Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 2:26:52 PM EDT
For optics, does the LMT/Crane collapsible provide a better cheekweld?  This question is related to SPR clone and Eotech.  I'm a big A1 stock fan but thinking of trying an LMT/Crane on a lower. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Wes,

I'm just curious, how did the Colt ACR stock look like?  Do you have any pics?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wes,

I'm just curious, how did the Colt ACR stock look like?  Do you have any pics?

I hope these help...

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
LMT and VLTOR are significantly inferior to the A1 and A2 stocks as your cheek rests on a cold or hot round metal tube and not the rear portion of the stock when using the stock in an other than closed or nearly closed position.  The cheek weld is largely useless on a SPR type rig where you shoot prone and have the stock extended.  The Magpul stock is similar to the A1 and A2 type cheek welds with its consistant cheek weld and is vastly superior when using a propper cheek weld.

On another note: why would you use an EOtech on an SPR instead of a magnified optic like it was meant to be used with?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I switch my uppers around.  I have a dedicated SPR lower with an A1 buttstock.  The Crane/LMT stock lower would double with the SPR and also an upper with an Eotech.  I wanted to know with regards to both, not that the "headsup" of an Eotech matters that much.

Quoted:
LMT and VLTOR are significantly inferior to the A1 and A2 stocks as your cheek rests on a cold or hot round metal tube and not the rear portion of the stock when using the stock in an other than closed or nearly closed position.  The cheek weld is largely useless on a SPR type rig where you shoot prone and have the stock extended.  The Magpul stock is similar to the A1 and A2 type cheek welds with its consistant cheek weld and is vastly superior when using a propper cheek weld.

On another note: why would you use an EOtech on an SPR instead of a magnified optic like it was meant to be used with?

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Lordstoner,

Thanks for the cool pics of the ACR stock!

DevL,

Regarding the cheekweld on the Vltor, it depends on how far out you extend the stock.  Short people like me run the stock fully collapsed when doing CQB and may extended it to the first and second position at most.  In my case my cheekweld is always on the stock...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:08:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I can tell by your post that you have never shouldered an LMT/Crane equipped weapon!

Your entire cheek rests on the plastic buttstock (not the tube) in ALL 5 positions.

The cheek weld of the LMT/Crane is superior to the A1 or A2.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the CRANE/LMT stocks on my SPR and AR10T.No problems shooting prone, very comfortable.(even with a mouth full of braces)
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Your entire cheek rests on the plastic buttstock (not the tube) in ALL 5 positions.

+1
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Don't forget that the Vltor rifle stock also fits (with multiply adjustments) the carbine buffer tube. This is a great opportunity for those that use one lower with multiple upper. The best part is it only take seconds to change and adjust.

I totally agree with Wes and Jimbo, regarding the LMT cheekweld.

ls
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I assumed the LMT would be identical to the VLTOR which I have tried several of.  Is this not the case?  I end up with my cheek in the tube with the VLTOR and not on the stock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I much prefer the LMT cheekweld on my Varminter as well as on the A3 ACOG equipped Dissipator over the A2 stock or the standard CAR stock that's now on my 14.5" ACOG A2.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#14]

I can tell by your post that you have never shouldered an LMT/Crane equipped weapon!

If you shoot the way the .mil teaches, with the tip of your nose gently touching the charging handle, I just don't see how this could be true of any collapsible stock except for the mag-pull variant.

If you relocate your head to keep it on the stock in each position I could see that being true but not if you shoot the way the .mil teaches. Keeping your head on the stock would also affect eye relief with some scopes in the more extended positions.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I assumed the LMT would be identical to the VLTOR which I have tried several of.  Is this not the case?  I end up with my cheek in the tube with the VLTOR and not on the stock.

I several of both (LMT & VLTOR) and both work great. On certain weapons, I prefer the LMT/Crane. One is going to be on my AR10 shortly. I'm not as big as Wes, I'm only 5'9", my cheek ends up on the stock with both.

ETA: I have not tried the Magpul. I guess I just say yet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top