Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 6:31:30 PM EDT
They fit perfectly before.  Now, if I get the rear takedown pin through, the forward pin won't go in, unless I force it in with a rubber mallet and vice-versa with the forward pin in first.  In either case, if I force the pins through, I can't take it down w/o the use of a punch and mallet.  What could have happened?

BTW, the work I had done was: (1) attachment of Daniel Defense FF rail system, (2) remove Wilson Combat MB, and (3) thread and attach Phantom FH.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the pins go through only the lowers, the only explination I can see is that they accidentally switched your lower with someone else's. Call them and see what's up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you try contacting ADCO about this first, before you posted it here?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean this isn't their fucking complaint desk???
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Wanker.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
you should put the front pin in first.  THen the rear takedown.   Try this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Did you try contacting ADCO about this first, before you posted it here?

No, I haven't contact ADCO.  I just received the upper tonight and figured if was something simple, I could take care of it myself.  I also am asking for ideas on what COULD cause this, so that when I DO contact ADCO, I can communicate in an informative way with them.

Since the pins go through only the lowers, the only explination I can see is that they accidentally switched your lower with someone else's. Call them and see what's up.

I sent the upper only, so they could not have switched the lower.

Its not a complaint, asshat.  Its a question.  If it was a complaint, it would be worded along the lines of "ADCO screwed up my upper".  I'm not accusing them of doing anything wrong.  I'm looking for tehcnical info, not half-witted responses.

Wanker.

Yes, killsoft, aren't you the intelligent one?

you should put the front pin in first. THen the rear takedown. Try this.

Doesn't matter which pin goes in frst, the other sticks.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Its not a complaint, asshat.  Its a question.  If it was a complaint, it would be worded along the lines of "ADCO screwed up my upper".  I'm not accusing them of doing anything wrong.  I'm looking for tehcnical info, not half-witted responses.

So we must endure your half witted questions?  If they fit before and now they don't fit; the implication of your question is that ADCO fucked your shit up.

Call them and deal with them.  Don't be a retard and air laundry here.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have swapped upper receivers and had to use a rubber mallet to get the rear pin in.

What I do, is I go to the range and put 150 rounds through the gun.  When I get back, the pins work flawlessly (no rubber mallet required).

Just a thought.

As for why it happened, maybe they put the upper in some kind of a vice while doing the work, and the vice bent the part of the upper that has the pinholes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No, I haven't contact ADCO.

UPS dropped it.  The truck ran it over.  Someone broke in to the shop and kicked it while it was in the vice............

Who knows?  I bet the EXPERTS at ADCO would know.......
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]

If they fit before and now they don't fit; the implication of your question is that ADCO fucked your shit up.

No, asshat, the implication is that something is DIFFERENT than it was before.  It may be a common result of having an upper worked on and no big deal.  I don't know and that is why I posed the question.  Why don't you wander off and uh, like not visit this thread anymore.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]

As for why it happened, maybe they put the upper in some kind of a vice while doing the work, and the vice bent the part of the upper that has the pinholes.

Good thought, but the pin lug (or whatever you call) on the upper is of course intergral to the upper and there are no marks on it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If they fit before and now they don't fit; the implication of your question is that ADCO fucked your shit up.

No, asshat, the implication is that something is DIFFERENT than it was before.  It may be a common result of having an upper worked on and no big deal.  I don't know and that is why I posed the question.  Why don't you wander off and uh, like not visit this thread anymore.

Second time you called me an asshat.  Go fuck yourself tool.  Call the company and work it out.  A lot of stuff can happen when an upper is in a vise.  Most of it not so good....

Sounds like something may have happened to it while being worked on, that's not normal.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]

that's not normal.

That's the ind of answer I was looking for.  I didn't know if it was normal or not.  See, a civil response wasn't so hard afterall, was it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Geeezzz, guy asks for help and the 'somebody needs a nap' crew tears him a new one...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

that's not normal.

That's the ind of answer I was looking for.  I didn't know if it was normal or not.  See, a civil response wasn't so hard afterall, was it?

Oh you wanted someone to state the obvious?  Ok, cool, glad I could help.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Geeezzz, guy asks for help and the 'somebody needs a nap' crew tears him a new one...

M4arc, "Did you try contacting ADCO about this first, before you posted it here?"

My initial response was to this question.......
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Oh you wanted someone to state the obvious? Ok, cool, glad I could help.

From time to time, I see new AR owners expressing concern about a loose fit between their upper and lower and wondering if they should send it back.  Do you fault these folks for stupidly not recognizing the "obvious", i.e., that some play is normal?  Do you ridicule them for asking a simple question?

I'm glad you're an AR expert.  I'm not.  Hence why I asked the question.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#18]
talk to adco first...  they'll set it straight...

