Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 7:20:39 AM EDT
Would anyone be interested in a flash suppresor that looks almost exactly like this?

http://www.hkpro.com/oicwmuzzle.jpg

I'd probably sell them at $35 or so. Thinking group buy for first run, will go ahead with that based on approval and interested level indicated here. Not a binding contract at this point, this is not a group buy yet. Just reply with a "sure, I'd probably buy one" or something.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTL

That is a copy of the G36 vortex, copying people's work and then selling it here is highly frowned upon.  There were issues with the Vortex and the tines "blooming" out.  Good luck to you.

ETA: Welcome to the boards.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IBTL

That is a copy of the G36 vortex, copying people's work and then selling it here is highly frowned upon.  There were issues with the Vortex and the tines "blooming" out.  Good luck to you.

ETA: Welcome to the boards.

+1
I already have an FS that looks almost exactly like the one in the picture.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the vortex FS had a kinda spiral to the tines?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
They do indeed, but they didn't always IIRC.  Dirk Barrett the guy that got booted had an older one and IIRC it wasn't spiraled.  We still know where it is being copied from though don't we?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I looked everywhere for something like this. Could not find it. I figure I'm not ripping anyone off if no one is selling them now. The Vortex is sufficiently different in appearance alone to qualify in my mind as a seperate design.

I have a couple of my own designs in mind as well, but I figured this would be a good start.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#6]
On second thought, I'll ask this. How many people think a copy of the top pic is really a copy of the Vortex? If that's how this is perceived, then I'll come back here with some of my own more original designs instead.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]
honestly, that is the first thing I thought when I saw that.  It may be totally different and an HK design, but it certainly reminded me of the Vortex.  Hell look and see if it is patented, if not, fill the void.  Good luck

Lest see some of your own designs, you might have a couple winners in the works.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Flash Suppressor, 6 prong, 3/4" diameter, 223 clearance, 1/2x28TPI thread (ARs):
http://www.derekdevises.com/pictures/flash1.jpg

Flash Suppressor, 6 prong, 1" diameter, 9mm clearance, 1/2x32TPI thread (handguns or pistol caliber carbines):
http://www.derekdevises.com/pictures/flash2.jpg

Double baffle, 3/4" diameter, 223 clearance, 1/2x28TPI thread (ARs):
http://www.derekdevises.com/pictures/brake1.jpg
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Just some food for thought...if you made your designs for the big boy's you might have found your nitch!  Like the .308 for the .458Socom's .50Beowulfs...since you dont really have many designs for them and I know that a  lot of people like to get their hands on USA Made FH for the FAL's

I might be interested in one for the .50 beowulf

Bigant
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm listening! Make me a wish list. Size (external diameter), # of prongs, thread, and bullet diameter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#11]
IF IF IF it were effective and priced reasonably then I would be interested in one for my 700PSS.  The Vortex is too dang high IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IF IF IF it were effective and priced reasonably then I would be interested in one for my 700PSS.  The Vortex is too dang high IMHO.

No shit last one I saw was in the $100+ range. I want something for my 700 as well but I'm not paying $100 for a freaking flashsupressor
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Brake for a 50:

http://www.derekdevises.com/pictures/50_brake.jpg

1" at base, expands to 1.5", to give the baffles some area to catch the blast and reverse it.

The prong style flash hider really loses effectiveness with increasing bullet diameters unless you also make the FH wider too. A 1" diameter FH with a .51" clearance, would be too open I think.

I'm right to think it's essential to have a sharp edge on the inside of the prongs right? If I left the gap distance the same, but just reamed a bigger hole down the middle, I'd have rounded inside edges. That would reduce the flash suppression right?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#14]
FH, 6 prong, 1" diameter, 30cal clearance, 5/8x24 thread:

http://www.derekdevises.com/pictures/flash3.jpg

I could sell these under $40 all day.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#15]
You might want to check here.  Around the last page or two they are looking for flash suppressors and other muzzle devices for the .458 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Brake for a 50:

www.derekdevises.com/pictures/50_brake.jpg

1" at base, expands to 1.5", to give the baffles some area to catch the blast and reverse it.

The prong style flash hider really loses effectiveness with increasing bullet diameters unless you also make the FH wider too. A 1" diameter FH with a .51" clearance, would be too open I think.

I'm right to think it's essential to have a sharp edge on the inside of the prongs right? If I left the gap distance the same, but just reamed a bigger hole down the middle, I'd have rounded inside edges. That would reduce the flash suppression right?

I'm interested! What would the cost be? I know its just a estimate....

Bigant
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#17]
New thread created now that things have totally 180ed from the start of this thread. New thread here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=206103
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top