Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 10:30:29 PM EDT
I'm considering a Harris Bipod.  The barrell is a DPMS 20" Varmit barrell and DPMS free-float tube.  Looking through several catalogs, I can't find an adapter in which to mount to my rifle.  Does anyone know which adapter I need to use?   Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#4]
The Harris adapter #5 is for mounting on plastic handguard or free float tube with a big wide bearing surface on the back of the stud.  Impactguns.com (good folks!) have it in stock for $11.95

www.impactguns.com/store/harris_bipods.html

I'm using that setup on an AR10 with standard plastic handguards for both a shorty benchrest Harris as well as their tall bipod.  Works well without stripping out the handguard.

sorry about the multiple posts....my connection is so slow today it's literally minutes between clicking a button and something actually happening
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The Harris adapter #5 is for mouting on plastic handguard or free float with a big wide bearing surface on the back of the stud.  impactguns.com (good folks!) have it in stock for $11.95

harris_5.html

I'm using that setup on an AR10 with standard plastic handguards for both a shorty benchrest Harris as well as their tall bipod.  Works well without stripping out the handguard.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The Harris adapter #5 is for mouting on plastic handguard or free float with a big wide bearing surface on the back of the stud.  impactguns.com (good folks!) have it in stock for $11.95

harris_5.html

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
harris_5.html

A triple. I used the Harris adapter a long time ago, it was better than nothing in most cases. You are stuck with any play in the standard handguards you use. I personally found it to unstable for accurate magnified scope usage. Barricade rested was just as good on the standard handguard and prone just too unstable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I used a Harris #5 on one rifle and an uncle mikes threaded stud with a nut with washer and loctite on the other end and it works just as well.  I have drilled holes and used hex head bolts, washers and nuts to fix small sections of rail to the ff tube on both rifles and it works great since I am not using the rails for optics, just light and vertical grip in the case of my 16" upper.  The use of a washer is key.  I use my rifles for all types of training and this setup has proved durable.

Edited to add my ff tubes are aluminum.  I would not recommend the stud and nut option for plastic handguards, definitely go with the Harris #5 in that case.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]
What is the difference between the Harris BRM and BRM-S?  Does the S version just let you swivel on the bipod?  Does the #5 adapter also allow you to swivel?

I just purchased a LE6920, and it should ship today, and I am wonder what is the best way to secure the bipod to the Firearm?  Should I go with a ARMS SIR system, buy the Harris adapter, and a plain BRM, or is the BRM and 5 good enough?  Definately the latter is about $500 cheaper!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top