Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 2:59:56 PM EDT
loking to buy a can to use with M4 and commando. i need to beable to swap it easly between weapons, need locking system/flash hider long enough to bring 14.5" barrel to legal(i know Gemtech's will do that). i've started to narrow it down to 4 different suppressors:

SWR Specwar 2
Gemtech M4-96D
Knight's M4 QD
Surefire

is there any difference in there abilities to handle Full Auto Fire, Sound Reduction, life span, whatever else that can be compared and contrasted? is the military using knight's can because it's a better suppressor? and if so is it worth the extra cake?Feed back would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Read this:

.223 Suppressor Shootout

BTW, I chose the SRT Hurricane for my registered M16.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
First you cannot have a Surefire so its out.  They are made in Cali and cant sell to non govt or police dept.

Next KAC wont get a 14.5" to 16" so if thats needed its out.

Finally the size and weight of the cans relates to the level of sound suppression for the remaining 2.  Determine which is more important... suppression or weight.  No can go multiple magazines of continuous full auto without causing the bullets to destabilise due to heat and casue baffle strikes thus ruining your suppressor no matter if its made of unobtanium or not.

Id go with the M496D since its both lighter and less expensive and both use the same mount.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
First you cannot have a Surefire so its out.  They are made in Cali and cant sell to non govt or police dept.

Next KAC wont get a 14.5" to 16" so if thats needed its out.

Finally the size and weight of the cans relates to the level of sound suppression for the remaining 2.  Determine which is more important... suppression or weight.  No can go multiple magazines of continuous full auto without causing the bullets to destabilise due to heat and casue baffle strikes thus ruining your suppressor no matter if its made of unobtanium or not.

Id go with the M496D since its both lighter and less expensive and both use the same mount.

DevL is right.  Just get the GemTech M4-96D and the bilock mount.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I am guessing by his username and location that he IS LE or .gov already.......
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#5]
True.  

I still say get the Gemtech.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am guessing by his username and location that he IS LE or .gov already.......

thanks for the feedback, i'll get the Gemtech and make a post after i put it through a workout(and all the paperwork). actually it's a nickname i inherited  from my grandfather, it has no govment meaning. i should probably use a diff. username, that's a little misleading in this type of inviroment.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you even own a suppressor in Kommiefornia?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I personally use the Advanced Armament M4-2000 and love it.  

The M4-2000's uses a quick attach mount that also serves as a flash hider, similar to an A1 flash hider.  The suppressor will not bind on the QD mount like others will.  

The M4-2000 is also one of the quietest suppressors, producing 35DB of sound reduction.  

I have used this suppressor on both 16" uppers, and 11.5" upper during full auto fire.  I know for a fact that the suppressor will take 300 rounds of intermediate full auto fire with out any permanent ill effects.

Finally consider there life time warranty.  Give them a call at 770.985.3109, or go to www.advanced-armament.com.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Can you even own a suppressor in Kommiefornia?

i'm almost possitive you can't , but i'm not even gonna try . i have residence in PA. will buy it there thru my Corp. We're not enjoying the "Sunset" like the rest of you are.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I personally use the Advanced Armament M4-2000 and love it.  

The M4-2000's uses a quick attach mount that also serves as a flash hider, similar to an A1 flash hider.  The suppressor will not bind on the QD mount like others will.  

The M4-2000 is also one of the quietest suppressors, producing 35DB of sound reduction.  

I have used this suppressor on both 16" uppers, and 11.5" upper during full auto fire.  I know for a fact that the suppressor will take 300 rounds of intermediate full auto fire with out any permanent ill effects.

