Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 2:38:32 PM EDT
I'm thinking of purchasing one of these HG.  Which is a better choice?  Help me choose please.I've been reading the forums and my mind is kind of set on the surefire.  I have read that the surefire has a rock solid fit and doesn't move.  Does the YHM have the same kind of rock solid fit?  Can I mount optics on these HG's?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of each and I would have to say the YHM is the best bang for the buck IMHO....
The Surefire is OK but the top rail does not match the Receiver the YHM works better for everything. Again IMHO. Yes you can mount a sight on it and it is solid
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
HTH www.ar15reviews.com

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I just received a YHM 2 piece HG and am impressed with the quality.  I will be even more impressed when I get my damn M4 HGs off and this thing installed.  Ordered from Brightflashlights.com over on the EE on Sunday, received it today, cant beat that for service.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Surefire M73  here and I went through the same thing you did. By the time you get the panels for the YHM your about at the same price as the Surefire. Mine are rock solid. The Surefire are slimmer than the YHM so it comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Which one is lighter?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I got my YHMs and am VERY impressed.  The TD vert grip even fits them now, very tightly on mine with no wiggle or play.

The Surefire unit is a very good piece but I am still unconvinced as to why it is $80 better.

--Josh
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the YHM 2 piece.
Picked mine up about a week ago. Easy install. Rock solid
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I own the 2 piece YHM rail set. I do not own the surefire. I have handled the surefire. I prefer the YHM. THe surefire bottom rail does not hold a Tango Down grip without wiggle, even when the flash is cleared out of the slots. The YHM is machined to perfection, you have to use a small file to remove flash material from the rail slots on the surefire. Also, the top rail on the surefire does not line up with the rail on your flattop upper, it is lower.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my YHM two-piece handguard in the mail today.

To be honest, I was not expecting anything great here, because it does not have the claw thingie like the RAS has to keep it secure...still, I thought I'd try one because I've been satisfied with all the YHM stuff i've got in the past, and some of the guys on the board here gave it thumbs up. Plus the price tag was quite reasonable.

Well, I will be dipped in shit...I put the handguard in and it is ROCK solid!

I thought the guys here were exagerating  about the tight fit, but all my expectations were met and exceeded...

In fact my TangoDown vertcal grip fits on so tight I don't think the lock levers are even needed...
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I  also purchased mine from BrightFlashlight,great communication and fast shipping.
Yes they are rock  solid,esspecially the top  handguard,rail  panels,grips and flashlight  fit great.

TG
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Just recieved YHM handguards from brightflashlites, looks great, easy to install.  My fobus verticle grip does not slide on.  Anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... My fobus verticle grip does not slide on.  Anyone else have this problem?

It's because the Fobus products are not to the M1913 spec.  Their rails are a bit smaller.  You'll find most Fobus products will be either VERY tight or won't fit at all on M1913 spec rails.

A bit of filing helps.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info, Forest.  Do you have a cheap, yet strong, alternative to the Fobus Grip?how
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=144040
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info, Forest.  Do you have a cheap, yet strong, alternative to the Fobus Grip?

Advanced Armament Corp's VFG isn't bad - its a thin clone of the KAC grip.

how about this one from brightflashlights

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=144040

I honestly thought about getting one of them, but the weight savings over the KAC that I had didn't justify the price.  I'd say go for it.

BTW BrightFlashlights also has the TDI Light mounts if you want to mount a light - I find them much better than the Fobus version (and the Fobus is fairly decent).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top