Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 4:27:04 PM EDT

I'm considering what stock to get for an M4gery type gun.  From what I can gather so far, either a standard collapsible stock from Colt or Bushmaster, or Magpul's Modstock, or Vltor are all good choices in general - could someone do a 30 second rundown of the tradeoffs involved? (e.g. StockX is lighter, StockY gives better cheekweld, StockZ is the most reliable..)?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Well from what I've seen, the Colt is much better than the current BM stock.  I saw a brand new BM stock on a NoBan M4 and it was horrible.  I've seen better stocks from Tapco.  These seem to be the lightest.

The VLTOR looks to be well made and everyone who has one seems to love them.  The one I saw at a gunshow the other day seemed really tight on the buffer tube, so tight that it was annoying to try to open and close.  I don't know if that goes from all of  them or what.  The battery tubes are neat, and seem to improve cheek weld, since they increase the surface your cheek has to rest on.  This was heavier than the Colt and BM stocks.  

The Magpul is in my opinion the best.  This stock is also the heaviest.  It has the most positions of adjustment, and at the longest position, is longer than an A2.  It also gives you a consistent cheek weld regardless of the position (if your cheek weld is towards the front/nose to charge handle).  While I love this stock, it's not as straight forward to install like the above stocks.  It can be quite frustrating if you don't have instructions that advise you about how to get the shims exactly right, and may require a few beers and a break before continuing, or maybe that's just me.   Once it's on though, it's worth it.  

The stock you get will depend on your needs/desires/price range, however.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Im  on my  fourth stock  right  now, tried a few of them.

Vltor is  the one that seem to work best for me.

No  rattle,excellent cheek weld and storage compartments.

TG
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
the cheekweld on my Vltor is great!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Well, I was leaning towards Vltor to begin with, mostly because I'm going to be sticking an EOtech on it and it would be nice to be able to stuff some spare batteries in the stock.  I am trying to stay lightweight where I can though.  Is the weight jump going from plain Colt to a Vltor going to be something noticeable?  Couldn't find a specsheet or anything that gives any numbers to go off of.

Of course, now that I know that the Magpul comes with a free excuse to get drunk while working in the garage, I may have to give that route some careful consideration as well
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got 2 new bushmaster stocks and I like them but not as well versed in stocks as some of the other guys here. but it has 6 stop points and looks goodhug.gif
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]
" Is the weight jump going from plain Colt to a Vltor going to be something noticeable?"

not really.  i had a 6pos dpms stock on my AR before.  i can't tell a difference in weight.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Overall, I prefer the Magpul.  To me, it has the best cheekweld, and is consistent no matter what position the stock is in.  With the future add-ons, it will also be the most versatile.  It is also the most solid collapsible stock I have ever tried.  The Crane would be second on my list and the Vltor would be a close third after that.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the Magpul.  More solid than a fixed stock, easiest of all the stocks to install.  Only tool needed to install is an allen wrench.  Most adjustable and the only one that lets you pull it out straight to the position you want with preset.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Vltor's the best, followed by LMT's Crane Stock.

Sorry, I just can't get use to the RoBoCop foot.

Good luck in you search.

ls
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Vltor's the best, followed by LMT's Crane Stock.

Sorry, I just can't get use to the RoBoCop foot.

Good luck in you search.

ls

+1 except put the LMT Crane in front on the Vltor
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Magpul gets my vote.  Solid, solid, solid.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Get the Magpul.  More solid than a fixed stock, easiest of all the stocks to install.  Only tool needed to install is an allen wrench.  Most adjustable and the only one that lets you pull it out straight to the position you want with preset.

I've heard they can be a bixxx to install.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is the weight jump going from plain Colt to a Vltor going to be something noticeable?  Couldn't find a specsheet or anything that gives any numbers to go off of.

Weight will jump up a whopping 1.8 oz - no sweat you won't notice it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone tried the LMT SOPMOD stock (is this the Crane stock referred to above)?

(from G&R Tactical's website)

It's pricy (about $250) but looks pretty solid.

I can't get used to the look of the Magpul stock either...

