Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 7:37:04 AM EDT
I need some help deciding on my next upper. I want a flattop with a 16” barrel, very similar to a Rock River varmint. 16” SS barrel with a free floating handguard. I plan on putting a scope on the upper. I want to use this when I go lurking through the woods, sniping at crows, woodchucks, whatever varmint gets in the way.

Is the Rock River the way to go? Anyone else have a similar upper to what I am looking at?

Thanks to all

Eric
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#2]
That is very close to what I was thinking. I think I would go with a more plain free float handguard. IM sent to you Bigbore. I think we need to talk.

Please keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind the RRA varmint bbl are HEAVY!! Maybe too heavy if you're going to be hauling it around for very long.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, look at the DPMS Lo Pro upper. These are flattop's with no foward assist or dust cover with a 16" heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Keep in mind the RRA varmint bbl are HEAVY!! Maybe too heavy if you're going to be hauling it around for very long.

Remember, there are actually 3 RRA stainless barrel profiles. The lighest is the R4 but that is only available in a carbine length gas system. The intermediate is the CAR 16" in SS (which is what I have) and it is available in carbine and midlength. I haven't gotten out and really accurately measured it but I'm pretty sure it's .750" wide at the gas block expending to a little under an inch wide under the handguards. The fattest of the 3 is the Varmint profile. I got a chance to check one of these monsters out at a gun show last weekend. .92" width at the gas block and over an inch under the handguard. My rifle is heavy. This thing is the rifle equivalent of a light armored vehicle. The thing is, the difference in accuracy is marginal and the weight gain is pretty significant. If you're going to be carrying it around, consider an R4 in stainless or a CAR profile. Your shoulder will thank you for it in the long run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top