Finally consider there life time warranty.  Give them a call at 770.985.3109, or go to www.advanced-armament.com.

the Quick attach mount/flash hider would not bring me to 16" when perm. attached to 14.5" barrel. that would limit me a little on the number of different weapons i could use it with or on which rifles i could use the short barrels. But that might be a small compromise in exchange for a lifetime warrenty. Does anyone know what Gemtech's Warrenty is?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd say for all out noise reduction the SWR or Ops Inc.   A good up and comer is Jet Suppressors (www.jetsuppressors.com).  I have one of their can on my .308 and it is tha cats ass.  It is made out of titanium, so it weighs 1/2 of what most cans weigh.  And it cost me $850.  Other manufacturers titanium cans cost over $1000.  Smaller calibers are less - but all their cans are made of titanium.  Customer service is also a big plus.  Every time I called them I talked to Mike Brown, the owner and builder of my suppressor.  My .308 can gets a 37 dB noise reduction.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]

the Quick attach mount/flash hider would not bring me to 16" when perm. attached to 14.5" barrel.

i've been shopping as well, AAC has told me that their QD hider will bring a 14.5" out to 16". Where'd you hear it wouldn't?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

the Quick attach mount/flash hider would not bring me to 16" when perm. attached to 14.5" barrel.

i've been shopping as well, AAC has told me that their QD hider will bring a 14.5" out to 16". Where'd you hear it wouldn't?

there web site http://www.advanced-armament.com/faq/fm42k.asp#q1
FAQ-
View M4-2000

M4-2000 Frequently Asked Questions

2. Will permanently attaching an M4-2000 flash hider to a 14 1/2” barrel put the overall length over 16 inches?
No.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#14]
anyone heard of smith enterprise's Ti supp?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I heard they were working on a suppressor for the M14. The only Ti suppressor I know of is the Quiksilver for a 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
These supposedly attach directly to the vortex G6. Don't have much info on the supp though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Question is will there be any problem putting the Gemtech on a 10.5" barrell. i've noticed some suppressors cover and overlap the QD mount(the AAC is 7" and only adds 5" of overall lenght to the weapon. by my math this would not fit on a 10.5" barrell).
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Question is will there be any problem putting the Gemtech on a 10.5" barrell. i've noticed some suppressors cover and overlap the QD mount(the AAC is 7" and only adds 5" of overall lenght to the weapon. by my math this would not fit on a 10.5" barrell).

I think the Gem-Tech warranty only covers their suppressors when used on 11.5" barrels and up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard they were working on a suppressor for the M14. The only Ti suppressor I know of is the Quiksilver for a 5.56.

jet suppressor makes a .223 can

www.jetsuppressors.com

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]
i highly recommend checking with SRT.    He has a quick disconnect .224 can that is highly rated, and from what i have seen inside his threaded .224 can is very impressive.    I haven't shot mine yet (transfer not complete, haven't made it to my dealer's place to test it yet)    and he was also top three rated/ tied for best .223 suppressor currently made.

www.srtarms.com

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#21]
OK guys, I'm totally confused!!!  The M4 has a 14.5" bbl and the Commando has an 11.5" bbl. Both are select fire weapons which, as I understand the law, require Form 4's. I thought that you could put a can on Class III weapons without any additional paperwork/tax stamps. Why are we worried about making it a "legal" 16" w/apermanently attatched muzzle device when, as I understand it, they are perfectly legal as is? Is this another jacked up Kali deal? What am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
OK guys, I'm totally confused!!!  The M4 has a 14.5" bbl and the Commando has an 11.5" bbl. Both are select fire weapons which, as I understand the law, require Form 4's. I thought that you could put a can on Class III weapons without any additional paperwork/tax stamps. Why are we worried about making it a "legal" 16" w/apermanently attatched muzzle device when, as I understand it, they are perfectly legal as is? Is this another jacked up Kali deal? What am I missing?

Suppressors are regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act the same as machine guns are.  Each one requires a $200 transfer tax and ATF approval (which is granted when the proper criteria has been met).  Machine guns are legally allowed to have shorter than 16" barrels, but to put such a barrel on a non-machine gun would constitute the making of an SBR (short barreled rifle), and would also require a $200 tax and ATF approval.  

For more information on NFA related subjects, see this link:

NFA FAQ
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#23]
C_C:  So are you saying that the machine guns are ok with the short bbls until you add a sound supressor to it? So  they need to have 16" bbls on them to make them legal for use w/a can? And you would need two tax stamps, one for the Auto and one for the sound suppressor?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
C_C:  So are you saying that the machine guns are ok with the short bbls until you add a sound supressor to it? So  they need to have 16" bbls on them to make them legal for use w/a can? And you would need two tax stamps, one for the Auto and one for the sound suppressor?

