Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 10:25:28 AM EDT
....just picked up a new Colt 6530 and would like to install a multi position stock. Any tricks to be aware of?

All input is appreciated. Thanks.

Chuck

Edited 10-17-04
After the cautions I think I'll take it to a Smith. Thanks for all the input
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody here memorizes colt model numbers. What kind of stock does your rifle have on it currently?

If it's an A2, you'll need to replace pretty much everything rear of the receiver to go to a telestock.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The existing Stock is a standard A2 and I purchased a 6 position collaspsible stock with the spring and guide.

...just looking for tips on disassembly and installation. Thanks.

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
#1 - mind your take down detent and spring. They will fly on you. Also take care to not kink or bind the spring with the backplate when you slide it down against the back of the lower.

r/s

Dan
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll want a telestock wrench. Lots of people try to screw the castle nut on hand tight, but it never works out..
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Remove the A2 stock shell SLOWLY to avoid losing the takedown detent spring.  Always keep track of it while you work on the lower.  It's a really small part and can easily fall out and get misplaced.

Cup your hand over the opening of the lower receiver and SLOWLY unscrew the receiver extention.  You may want to wear your shooting glasses at this point.  The buffer detent and spring will definitely shoot out if you aren't being careful.  I still have a spring floating around my living room somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
same warning from me about the detent spring.  It's very easy to kink it with the plate on the telestock.  
Best thing to do is back the castle nut all the way back then slide on the retainer plate then screw it into the receiver.  When you get to the point where the buffer tube (receiver extention) is a couple of turns away from the hole, add the buffer retainer pin and spring holding it down will you screw the buffer tube in enough to hold the pin from flying out.  They aren't like an A2 tube where you just screw them all the way in.  You have to screw it in to the point of holding the pin in and allowing the key in the retainer plate to line up with the hole for it in the receiver.  Next slip the detent spring in and slowly compress it with the retaining plate and hold it down tight while you tighten the castle nut by hand.  At that point you'll want to use the tele stock wrench to tighten it the rest of the way.

That's about all there is to it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]
That recoil buffer detent can be a mother to find, definately cup the hand over the rear of the receiver when you unscrew that big tube.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top