Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 10:25:16 AM EDT
Is the only difference between a superlight and an M4 contour is that the superlights entire forward portion is the same diameter as the small diameter inside the M203 cut on the M4?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the 'Superlight barrel' is basically the old A1 diameter.  Also the regular M4 barrel is only 14.5 although they do make a 16 inch version.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah i think so i have both but not at them right now but i know that it is skinny muzzle to sight base then from there it tapers down again all the way to the nut
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
So, to clarify.  When machining the M203 cut on an m4 barrrel, if they did the whole forward portion that same diameter, it would end up being a superlite?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If i understand it correctly, yes.  But I'm no expert.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
From the Bushmaster website:

"Diameter tapers from .670 inches at the chamber end to .600, then steps up to .625 at the sight base, and tapers to .570 from the sight base to the muzzle - similar to the original Vietnam era A1 barrel profile."

I believe the M4 barrel is a little thicker than 0.600 under the handguards, so just reducing from the FSB forward wouldn't make an M4 barrel identical to the superlight.  Pics attached for visual reference.

Edited to add:  Silly me, I have a Bushy M4 barrel in my safe, so I measured it under the handguards:  0.640" & the M4 cut measures out at 0.610".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top