Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 6:01:15 PM EDT
I mentioned this idea in another thread. Does one exist? How much do they cost and where do they come from?

I just like the idea of a really strong barrel good for tens of thousands of rounds?

Also, does anyone know why there don't seem to be any TiN-lined barrels, yet TiN is being used in bolts, carriers, and other wear-prone components?

Thanks,

OMETZ
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Pac-nor barrels are available in polygonal rifling, you could bet one and have it turned to fit an AR15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
For  a Pac-Nor barrel for your AR, Check with, John Noveke at JN Rifleworks.
I was directed to him by Pac-Nor Barrels for a custom barrel at the time (20Tact). He used to work for them and now has his own shop. the quality of his work is fantastic!!
Here is the link to his site
John Noveske Rifleworks

Stuart
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about TiN lining barrels, but they have tried it in my home industry of offroad racing on high wear parts like shock shafts. While it initially appeared promising, it also had issues with impact and chipping beyond what conventional chrome plated shock shafts did. It probably had a little more to do with technology limitations in the actual plating process, and probably will be licked real soon. I think the extreme velocity of bullets would tear it up much the same as rock impacts tore up the shock shafts. Personally, I'd like to see a titanium alloy used for the barrel exclusively. 6al4v Ti alloy is 25% stronger than 4150 chromoly at half the weight.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't want a barrel 'lined' with anything in an accurate rifle...

If you're going to spend extra money on a 'special' barrel, you might as well go to KRIEGER and get a good single-point rifled stainless barrel...

They make the best AR barrels available, PERIOD...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]
TiN can rust, I've been told
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Titanium cannot be rifled as galling occurs. However, a steel liner can be used in the bore to remove that worry.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:11:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You don't want a barrel 'lined' with anything in an accurate rifle...

If you're going to spend extra money on a 'special' barrel, you might as well go to KRIEGER and get a good single-point rifled stainless barrel...

They make the best AR barrels available, PERIOD...

Then why does the FN SPR have a chrome lined bore and shoot .5 MOA?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just like the idea of a really strong barrel good for tens of thousands of rounds?

And what's wrong with a chrome lined 4150 steel barrel?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#9]
  I think the first generation of the FN SPR rifle used a modified chrome lined M240 barrel. I think there were some issues with the barrel as the current ones are not lined, as far as what I have read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top