Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 8:52:21 PM EDT
I seem to recal having heard/read that cast receivers for the AR were crap and/or potentially hazardous. Any comments?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#1]
They are weaker...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
They are more likely to crack under pressure (literally) but I've never seen or heard of it actually happening.  The lower doesn't get put under that much stress unless you're using it to buttstroke people and/or jumping out of planes with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input, guys. I would never own one, but a buddy of mine just bought an AR w/ a cast receiver which I thought was a very bad move. I just didn't know if they were so bad that he could expect a catastrophic failure...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen rifles built on cast lowers that are over twenty-years-old and still going strong.  These are regularly used rifles - not safe queens.  For typical use, I don't see a problem with them.  That said, when forged lowers are available for only eighty bucks - there's really no reason to buy anything else.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 4 ARs. 3 with forged receivers and 1 that is cast.  The cast one is a DPMS and I have an OLY 9mm upper on it that is fired several times a week. It is a range gun and has held up well with me banging it around. No ill effect for the past 2 years. That being said for heavy duty application I would trust the forge receiver more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with what some have said here.... the cast receivers are less durable in the long run vs. forged receivers, however thats not to say a cast receiver isn't any good or prone to catstrophic failures.  
I personally have a preference for forged receivers and only use 7075 T6 forgings for SNS MAX-15 receivers.

~Devin~

SNS Industries, Inc.
Sno., Wa.

Mfg. of quality AR15's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top