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#19]
rock_jock, everyone seems to be very defensive lately and quick to make smart remarks.  Try not to take it so personally.  It must be becasue of the uncertaintly of the coming election or something.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:36:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Second time you called me an asshat.  Go fuck yourself tool.  Call the company and work it out.  A lot of stuff can happen when an upper is in a vise.  Most of it not so good....

Sounds like something may have happened to it while being worked on, that's not normal.

Glad to see we can all be mature here.  

I say go pump a couple hundred rounds through it and see if it loosens up.  If that don't work, maybe UPS did run it over, but I say that it's a testament to the durability of the AR if they did, and you can still put it on a lower, let alone shoot it at all.  Maybe you have a match fit rifle now with no play.
-g
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:37:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you re install your receiver extension (buffer tube) on the lower?  I had something similar happen recently and it turned out that when I reinstalled my extension that I inadvertently screwed it in too far and the upper was contacting the upper part of the extension.  I backed it out 1 turn and was good to go.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Did you re install your receiver extension (buffer tube) on the lower?  I had something similar happen recently and it turned out that when I reinstalled my extension that I inadvertently screwed it in too far and the upper was contacting the upper part of the extension.  I backed it out 1 turn and was good to go.

+1

Kudos.

A simple, concise, suggestion that offers a possible solution, without any attitude.

Probably what he was looking for when he posted his question.

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Did UPS run it over with a truck?

See, I KNEW it......
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Just to follow up with what C4iGrant said if you want to post something but haven't had the time to contact the dealer first, maybe it's a weekend, then please don't include the name of the business.  Keep it generic if you will.  For instance:

Sent my upper to have it unbanned and now the upper and lower won't mate correctly - whassup?

See how much better that is?  If someone asked who did it just tell them you'd rather not say until you've had a chance to talk to them.   Believe me, I know you were all jazzed up and excited when it arrived and I know exactly how you felt when it didn't go together right but at least contact the dealer first, give them the chance to troubleshoot it and possibly correct it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Allright, folks.  You're right.  I should not have mentioned "ADCO" in the title.  I should have just said "Vendor X".  However, it was not meant to mislead anyone into thinking that they screwed something up.  It was simply in anticipation of what inevitably would be the first questions: "what did you have done to the upper and who did the work?"  If I thought ADCO was a less than reputable company, I would not have sent them the receiver in the first place.  So, just to make it loud and clear I AM IN NO WAY ACCUSING ADCO OF DOING ANYTHING, HOWEVER REMOTELY, WRONG.  And, I apologize to anyone that may have misinterpreted the post as a slam.  My feelings about them as a quality group have not changed one iota.

That having been said, a good percentage of the questions posted on this forum are probably more approrpiately directed to a manufacturer/vendor, but it is often more expedient to ask them here first to figure out possibilities before contacting the sales/support  dept.  I (usually) can rely on some quick and knowledgable advice here, something I can use to start looking at the problem right away.

Did you re install your receiver extension (buffer tube) on the lower? I had something similar happen recently and it turned out that when I reinstalled my extension that I inadvertently screwed it in too far and the upper was contacting the upper part of the extension. I backed it out 1 turn and was good to go.

This might be it.   I installed a Magpul stock last week while the upper was at ADCO.  I did not even consider this as a possiblity since I did the same thing last month to another lower and did not encounter any fit problems after.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This might be it.   I installed a Magpul stock last week while the upper was at ADCO.  I did not even consider this as a possiblity since I did the same thing last month to another lower and did not encounter any fit problems after.

So you make a major change to the lower.......

Oh nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
talk to adco first...  they'll set it straight...

yes, i agree, they will take care of you, they are good people, i have done buisness with them, they will take good care of you
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Why don't you edit your thread title? If you found out you installed the stock incorrectly, you might want to edit it to reflect that as well...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Did you re install your receiver extension (buffer tube) on the lower? I had something similar happen recently and it turned out that when I reinstalled my extension that I inadvertently screwed it in too far and the upper was contacting the upper part of the extension. I backed it out 1 turn and was good to go.

I have seen several threads recently where the receiver tube had to be relieved at the top, so the upper would close, when the tube was screwed in enough to retain the buffer retainer and spring.

I think you have got a solution.

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you make a major change to the lower.......

Oh nevermind.

I can't help but laugh, having followed this drama from beginning to end.  I'm glad your problem was not ADCO and that it is solved.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#35]
MEN LIKE IT TIGHT!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Simple mistake, it happens.  Magpul stock is most likely the problem, so check that.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Problem is solved.  A full range of maturity was displayed by the posters on this thread and I appreciate those who offered constructive advice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Problem is solved.  A full range of maturity was displayed by the posters on this thread and I appreciate those who offered constructive advice.

Glad that we were able to help!

Also, nice edit on the thread title

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top