Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 9:46:25 PM EDT
I was just looking at mine and a friend's LMT barrels today, right after stumbling upon sovereign's thread.

I've owned/have chrome lined barrels, and always observed the discernable "ring" on the crown.  However, when I look at mine and my friend's LMT uppers, the barrels don't exhibit the same "ring".  The chamber is definately chrome and it looks to be that the bore is as well, but it's hard to tell without a bore-scope (due to the A2 hiders).

Anyone else notice the same with their LMTs?

-Jim
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Jim, I'll try to get ya some pics today.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I think what people are experiencing is what some dealers started doing back a few years ago when they would buy parts to resell from manufacturers and told people they were 'FN'

Not pointing any fingers to any dealer here, just speculation...

I also heard (from a reliabile source) that LMT is contracted to make parts that Bushmaster, RRA, and a few other guys sell, so you might be getting something from LMT that is an overrun from a BM contract?

Again, just guessing here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine definitely has the chrome "ring" just like what I had in my Colt (maybe a touch better)...

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks to be chrome here, looking down the barrel. I have a lot of carbon on my muzzle thou. Well, HAD :)

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never had the FH off of my LMT M4 upper, but the chamber and barrel are certainly chrome.

In honor of some of the other LMT conversations around here lately I brought my LMT rig out to the range yesterday for 160 rounds of XM193 quality time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#6]

In honor of some of the other LMT conversations around here lately I brought my LMT rig out to the range yesterday for 160 rounds of XM193 quality time.

I fired 120 in about 3 minutes to test mine All go, no quit.....

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Can I get an AMEN ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Same here!

My LMT has been reliable since the day I purchased it.

1k down the tube, with 240 of them undergoing Tweak's "4 magazine DUMP".

Not one single hiccup.  Well, except for a bad Center magazine (which was remedied by installing Ken Elmore's red magazine spring).

I am absolutely pleased with the upper's performance and it actually does quite well when sandbagged @ 100yds with Fed XM193.

It's just that I'm wondering if it's possible to parkerize over industrial chrome?  Because, if we were just to look for the "ring" at the muzzle, you couldn't tell that it was chrome lined.  Well, at least I couldn't.

The chamber is most definately chrome lined, I can see that ring as if it were the Devil's onion ring.

-Jim
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can I get an AMEN ?

Amen brothers, Amen...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe I've just been lucky, but all of my AR's run as reliably as the other.  Colt, Bushmaster, RRA, and now LMT.  I think the baseline standard for an AR is that it runs all the time unless there is a mag or ammo problem.  I don't get excited over the weapon functioning correctly and producing at least 2 moa at 100 yds with decent ammo.   Kindof like showing up for work vs. doing a good job.  I don't commend my employees for showing up.  There is a good thread on the tactical forum where these chaps that train commented on various parts failures.  Colt was No.1 by far, no LMT's were tested.  You won't know much with a big maker until you get about 5000 or more rounds through it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Maybe I've just been lucky, but all of my AR's run as reliably as the other.  Colt, Bushmaster, RRA, and now LMT.  I think the baseline standard for an AR is that it runs all the time unless there is a mag or ammo problem.  I don't get excited over the weapon functioning correctly and producing at least 2 moa at 100 yds with decent ammo.   Kindof like showing up for work vs. doing a good job.  I don't commend my employees for showing up.  There is a good thread on the tactical forum where these chaps that train commented on various parts failures.  Colt was No.1 by far, no LMT's were tested.  You won't know much with a big maker until you get about 5000 or more rounds through it.

In case anyone is interested, here is that discussion from TF: AR15 Deficiencies
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
CJan_NH,

That's a good read, always worthwhile to read it every now and then.

So far, my LMT has held up just great and I will be putting more down the tube this weekend.

-Jim
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks CJan, that's the thread.  Interesting stuff.  Most of us simply don't work our gear hard enough to see real problems.  If someone has a decent maker AR that is problematic before 5-10k rounds, then they got a lemon.  Lemons sneak out in everything manufactured.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Somebody needs to get comparable Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, LMT, and RRA products and shoot them all, toss them around, neglect them,  etc., until they start to fail.  If I ever hit a jackpot or lottery, I'll do it for ya'll.

Quoted:
CJan_NH,

So far, my LMT has held up just great and I will be putting more down the tube this weekend.

-Jim

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Somebody needs to get comparable Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, LMT, and RRA products and shoot them all, toss them around, neglect them,  etc., until they start to fail.  If I ever hit a jackpot or lottery, I'll do it for ya'll.

Quoted:
CJan_NH,

-Jim

LOL

I'll take one rib!

In all seriousness, that'd be a groovy thing to do but for now, we're just going to have to take into the account all of the experiences that those guys on TF have to say.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Lemons sneak out in everything manufactured.

No truer words have ever been spoken-consistency is the absolute key.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#17]
You nailed that one re consistency CJan.  That really is what its all about because that is the essence of production.  It would be nice to hear from those guys who train (e.g., Blackwater) re weapon (ab)use.  I'm taking my dog for a walk for about a mile right now, just like most of my neighbors do.  We are all the same in that respect and in performing that task.  Now, roust us out of bed and make us all run 5 miles and you'll see who you want on your team.  Right now, you'd probably want my neighbor Greg on your team, not me  Any decent AR is about a grand worth of gear and all such AR's should be able to walk the dog.....................

Quoted:

Lemons sneak out in everything manufactured.

No truer words have ever been spoken-consistency is the absolute key.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I am still waiting on my LMT upper/lower/crane stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top