Machine guns can have whatever length barrel you want on them, suppressor or no suppressor.  Adding a suppressor would require another tax stamp though, one for the machine gun, and one for the suppressor.  The same goes for suppressing an SBR.  One tax stamp for the SBR, and one for the suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#25]
For full auto M16 lower, you need a $200 tax stamp, and form 4.  You can use any length barrel.  It no longer falls under the rules for title1. (ie "regular" guns)  Its not a rifle any longer, its a machine gun.  Think of them as two different things.  If you want to use a suppressor on a machine gun, you have to buy the suppressor by either making it yourself (form1) or buy having it transferred to you from a dealer with a form4.  Either method requires the $200 stamp.  Same procedure as getting a machine gun.  Form3s are used for interstate dealer to dealer transfers.  
 Now you've paid for a stamp and approved form 4 for the machine gun, and again for a suppressor.  You can use whatever length barrel you want with or without the suppressor.  Period.  The world is your oyster at this point.  
  The stuff about 16" barrels is in regards to short barrel rifles.  If the permanent fixed length of your barrel is less that 16" its considered a short barrel rifle.  This is for a standard title 1 semi auto rifle.  If you have a 14.5" M4 barrel, you need to permanently attach a flash suppresor, brake, suppressor mount, or fake suppressor to make it 16" long or longer.  Now if you want to make a semi auto commando or M4 and not have a device permanently attached because you want to thread a can or change muzzle devices it has to be registered as a short barrel rifle.  If you make it yourself, (and with ARs I imagine thats 95% of the time) you have to do a form1 and pay the $200 stamp.  You have to have approval before you build the gun, or buy the parts.  Once you've built an SBR you can use pretty much any length barrel you want and not have to permanently attach anything.  
 Now with a suppressor and a NON machine gun, you can use a suppressor no problem.  You just have to observe the rules pretaining to barrel length.  Thats it.  If you want a M4 14.5" you need to have a quick detach mount permanently attached to make the barrel 16" minimum.  If you've registered your gun as a SBR, your in the same position as the MG in regards to barrel length.  Just say less than 16" and you can use a real threaded M4 barrel or a commando, whatever.  And you can use the can on any of these.  

All that make sense?  I'm sure you knew most of it, but hopefully that lays it out.  Legal MG = any length barrel you want + any suppressor you want.  Legal semi SBR = any length barrel you want + any suppressor you want to get.  Regular off the shelf semi auto = MUST have perm 16" length barrel which can be 16"+ device or shorter than >16" + some permanent muzzle device to make 16" + any suppressor you want.  I think you were getting the semi rules and MG rules (or lack there of) confused.  Hope this tortured explanation helps.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I like CC's explanation better.  Sounds like you just want a can to use on a 14.5" M4 barrel?  So you need a bilock and a M4-96D.  Go that way.  I've shot M4Ms SRT hurricane, and I can't see how its possible to make a suppressor any quieter.  Fantastic can.  Thats the limit of my experience, except for QS's .30 cal can on an AR15.  He has a 14.5" with a perm attached bilock.  Its a good way to go.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#27]
How does a .30 caliber can sound on a .223?  

I'm looking into an SRT Shadow .30, and plan to use it mostly on an H&K SR-9 TC,

but if I have 5/8 X 24 threads put on my AR,  then the suppressor will fit that as well.  

If the .30 caliber can lets too much sound leak out though... it's not worth getting a new barrel.

Coolly enough,  the 6.8 Rem often comes with a 5/8 X 24 barrel thread - just perfect for a .30 cal suppressor.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I used a .338 Jet can on my .308 for a weekend.  I shot without hearing protection.  It wasn't as quiet as my .308 Jet suppressor though.  I don't know how many dB of noise reduction you lose by doing it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:30:14 AM EDT
[#29]

www.jetsuppressors.com

Um, yes.  Nice cans...!

Anyone have a link to a review of their products?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top