Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 12:12:16 PM EDT
An ARFCOM member is sending his FUBAR'd Bushy barrel to see if I can remove a FSB with a stuck pin and while formulating my plan of attack on this I had one of those epiphany things, I think.

Of those of you who had trouble removing FSB pins, how many of you were able to remove one and had trouble with the second?

I have a thought stuck in my head and I think I may have an answer, or maybe not.  If you remove one of the pins completely and then attack the second, fully inserted pin, the FSB may twist slightly on you and essentially lock the last pin in place.

Here's why I think that:  Every barrel I do, I start both pins moving with heavy hits before I remove either.  I have never had any problems removing these pins and have always wondered why.  Is this the answer or is this .  If so, feel free to raise the .

Any experience for or against my theory is welcome.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Every barrel I do, I start both pins moving with heavy hits before I remove either.  

I've always done the same and have never had problems removing an FSB... you mean I've actually been doing something right all this time??? Yippee!  

Mongo, this thread needs to be tacked... just think of all the problems it will save you...

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always punched one at a time and never had any problems. If the slot on the barrel was bigger than the actual pin going through it I could see where it might twist a bit though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
whether its pins or bolts, guns or cars.  Its all always a good idea to get them all started evenly....  Otherwise things can get out of wack and cause problems....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Someday Duffy and I are going to invite you here to the People's Republik, secretely get you drunk, then photograph you Dremelling and destroying a precious, innocent and perfectly good FSB.   It's fun!  Didn't you break windows as a kid?  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Someday Duffy and I are going to invite you here to the People's Republik, secretely get you drunk, then photograph you Dremelling and destroying a precious, innocent and perfectly good FSB.   It's fun!  Didn't you break windows as a kid?  

First, you better get me drunk before you try to get me into the PRK, cause otherwise I'm going kicking and screaming, biting and gouging.  Second, I love breaking stuff, I do it all the time, but when it hits my bottom line (I made a meager attempt at an AR upper building business that is dying a slow and painful death), I try to save each part, as each part is money, potentially.  Third, while you may get the Dremel in my hand, I won't do it!!  You'll have to move my hands for me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have always punched one at a time getting them out.  The secret I have found is to clamp your barrel blocks as close to the front sight base as possible.  It keeps the barrel from flexing and acting like a spring when you are trying to get those tight pins out.  When I put them back I slide both in and evenly tap them both into place.

IDHunt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top