EDITED:  OK, just caught up with that other thread and figured out the LMT stock.  I really like the look of that one - I'll have to replace my Bushmaster tube - just have to decide if it's worth the money...

Dave
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The LMT/Crane IS worth the price. THE best cheekweld to be had + storage + a nice non-slip comfortable butt/recoil pad!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The LMT/Crane IS worth the price. THE best cheekweld to be had + storage + a nice non-slip comfortable butt/recoil pad!

Can you tell me where you bought yours?  Right now the best price I can find is at Operation Parts at $236.55 for the complete kit.  Seems like a good deal - just want to make sure I'm not missing out on a better one.

This definitely sounds like the stock I need.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought mine from ADCO for $198 (buttstock only) as it went on a Colt (Colt, LMT and Vltor extension tubs are the only ones that work with the LMT/Crane).

$236 is not bad if it includes the proper tube.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm on a tight budget right now,but I'd like to get a Sopmod in 6 months or a year. For right now, I just saw the CavArms M4 stock. How are they?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the vltor stock sells for $150 (complete kit) through Bravo or Adco. Not a bad price.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

TG hug.gif

I was at the Berea, OH show yesterday scoping out Kalashnikovs, 6.8mm uppers and sliding stocks.  Plenty of Kalashnikovs at reasonable prices, no 6.8mm uppers at all, and I learned something about sliding AR stocks I never realized before.  ALL of the ones I looked at had some degree of rotational movement around the buffer tube.  I didn't find any of them acceptable.  Of course I come from the shooting jacket, glove and cuff sling experience, but still, the amount of movement was amazing to me.  I didn't see any stocks much above $80.  Are the really expensive ones $200+ that much better?

On a positive note, I did see one of those fixed stocks that vaguely resembles the FAL folder.  It was an entry style, and hence was way too short for normal use, but I know they make normal length ones.  I was impressed by the stability and apparent quality.  I forget the mfg. name right now, but I was very impressed.

My experience has led me to give up on a folder and possibly switch to one of the fixed metal tubulars.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#24]
A Magpul stock has zero play, it is rock solid at any position.  It isn't like all the other stocks that are basically updated older styles, it's a new concept and I think it looks awesome.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard they can be a bixxx to install.

Only if your are an idiot.  It was the easiest thing to install on my rifle with the exception of the KAC 2 stage trigger.  You used to have to sand down a shim to get it to fit your lower... now they have different sized shims you stack in various thicknesses to get the right timing on the tube.  Very easy to install if you use the instructions.  If you had the experimental "sand a shim" unit or did not read the directions it could be difficult.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I bought mine from ADCO for $198 (buttstock only) as it went on a Colt (Colt, LMT and Vltor extension tubs are the only ones that work with the LMT/Crane).

$236 is not bad if it includes the proper tube.

Just got my LMT stock in the mail today, although with a DD single point sling mount and PRI military latch.  Only problem is I forgot that I needed a buffer and spring to go with the stock...  Those are on the way in a separate order.

Looking forward to trying out this stock - I'm not all that happy with the look / quality of the Bushmaster stock on my new rifle.

Thanks for the advice, guys,

Dave
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

TG

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Just picked up an ACE SOCOM stock, used off the EE. VERY pleased with it.

Took just minutes to replace the factory A2 stock, and the lock up is rock solid. 5 positions, with the longest about A1 length, and my favorite is well within the limits of travel. (Due to a short neck, I prefer a shorter position.)

Cheek weld is the same, no matter the position, due to the short design of the sliding piece. The foam pad (replacable) makes a larger more comfortable surface for the cheek. (AND no problems with grabbing my beard, unlike some other collapsable stocks.

No problems grasping the pistol grip with the stock fully collapsed, unlike the Magpul, with the locking latch interfering.

All in all, I'm pleased, and this stock on this lower will be used with three different uppers.

Colt Government Carbine

Colt A2 20 inch Government

Colt Competition HBAR.

When all modification are complete, I'll have in effect, three rifles with the same trigger pull, and capable of being adjusted to any situation. (ALL uppers are small pivot, and the lower has push pin pivot. Can you say "Quick Change?)

Life is good.

Lonny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top