Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 4:13:14 AM EDT
I recently aquired a post ban  uppper which has a standard rifle barrel end on it with exception  of a groove that is cut about a 1/4 inch back from the tip of the barrel.
   I am geussing that the previous owner removed the press on one.
   i would like to replace the flash hider either  set screw type or a permanent mount has anyone seen this type of flash hider for sale .
Thanks
Jeff
Semper Fi
hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Just curious why a pin on or set screw?  A pin on in these post ban days is used to bring a sub 16" barrel up to legal length. I'm not sure how easy it would be to fit considering you already have one groove drilled.

And a set screw type is typically used to amuse your fellow shooters as your muzzle thingy flies downrange.

Seems that even with a groove you could still thread the barrel and put on a standard FH type.

Is there some local law?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

And a set screw type is typically used to amuse your fellow shooters as your muzzle thingy flies downrange.

LOL  I did that once with a FAL. Never did find the damn thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Really its all in the look, I don't like the way it looks with groove.
  Don't really care if it someone can see my muzzle flash.
  As far as screw or pin is because I was talking to a local gunsmith that refused to thread my  barrel and advised that I not try it because of several horror stories he has seen with some of the aftermarket thread kits available that guys have tried and messed their barrels uphug.gif.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
aah okay.  well you might want to consider another gunsmith for one thing.  I don't really see how you could screw up a barrel with a threading kit, even if you have a barrel whose bore wasn't drilled on center it would have to be a real piece of crap before you could get a bullet strike on your FS.  At any rate there are several decent gunsmiths that could do it for you, kurts custom has gotten good reviews in the past.  I guess if your groove is really deep there may be some concern there but there may be solutions for that as well.

I myself have threaded a FAL barrel, which i shot last weekend with no problems and an AK which i hope to shoot tomorrow, both done with kits i got from brownells.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]
There are gunsmiths and their machinists/gunsmiths.  Find a machinist/gunsmith.  Any machinist can cut proper threads on the end of a tube of steel.  Find somebody competent.

If your barrel is 16" or more, the pinning/setscrewing is not required.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Who do you all recommend to install a flash hider on a post ban barrel?  I saw a site that is a sponsor here and does flash hider installations but I can't remember who.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top