Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 12:31:21 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with the Gemtech Bi-Lock Flash suppressor/Mount?  If so, how well does it work suppressing flash, in comparison to A2, Phantom, and Vortex?

Is this product the only choice for a sound surpressor mount that also acts as a flash hider, and can be perma-mounted to a 14.5" barrel to extend the overall barrel length to 16"+?

Thanks,

-Jim
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Better than A2, not like a Phantom or Vortex. Other suppressor manufacturers sell their own proprietary versions.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply, Comabt_Jack.  I'm quite new to this, so please bear with me.

Do sound surpressors surpress flash, if mounted on a mount that isn't a flash hider?

Or would the mount have to be a flash hider in order for both sound+flash to be surpressed?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Sound suppressors are extremely effective flash suppressors. Thread or bi-lock mounted doesnt matter. Are you familiar with the process for aquiring NFA items?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Better than A2, not like a Phantom or Vortex. Other suppressor manufacturers sell their own proprietary versions.

***What other suppressor manufacturers sell a flash hider-type suppressor mount that brings the 14.5" M4 upper to 16" legal length when permanently installed?

Thanks,

Kel
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The only one I'm aware of that MIGHT do it is the AAC mount..but I don't know for sure.  

Side note- I blind-pinned a Bi-lock on one of my 14.5 barrels...those fucking things are harder than the hammers of hell.  I ruined two mill bits boring a hole in the Bi-lock so I could pin it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
AAC won't do it.  Comes up a wee bit short.  I think the bi-lok is the only one that will bring it out to 16.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do sound surpressors surpress flash, if mounted on a mount that isn't a flash hider?
Or would the mount have to be a flash hider in order for both sound+flash to be surpressed?

***The mount would NOT have to be a FH type to suppress flash.  A plain old threadmount can with no FH underneath (as well as ones using other attachment methods) will often work f-a-r better than any flash hider would.

However, I always used to say "the WORST silencer would be better than the best flash hider" - but, it's always good to apply some real-world knowlege to those cliches!  I stood very corrected, but was quite suprised, to hear the results of the USMC M40A3 Silencer Trials...  I figured all of the vendors would pass with flying colors the night photography / visual signature part of the tests, a no-brainer, right?

But it was reported that at least one brand that really enhanced the flash.  Weird.   The comment I remember in the debrief was "after getting good flash hiding results from the others we tested, one made us check and see (after taking measurements) if we indeed had the can on at all"

That said, standard test of this is low-light phots against an inch-square grid, and usually - nay almost always- a suppressor will show better than a standard FH.

Kel
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Kel, I don't know about other manufacturers lengths, just that they sell a similar product.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Similar except in one way - the necessary length which is a qualifying factor for JimGA's decision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top