Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 3:30:58 PM EDT
I understand the differences in manufacuring between a machined or forged lower receiver, but which one is better, what benefits would one have over the other?  I have searched for a previous post but I couldn't find one.  I was also wandering if someone had a link to a lower ranking by tiers.  I found the one on magazines and it was very helpful.  Is there a similar post for lower receivers?  If there is I couldn't find it either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Forged is stronger than machined.

Honestly its about lower features to me and not anything else because finish varies a lot and I consider Colt the lowest tier possible due to the large pins and units with takedown screws and sear blocks.  You will get a lot of ideas that conflict with who makes the best lowers.  I think they are all about the same as long as the finish is good.  Slightly better machining on a RRA vs a Bushmaster means nothing to me personally... its all about function.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All receivers are machined.  The best (in general) are machined from aluminum forgings.  Forging just gets the parts close to the right size and shape.  Usually the exterior won't need any work, but the inside sure will.  Forgings aren't magic, however, and you can get bad ones.  Not likely.

-- CHuck

Thank you.  

I was just about to say the same thing.

Machined from billet I believe is the real question; and Troy answered it superbly.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top