any complete rifle.  Buy your lower from one place and an upper from another and save yourself 11%.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They are taxing you because they are sending you a "complete rifle".  Our government taxes any complete rifle.  Buy your lower from one place and an upper from another and save yourself 11%.hr

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated. Problem is, CMMG sells their lowers for a very cheap price, far under retail, and I haven't found them any cheaper online. If I were to order an upper today, and a lower in a few weeks, from them, would I still be taxed?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are taxing you because they are sending you a "complete rifle".  Our government taxes any complete rifle.  Buy your lower from one place and an upper from another and save yourself 11%.

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated. Problem is, CMMG sells their lowers for a very cheap price, far under retail, and I haven't found them any cheaper online. If I were to order an upper today, and a lower in a few weeks, from them, would I still be taxed?

Have your dealer order the lower, and you order the Upper.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are taxing you because they are sending you a "complete rifle".  Our government taxes any complete rifle.  Buy your lower from one place and an upper from another and save yourself 11%.hr

Have your dealer order the lower, and you order the Upper.

Thanks a ton for all of your help guys, much appreciated like always.

John
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, you have to have the lower sent to an FFL any way, so just have the upper sent to your home, and not with the lower.  Voila, legal tax evasion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top