Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 5:05:24 AM EDT
was wondering if a regular rifle lenght railed free float tube would work on my bull barrel?

if not who makes a rail system that would work on my barrel without having to cut or grind down anything?

what i have is a jt dist. varmit upper with a 20" ss bull barrel with the regular round ff tube

thanks for any suggestions and help
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Probably... Most copmpanies who sell bull barrels sell them with FF tubes already. If yours doesnt come with one I am pretty sure you could get one.

well i have a free float tube already on the barrel

let me try again and be more clear about what im trying to accomplish

i want to put a railed free float system on my bull barrel like a larue,troy or knights rail system.
it doesnt have to be from these specific companies but anything similar is what i need.

sorta like a spr or sam-r set up but with a bull barrel.

i dont like the look that the plain tube has, or im tired of the way it looks and wann change it up a bit.

thanks for the reply and for lookin though
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The only place I forsee you possibly running into problems is around the front gas tube support (I don't know what it's called on a Bull barrel usually isn't a FSB).  Some of the ones I have seen are fairly chunky.  You might want to measure the diameter on yours just to make sure it won't interfere w/ the FF HG.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind this is a custom built FF tube, but I have something like what you are describing.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The only place I forsee you possibly running into problems is around the front gas tube support (I don't know what it's called on a Bull barrel usually isn't a FSB).  Some of the ones I have seen are fairly chunky.  You might want to measure the diameter on yours just to make sure it won't interfere w/ the FF HG.  

well i think that since the upper is already rifle lenght, the "gas block" would not be in the way.
my main concern is the barrel nut that usually goes along with the rail system or the inside diameter not being able to fit aroung the bull barrel which is an inch.

and if the gas block was a little too thick i would grind that down in a heartbeat so that the rail system would work, i just dont want to grind down any part of a "new" rail system to make it fit.

i think that finding a gas block is way cheaper and easier to replace then trying to replace any part of a rail system in case i mess up

thanks again
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Keep in mind this is a custom built FF tube, but I have something like what you are describing.

tinypic.com/57hco

I knew i remember seeing it somewhere!

that is the pri tube, correct?

that is similar to what i am trying to get but rather have something with full length rails and that would mean it would be aluminum or metal

what did you have to do to make it fit?

what brake is that on the end if i may ask? also what buis is that you have on there?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/57hco

that is the pri tube, correct?

that is similar to what i am trying to get but rather have something with full length rails and that would mean it would be aluminum or metal

what did you have to do to make it fit?

what brake is that on the end if i may ask?

It is a Jeff Crambit custom built tube.  I don't think that he makes them anymore.

This was by far the toughest build I ever did.  I had to notch the FSB opening to fit the bull FSB through it, as it was designed for a standard FSB and I had to drill the bottom of the tube so that I could access the setscrews that hold the bull FSB on.  

Then to get the tube on, I had to install the tube and the FSB/gas tube assembly on together, but the gas tube wouldn't fit through the FSB opening with it installed in the FSB, so I had to put the bull FSB in the tube and install the gas tube and pin in the FSB while it was in the tube!!  That was tough, but on the bright side, I invented some new cuss words while doing it.

The muzzle brake came from here:  Veriforce Tactical.  It is held on by four setscrews and on my first install, it flew off while shooting, not from bullet impact, but from pressure, so I dimpled the barrel where the setscrews hit it and now it stays put.

BTW, Mr Cramblit didn't have any more rails made for it, so I bought the bipod rail from YHM and had to custom fit it to the tube.

It's fun to shoot, but other people at the range say the brake is LOUD, but it's not loud to the shooter.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an OLYARMS PCR-16 with bull-barrel, Freefloating railed handguards ( FIRSH ), and railed FSB.  I'm relatively certiain that the FIRSH clears the FSB no problem.  Straight Factory from OLY.  They may be able to help you figure it out if ARFCOM can't.  But when was the last time we came across a question we couldn't answer?

- Nw -
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
A rifle length Oly FIRSH would work with your 20" bull barrel.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Most barrel nuts have a 1" opening so you should be fine with your 1" bull barrel.  The problem is some bull barrels such as the Rock River Arms Varmint barrels which are 1 1/16".  Even then it is easy enough to ream the hole on the barrel nut and make it fit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#11]
ok i was thinking that the barrel nut would be or close to an inch.

i changed a superlight barrel the other day and noticed that at the barrel nut the barrel was pretty wide compared to the rest .

so i guess i will try it out, might try using the larue 12 or something similar. hopfully the high end stuff would work for the bull barrel

thanks everyone for all the help

oh and mongo, all that trouble to install that tube and fsb i would have given up and cut a slot from the front end to the fsb you sir have more patience than i think i will ever have
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top