Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 9:24:57 PM EDT
This has most likely been asked before but the search came up with zero hits. As to the ZM Weapons uppers, is Yankee Hill making them or does ZM make them in house? Also, if anyone out there has pictures of their ZM's or any pics of them at different angles I would like to see them. Many thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of ZM's stuff is custom made for the design...

Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT a gas piston system (a GOOD thing), and is the closest to the 'true AR system' you can get while providing for a folding stock.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You've been to their website, right?

I haven't ever heard of YHM having anything to do with ZM, I thought they were made in house, although I may be misstaken.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I did not find any info on the subject from their website. My local ClassII FFL said he heard YH were involved with ZM in the fashion of making parts or making the uppers. I thought someone here may know for sure. As to the ZM being close to the "true AR system", I did not know that. Many thanks for that piece of info. I currently have a Bushmaster lower ordered and I want to sit on it until the beginning of the year (05) to research the type of upper system I will go with. Tossup now is:

ZM
MRP
Bushamster M4

I have a pool of around $1,200 to use on this new project (excluding the price paid for the lower).
I figured on a rail system if I went with the Bushy upper (KAC RAS). MRP has on integrated and the ZM from what I know can not mount a rail system. There is just something about the ZM design that I find cool and much different than other AR types out there.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Alan Zitta designed some kind of quad rail for his rifle, although I've never seen it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As to the ZM Weapons uppers, is Yankee Hill making them or does ZM make them in house? Also, if anyone out there has pictures of their ZM's or any pics of them at different angles I would like to see them. Many thanks.

This is actually a very good question.
This is what I can tell you. I know that ZM uses the YHM rear sight, I know that they use the Phantom FH now, and at one time I remember seeing a picture on YHMs sight of an AR with a ZM folding stock.  So at best I could guess that ZM does get some parts made or orders some parts for the ZM from YHM. Whether they make the receivers, stocks, gasblocks etc, I have know idea, but I do know whoever makes them does a VERY good job.  I also think YHM makes very nice products as well.

Here is the stock LR300ML notice the rear sight and phantom.

Here it is with an ACE Boom tube SMG (this saves a lot of wieght).

Here are the internals.

And the spring over the barrel (the railed gasblock adaptor to me resembles YHM workmanship also).

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ZM
MRP
Bushamster M4

I have a pool of around $1,200 to use on this new project ....

You have that kind of money for the project nd you're even hesitating?

MRP All the way!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a link to an exisitng thread about the the ZM.
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=131&t=268219

Also here are old pics of mine.
I recently moved the Aimpoint in front of the rear sight. Basically switched them.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I dont come by this kind of money too often. I've been saving for some time now and it's burning a hole in my pocket. I have/had a bad habit of spending $$$ on a system without researching it and then something better was already out there.  I'm just doing my homework before I buy this time. Many thanks for the pictures and info guys. Keep it rollin in....
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Pick up  a copy of this month's SWAT.  Pat Rogers did a nice review on the MRP.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#10]
YHM wasn't as well known back in the days as it is today, on their old site they used to state they made stuff for ZM.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Pick up  a copy of this month's SWAT.  Pat Rogers did a nice review on the MRP.

I agree with Forest, check out the MRP. I've look at ZM for quite awhile and have not seen enough worth jumping at. Folding stocks really don't work that well at least for me. YMMV. Today, I would look at the assortment of very good stocks such as VLTOR, LMT/Crane, or Magpul.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The MRP does look great ans I am leaning towards it. My friend however is in love with the ZM and the way the stock works. Another model he is looking at is the new H&K M4 due to arrive soon. I'm not sure about it though. Many thanks for all the info guys. MRP is at the top of the list right now. Stil undecided at this time. I will pick up a copy of SWAT and check out that review. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Ridge - that's also a YHM "Triple Rail" covering your gas block...  

That's how I first heard about YHM, from the ZM website... back when YHM didn't even offer products for sale except through Bushmaster and ZM weapons...  I'm SOOOO glad they went "solo".
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#14]
This video demonstrates the ultra-reliable ZM weapons system:  There are lots of cool vids - but first, watch the one in the right hand column labelled "LR 300"

ZM Weapons Military Demo

I believe this demonstration was for the Navy Special Warfare people.  FYI, using full-power American made ammo, the LR300 is extremely reliable, accurate, and durable.  It's comparable in quality to anything out there.

Check out the writeup on this same website --- you'll have to look for it.  Great writeup.  Raving review of the LR 300 system.

ZM is pretty much a boutique shop, building small quantities of high-end equipment for the discriminating buyer.

Not a bad choice, either way.  And, like the MRP - not necessarily a bad value for the money.  It all depends on what you want, and what level of quality you're willing to pay for.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Hitman,

How do you like that folding stock? I know they ask extra for it, but I haven't had any upclose experience with it. I have seen a ZM Weapons LR300SRF upclose, and it honestly wasn't as impressive as I imagined. It is definetly not a heavy rifle. What I remember about the rifle is the stock was extremely tight fitting. It was a PITA to unfold it. Other than that I don't remember much about it. How do you like it compared to standard CAR15's?

Sammy
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#16]
My ZM was heavy due to its excellent but very heavy folding stock, unlke the Para FAL, FNC and Galil stock, it's made of steel with a rough sandpaper like surface.  Their LOP adjustable stock is smooth, probably even heavier.
I sold mine because I just didn't shoot it much, also because it's a non standard AR15.  If anything should happen and I get handed a regular AR15, I want to be at once comfortable and at home with it, with all standard AR parts.  I sold it to a fellow shooter that shoots it and enjoys it much more than I did.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#17]
You want the adjustable folding stock.  It's SUPER high quality, very light, and really rugged.  And there is absolutely no problem unfolding it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ridge - that's also a YHM "Triple Rail" covering your gas block...  

Well it's actually proprietary to the ZM block cuz it bolts onto it, but it's definately "Triple Rail-esk"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You want the adjustable folding stock.  It's SUPER high quality, very light, and really rugged.  And there is absolutely no problem unfolding it.

Sammy - I would agree with nark. The stock is not a pain to unfold. You can actually give it a good slap and it will lock in the open position easy. If you get the ZM it would definately be worth it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#20]
ZM would be nice to add to a collection, but would not be my choice for a primary weapon.  Too exotic.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I was refering to the standard folding stock, not the multiple position folding one. Both the guy at the gunshop and I were having a hard time closing it. It really was that tight.

Thanx Hitman and nark.

Sammy
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I spoke with them last week and around December their web site should be updated with the updated upper. Not alot of detail but they will be cheaper in price and will have different rail options on the front end. Also, the sight sytems will be options to. Fixed and flip ups.

Hopefully this helps some!

Mark
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#23]
With this updated upper, do you think they corrected the heat isues?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never shot one, I would say unless you have rails and covers, you better have a vertical grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top