Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 2:24:09 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a barrel in the near future.

It will be for range use for the most part --- 200 yd.  The rifle will be scoped and I doubt I will use open sights at all.  I've been looking at the RRA Varmint barrels and I'm leaning toward the 20" barrel, how much accuracy would I be sacrificing if I went with a 16" barrel in lieu of the 20"?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My approach with the RRA Varmint upper was "if you're gonna build a varminter, build a varminter." In other words, don't compromise. Thus, I went with the 24" barrel with the quicker of the two twists offered. If you want a 16" barrel, maybe you should consider building two rifles; one the no-compromise varminter and the other a more portable, "handier" weapon without the thick tube.

Whatever you choose, you'll probably have lots-o-fun with the resulting rifle(s).

BTW, while I've not yet worked-up a custom reload for this rifle, it's accuracy with Q3131A has been outstanding.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah that is what I was thinking too (the 2 gun approach), however, if everyone said the 16" barrel would have just as much accuracy then I would think about the 16" one that I found.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the boards.

Barrel length has little to do with accuracy.  In fact, all else being equal the shorter barrel is more stiff and can be more accurate.

Additional barrel length does allow greater velocity, which allows the rifle to be accurate at a much greater range, but you said you plan to use it at shorter ranges.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If 200 yards is all you will be shooting, then 16" is all you need.  And as Hoplophile said, a longer barrel has NOTHING to do with accuracy itself, only velocity which does translate to a flatter trajectory and a longer distance before dropping below the sound barrier which (I've been told, and it makes sense) flunks up the bullet's path.  But at 200 yards, your trajectory will be pretty flat anyway, and the bullet will be no where NEAR dropping below the speed of sound...

With RRA Varmint barrel's reputation for exceptional accuracy, you could expect the 16" barrel to be accurate out to 600 yards, but things like wind would affect the flight path more, and velocity would not be adequate for most game.  But paper and steel would quiver with fear!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replies!!!!

The longest range in my area is 300 yards, so anything past that would be RARE for me.  From the post here I think I might go ahead and get the 16" Varmint I found...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Last year or so I purchased a 20 inch RRA varmint upper.  Shot about ten rounds of Black Hills and that was it.   Boy that rifle with scope and bipod was heavy.  No problem shooting off bench, but you will notice you are carrying something!   Best of luck.
By the way, RRA produces some very nice stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I did consider the weight, but I'm not worried about it because it's for range use only... I bring some much stuff with me now when I go that I don't think the couple extra pounds are going to hurt me...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#8]
i'm thinking about getting an 18in or a 16in RRA varmit barrel...

20's are too long for me
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#9]
How do you think a RRA 16" Varmint would compare to a Bushy 20" V Match?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Like the ones for sale in EE?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems as if the V Match is just a normal BM barrel with the FF handguard.

Yes these two uppers are in the EE.  I'm trying to see what kind of uppers are available to me that price range.  I have a complete lower that I'm looking to finish, so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible to get just what I want.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]

How do you think a RRA 16" Varmint would compare to a Bushy 20" V Match?

In terms of accuracy, the RRA has a Wylde chamber and an air gauged, NON-chrome lined bull barrel, while as mentioned, the Bushy is just a free-floated standard Bushmaster barrel.  While a Bushy barrel is nothing to sneeze at, the RRA barrel would have more accuracy potential.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, welcome to the boards.

I just received a RRA 24inch Varmint upper in 1/12 twist.  I mounted it on a Doublestar/J&T Distributing A2 lower.  I'm waiting on a couple of YHM scope risers from Bushmaster.  As soon as I get them, I'll let you know how it shoots.

I agree with some of the posters above.  There is no reason to compromise when you put together a varmint gun.  The longest barrel possible (within reason) makes sense.  Since I only shoot 55gr bullets, the 1/12 twist is perfect.  If you plan to shoot heavier bullets, a quicker twist is necessary.

Have fun...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top