Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 9:21:28 PM EDT
m4 handguards.  What  do you guys think about it. How does it compare to the competition. And once installed is there any play in the handguards or is it rock solid? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the kac ras install was quick and simple and is rock solid no play at all, the kac ras is also the choice of the military.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one for sale. Never mounted, four panels, $250 shipped. LMK.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Rock solid, 0 complaints here
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:31:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

IM inbound.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ooooo, $10 less than what I paid for mine.  Bought it new on the EE.  Thank god for the EE!  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
[The Military DOES use them, but would NEVER mount an optic or laser on one (unless your just shooting CQB)...

C4

Total BS.  There must be 10,000 pictures from Afganistan & Iraq showing PEQ-2's and PAQ-4's on our (KAC) M4 RAS and M5 RAS in Army, USMC, USAF, SpecOps, British SAS, SEALs, etc..  I mean, that is what the rail forend is "four"...mounting sighting aids like lasers.

And my M68 Aimpoint is dead nuts on every shot at 300meters at man-size targets.

Maybe some people need to do some basic research before they post what are obviously narrow personal opinions.  or if they don't know, just remain quiet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
[The Military DOES use them, but would NEVER mount an optic or laser on one (unless your just shooting CQB)...

C4

Total BS.  There must be 10,000 pictures from Afganistan & Iraq showing PEQ-2's and PAQ-4's on our (KAC) M4 RAS and M5 RAS in Army, USMC, USAF, SpecOps, British SAS, SEALs, etc..  I mean, that is what the rail forend is "four"...mounting sighting aids like lasers.

And my M68 Aimpoint is dead nuts on every shot at 300meters at man-size targets.

Maybe some people need to do some basic research before they post what are obviously narrow personal opinions.  or if they don't know, just remain quiet.

My M4 RAS works fine, and I like it....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Lol, we got the Kknights guy laying a bitchslap on a dealer. Ouch
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I liked my issue M-4 with RAS so much that when it was time to pick a rail. I picked a KAC RAS. great design, battle tested, easy to take on and off, solid as woodpecker lips and is the standard by which all other Non free floated rails are judged upon. (in my opinion) and with all the newer Rails on the market. a Smart shopper can pick one up off someone (who's buying the newerails) at a decentt price around $200-250 dollars. and be happy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

C4

For some reason, I saw this coming.  

I personally prefer the KAC forends, especially the MRE's.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Lol, we got the Kknights guy laying a bitchslap on a dealer. Ouch

Careful or this will turn into a KAC vs Larue argument .

The KAC RAS is a solid piece of gear.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Several dealers on the EE board have stopped carring the product.  You may want to investigate why.

Regards,

Gary
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an M4 ras2 and an m5 and they both rock!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have used optics mounted to an RAS, and must say that I really prefer a FF rail. There was some play when I torqed the VFG.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Several dealers on the EE board have stopped carring the product.  You may want to investigate why.

Regards,

Gary

It is because KAC changed the rules on how much a dealer has to buy, dollar wise, before KAC will sell them anything.  Having $5K worth of gear hanging around isn't the small business owners idea of good business practice.  I may have some of the specifics and dollar amounts off, but the general idea is there, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Grant, what's your opinion on the KAC RIS unit? Same thing as in not putting optics on it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Grant, what's your opinion on the KAC RIS unit? Same thing as in not putting optics on it?

Same deal. If you folks want to mount your Aimpoint or EOTech on them please be my guest. My luck with them and optics hasn't been all that good....

C4

I was thinking of one for just a vertical grip and surefire, which should be fine. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Good to see the Colonel is back.

Any URX latest info?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:17:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

Well hello Dave! Did you ever read any of the SOPMOD Deficiency  Report? It has been awhile since I have read it, but I seem to remember them stating it was a bad idea to mount an Optic onto the KAC RAS as it can shift left and right. I owned one for years and found this problem to be true as well. For CQB work, I think it is fine, but for longer shooting, I would only put an optic on a FF rail system. I also recently met with some customers that work out of Little Creek Amphib Base and they showed me their setup's. They had their Aimpoints mounted on the receiver and NOT on their KAC RAS's. Maybe they know something you don't?

C4

Sorry to have come accross so hard, but there is so much half-true info out there I get really frustrated at times...especially at the end of a tough week (note I posted late friday afternoon..I will refrain from that in the future).
I am in a much better mood on Saturday mornings with my coffee.
"Half Truths."  For example, your otherwise excellant post above sighting the SOPMOD Deficincy Report.
First off I have addressed this several times over the years.
Second, they don;t have the KAC RAS, they have the KAC RIS, so you have quoted it wrong or the guys that wrote the report don't know the difference between the RIS's they have and a RAS, and if they didn't, then how valid the opinion?.  And even your own web site lists the more solid attachment of the RAS vs the original RIS.  By the way, your explaination is really good except at the end about the M203...makes no difference what the host weapon has, RIS or RAS (of course there are no rifle length RIS's).
Thirdly, when you go hunting for $$$ for your next generation free-floating rail system, you got to really bad-mouth what you want to replace as justification.
Fourthly, how bad is their current system if after 4 years of starting a replacement program they are still at square one?  I mean, the Block-2 Rail proposals and hardware that took 3 years to initiate a Solicitation for and obtain have been collecting dust for more than a year.  While during the last 4 years, they have refused to buy the more secure RAS as a same cost one-for-one RIS replacement, or the improved SAS lower to "fix" their 8 year old well worn original RIS's, and have purchased thousands of more RIS in the meantime.  We even offered to number a special USSOCOM RAS like the RIS (1-13).
As far as optics on the top RIS or RAS rail, I recommend only 1x Reflex sights like the M68 Aimpoint, etc.  However, I have had very excellent results with 1.5-4.5x optics with the front scope ring at the rear of the RAS, but I don't use the VPG so I am not putting the kind of pressure on the forend rails as some who use the VPG and pull or push on it hard.  That is why a lot of these guys have switched over to one of our (KAC) M4A1 Carbine FF Rails or the MRE's.
Grant, I will buy beer at the Shot Show...
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#30]
FWIW:
I ran an EOTECH 552 Rev E then an Aimpoint M2 and lastly a EOTECH 552 REV F on a RAS in Afghanistan.  As well I have my PEQ2A on the RAS and my SF light...

We shot prety much a min of once a week on the range to confim zero's and keep continuation trg going.  The only time I had a zero change is when I changed optics (naturally)

My C8SFW compared to one of our guys C8A1

While I would prefer a freefloat handguard (READ URX) I dont feel inadequate with the M4 RAS.

Cheers
Kevin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top