Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 2:36:15 AM EDT
I recently purchased a Colt M4 Match Target .223 rifle. Under Colt's website they have it listed as a "commercial" rifle. How is this rifle different from the military or LE versions,  aside from what is stamped on the lower? I know the stock is fixed, and there is a muzzle brake that is different , but what about the internals?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently purchased a Colt M4 Match Target .223 rifle. Under Colt's website they have it listed as a "commercial" rifle. How is this rifle different from the military or LE versions,  aside from what is stamped on the lower? I know the stock is fixed, and there is a muzzle brake that is different , but what about the internals?

It has a pesky sear block and the large FC pins, the fornt pivot pin is "correct" the 0.25.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no sear block.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
What are "FC pins"?

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What are "FC pins"?

Fire Control pins. The pins in your
lower reciever that retain the internals. They are
larger on the M4 Match than on the LEO models.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are "FC pins"?

Fire Control pins. The pins in your
lower reciever that retain the internals. They are
larger on the M4 Match than on the LEO models.

Actually the pins on the LE models are the large size also. With the exception of the roll stamps fixed stock, brake, and lack of bayonet lug,  the 6400C is the same.
The internals are the same.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]
What do you mean by "roll stamps" when refering to the fixed stock?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, I ment the writing on the side is different. It doesnt have anything to do with the stock. I left out a comma.

I had my brake changed out by ADCO with a flash suppressor, and a I put on a no-ban stock. Other than the bayonet lug ( that I dont want)  It has the same specs as the Colt LE 6920 models and is the same quality.

More info on 6400C here

And Here
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:Actually the pins on the LE models are the large size also. With the exception of the roll stamps fixed stock, brake, and lack of bayonet lug,  the 6400C is the same.
The internals are the same.

Actually it depends on which LE gun you got and when it was made.

Shortly according to Colt all guns will be back to proper measurements - the semi guns just won;t have all the sear are drilled out (like the semi LE series is now)

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually it depends on which LE gun you got and when it was made.

Yup.  It seems like Colt makes a lot of changes on the fly.  I got my LE gun in 97 I think, and it has the Large pins.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
MArk a buddy and I got LE6920's about three years ago - serial # were close - he got small pins mine were large - no other differences
Only in a COLT
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sorry, I ment the writing on the side is different. It doesnt have anything to do with the stock. I left out a comma.

I'm of the school of thought that the 6400c has the "best" markings of any recent AR. I personally would rather have M4 carbine than Law Enforcement carbine anyday...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My Match Target is the best rifle I have ever owned. I had that ugly compensator removed and had a local gunsmith put on a muzzle break that looks like the A2 suppressor but it had to be pinned. He did an awesome job. I come from the great "Colt" state of Connecticut. I can be at the Colt factory in about 25 minutes but were have laws prohibiting "Sporters" or "AR-15" marked lowers. It makes me sick.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#13]
So what difference does having smaller or larger FC pins than other guns have to do with anything?
Does this prohibit me from doing anything to my rifle ( repairing worn parts, replacing with better parts in lower receiver) that others can?

I assume this was done to make it harder for me to illegally convert it to a full auto, but as long as I do not plan to do this,  is my MT rifle harder to make any normal changes?

Thanks, I'm really trying to absorb all this.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So what difference does having smaller or larger FC pins than other guns have to do with anything?Does this prohibit me from doing anything to my rifle ( repairing worn parts, replacing with better parts in lower receiver) that others can?

I assume this was done to make it harder for me to illegally convert it to a full auto, but as long as I do not plan to do this,  is my MT rifle harder to make any normal changes?
Thanks, I'm really trying to absorb all this.

Sear block = "harder for me to illegally convert it to a full auto". The only problem the large FC pins have is if you want to use sometining like the KAC 2-stage trigger or anything requires 0.154" pins, its not an option. The Sear block on the 6400C also prevents from using a trigger such as the CMC "drop" in trigger without having the lower reciever milled to remove it (the unmilled portion). Hopefully, in the future, Colt will provide civy versions of their full Mil-Spec weapons.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have no sear block in my MT lower, just a thin metal web for lack of a better term.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have no sear block in my MT lower, just a thin metal web for lack of a better term.

Here is one of mine to visually demonstrate what you mean:

Here are the rollmarks of the MT6400C M4:

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I cant tell what kind of stock you have on your lower? What kind is it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I cant tell what kind of stock you have on your lower? What kind is it?

It's an Ace shorty stock. Here's a pic:

That Ace stock has since been replaced (twice actually ) Here it is the same Colt with a MagPul M93:

Here is a recent pic with a Vltor stock:

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice set up you have. How do you like that sure fire mount? Is that a Mark 23 I see there?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nice set up you have. How do you like that sure fire mount? Is that a Mark 23 I see there?

Thanks for the kind words

I like the Surefire M500A a lot. While it isn't freefloating I didn't feel that freefloating was necessary at defensive carbine distances-opinions vary widely on that of course. I also removed one of the heatshields to improve airflow around the barrel. The controls of the M500A are set up well, and my support hand seems to fit it well. Overall I'm thrilled with it, though I haven't found a use for the LED running lights. I'm sure if I were a SWAT operator or a soldier they would come in very handy, but for a couchborne range commando like me they aren't used very often.

The pistol is a standard fullsize HK USP45 with an extended target barrel with conventional rifling. So many people warned me about shooting lead reloads through HK's polygonal rifled barrels that I added this one so I could save money using lead at the range. This HK is the softest shooting 45 I have ever owned, and so far it has served me very well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I just picked up a Surefire M3 Combat light with Crenelated Bezel. I need to get a pressure swith for my Tangodown Foregrip  and then mount the light on my  M73 rails . Unfortunatley here in Connecticut collpsable stocks are a no no, but I like the look of that Ace shorty you have.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just picked up a Surefire M3 Combat light with Crenelated Bezel. I need to get a pressure swith for my Tangodown Foregrip  and then mount the light on my  M73 rails . Unfortunatley here in Connecticut collpsable stocks are a no no, but I like the look of that Ace shorty you have.

Thanks! It sounds like you're going to have one heck of a nice setup I've been looking at the M73 for an upcoming build, and It seems like an excellent performer.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#23]
My MT is complete with the exception of the light and rail covers. If you get the M73 rails make sure you make the mounting screws nice and tight, or at least have the allen wrench with you when you go to the range.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Will do. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm of the school of thought that the 6400c has the "best" markings of any recent AR. I personally would rather have M4 carbine than Law Enforcement carbine anyday...

I prefer mine, it says "AR15A3".  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#26]
You are lucky..here in Connecticut that is banned.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You are lucky..here in Connecticut that is banned.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top