Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 7:28:58 PM EDT
Looking at rebuilding a carbine length, 16" upper and was curious if anyone has had experiences/feedback about utilizing the PRI fat boy gas tube. Does it decrease the pressure exerted on the bolt/system because of the larger diameter?? How does it work?? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one on a Bushmaster 14.5 gun. It worked fantastic with the M193 ammo and I could feel a difference in how the gun recoiled.

I ran out of that ammo supply and stopped in the local Wal Mart and grabbed some Remington yellow box ammo and the action wouldn't even open.

So my experience was fantastic with mil spec ammo and worthless with off the shelf stuff. I can't say if every PRI tube will run the same way but at least you know something to look for going into the project.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:39:13 AM EDT
[#2]
They are for under 14.5" barrels.  If you dont have a problem with high pressures causing malfunctions in your 14.5" to 16" barrel STAY AWAY!  I have had simillar experience with a Colt 14.5" not working with commercial SAAMI pressure ammo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I ran a colt 14.5" and PRI fatboy with no problems at all, with M193, Walmart Winchester 55gr white box, or Black Hills blue box 50gr.  

I was using a normal "carbine" buffer, not the heavier types.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I've run everything through my 14.5" bushy HBAR with FAT BOY: wimpy reloads, super hot reloads wolf, m193, portugese, etc. It's worked 100%.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 16" carbine and i've thought about the fat boy gas tube...  but the more i fire my gun and the more i find it completely reliablie the more i just want to keep it the way it is...

i'm running an h-buffer with a wolff x-tra power extractor spring...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I was wondering the exact same thing, glad I found this thread.  Usually I run SS109 projectiles with 24.2 grs of VARGET.  This should cycle well shouldn't it?  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top