Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 5:13:50 PM EDT
I picked up a pair of new BM carbines from a gunshop today.  One is a 16" with collapsible stock and A2 FH.  The other is a 14.5" with collapsible stock and Izzy compensator.

After getting them home, I noticed that the 16" had significant brass markings on the brass deflector.  The 14.5" had none.

Both barrels had some slight amount of powder fowling visible.

I am starting to wonder if the shop had fun with my rifles before I bought them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Post Number 1?!?  I have been gone for a while, but I didn't just burst my cherry on this one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I noticed the same thing on my Bushmeisters.

I asked the dealer, "Are all these rifles new?"

He said they were but that Bushmaster always fires "a few rounds" to safety test their rifles.

All the guts of these rifles appeared brand new.  If yours look perfect inside, I wouldn't worry.  Another test is that Bushmaster says their chrome bores aren't gleaming bright when new but rather a grey color and that they become shiny as they break in.  I have noticed this on my rifles; they get more shiny the more I shoot.  I own other chrome bore rifles that were shiny before I fired them- different process I guess?

But I suppose you could call Bushmaster and verify that serial no. xyyxxyz was built with a 16-inch HBAR, and that serial no. xxxyyyxx left the factory with a 20-inch barrel, etc.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I would be afraid, very afraid if I took delivery of a new AR that didn't have brass marks on the deflector. I can say with absolute, professional certainty that the more trigger time your new Bushy gets at the factory the happier you will be with it in the long run.

CJan_NH
QA Technician
SigArms Inc.
Exeter, NH

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

I am going to give them a proper clean and lube and go break them in.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#6]
My new bushmaster had no brass marks on the deflector.........................they started showing after 500 rounds or so...........................sorry but I don't think yours were brand new.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you break the seal or was it already broken. I don't know about bushmaster but when I got my New in the box with factory seal COLT 6920. I opened it to find the same several marks and each feed ramp was prity copperd as well. Maybe our rifles were above and beyond the others, and the test person could not help him self from the unusual profection of the better than all the others Iv tested feal.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I just gave the first one a thorough cleaning and lube.  The barrel interior appears fairly shiny, and there was a small amount of fouling powder fouling of the barrel and bolt carrier group.  

It couldn't have been fired too many times though, unless somebody cleaned it and fired it again.  When I get back from the range there has usually been a tremendous amount of power fouling in my other ARs.

There is an indoor range at the dealers shop.  Maybe they put a few rounds downrange, but I don't think it was too many.

My bigger concern now is whether or not Bushmaster shipped these with collapsible stocks and flash hiders.  But they both have bayonet lugs, so that would seem to say to me that they were shipped in No-Ban configuration.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody know what range Bushmaster serial numbers are in now?

My 16" is serial number 350xxx

My 14.5" is serial number 341xxx

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Each upper I have purchased from Bushmaster has had brass marks on the deflector
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]
If you got these from the Bullet Hole, I doubt that they would mess with you.   They do a lot of business, and those guys have there own weapons to shoot.  If you got it there then more than likely they are new.  If that's what they told you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I allways wonder the same thing. But if the weapon is in perfect condition with original box/papers, I don't worry. Some peapole buy a gun, fire one box of ammo, then trade it off a few months/years later, then a dealer sells it as new, I think it is definatly wrong to do this on the part of the dealer, but whatever. If it walks like a duck..................................
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
As a gunshop employee I am amazed at what is delivered to us, sealed  from distributors. I have seen parts literally fall off of new guns when taken out of the box. The last 6 "M4"  Bushmasters we got in were very inconsistent regarding the amount of brass scuffs on the deflector. All of them had unreal amounts of oil in the upper/b/bc. All of them had a white residue on the outside of the barrel that literally looked like salt stains. Cleaned off easily enough with G96 and gunscrubber, but very odd. And NO we do not shoot new AR's, or anything else, NEW is NEW. Enjoy your new rifles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a brand new Pre-Ban Bushmaster A2 24" NM HBAR from Bushmaster, and the chrome looked "grey" and NOT shiny. I thought they fuc*ed me over for the chrome lining, but after shooting it the chrome polished out (100rd) and its shiny. :)

My Vepr came from a dealer transfer (that bought it from RA) and the chrome was already shiny.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve bought several different ARs over the years and all but one have had brass marks on them and been somewhat dirty, most likely from test firing. My most recent purchase was a NIB Bushmaster M4A3. The rifle went from Bushmaster, to Davidson’s, to my dealer, to me. The rifle certainly had been shot; there were brass marks on the brass deflector, the chamber area was dirty and there was the green/blue residue up in the muzzle flash hider.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Some gunsmith test fires their client's AR with a tape put on the deflector. Thus, the brass mark will not be seen. This is a very simple way to protect their client's AR. If you don't see the brass mark from a new rifle, either you get a non test fired one, or you get one taken by a careful gunsmith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top