Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 12:44:23 AM EDT
I am new here and this is my first posting.  

Firstly, I would like to know how Bushmaster would stack up against Colt on the AR-15 in the M4/A3 configuration in terms of pricing, build quality and overall performance?  

Secondly, the gun shop I visited tried to sell me a Colt AR-15 M4/A3 with a "Law Enforcement Use Only" stamped on the lower receiver.  The rifle also had a 3-stage collapsible stock and a bayonet-lug.  The asking price was about $1700.  The shop assistant claimed that it was a collector's model since Colt would not be making any more with the law enforcement stamp.  

Am I being taken for a ride, or is this rifle worth really $1700?  This seems expensive when compared against the $900-$1200 price range an average Bushmaster AR-15 costs.

Thank you for any advice that might point me in the right direction.    
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt and Bushmaster both have excellent quality.  Colt  costs more.  The LEO Colt at the store is over priced in my opinion.  I would not buy it.   But............................someone else might just because of the preceived collectors value.

Oh, by the way, welcome.  You just started another Colt vs Bushmaster debate.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, Colt costs more.  I would go with the Bushie.  Believe it or not, Bushmaster is the most mil-spec rifle on the market.  

I remember very specificly paying $1900 for my PREBAN Colt in the M4 configuration.  Being as though the AWB has gone bye-bye, I see absolutly NO reason why some people think they can still ask those prices.  Oh ya, cause people will pay them.  If I were you I would not be one of those people.  This is only my opinion.

A Bushmaster in the same configuration you speak of will cost you less, use more standard parts, and give you just as much-if not better-quality than the Colt.

The "collectors value" is definately preceived.  Those markings hold value only to those with the same collectors preception.  You will find some, but not many willing to waste--er pay--the extra $$$.  

One more thing:  NONE of the manufacturers are stamping their lowers "RESTRICTED..."
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:34:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Am I being taken for a ride, or is this rifle worth really $1700?  

In case you dont get it......

Look at these....

Bushy LEO $900

Bushy LEO $880

Clot $1000

Shop around. ARFCOM EE is a great resource.

Also dont forget to stop by the WA section. Lotsa help there.

Good luck!

Edited to add... Clot Group buy....

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I will go with the Bushmaster M4/A3 carbine based on the advice presented by you guys.  You've all been a great help and I look forward to leaning a lot more here.  Thank you all very kindly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted: "Believe it or not, Bushmaster is the most mil-spec rifle on the market."

How so?  We need some facts to back that statement up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, but you've lost me there.  What facts are you looking for?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
RRA, midlength 16"
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#9]
BORG,

Look at who I quoted.  newbe, not you.  I'm talking to newbe.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't pay $1700 for it.

But if you could get it for $1100-$1200 then consider it.  Othewise buy the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
RRA, midlength 16"

woot woot +1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, for starters Colt has different size pins for the fire control components.  Colt is also guilty of adding sear blocks.  What shade of black or grey is Colt using these days, anyway?  Front take down pin size: small or large?  How bout the height of the front sight?  For a while Colt was chrome lining the chambers but not the bore.  Or was it the bore but not the chambers?  Colt has so many descrepancies that I can't even keep them straight.

IMO Colt is far from standard.

You buy a Bushmaster, you know what you're going to get:  Standard pins---everywhere.  Chrome lining---everywhere.  Standard front sights on all rifles.  Sear block?  What's a sear block?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Point noted, thanks "newbe".

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#14]
What's really funny is that Colt is the only Manufactur making the M4 for the Military.  And they're not true Mil Spec.  Here's a pic of my Colt 6400 M4.  Also my receiver and barrel are chrome lined.

I bet Bushmaster doesn't have M4 on the receiver and Bushmaster doesn't make anything for the military.  

Opps, my stock isn't mill spec.  Opps, my rear BUIS isn't Mil Spec.  

Unless you have a full Auto there is no AR that is true Mil Spec.  Are you getting it yet?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Rambosky, don't forget the bbl, it looks to be 16".
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted: "Rambosky, don't forget the bbl, it looks to be 16"

Yep, but soon to change just ordered a 14.5" with Phantom FH.  Ooops, Phantom isn't Mil Spec  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Your receiver is chrome lined?

Quoted:
What's really funny is that Colt is the only Manufactur making the M4 for the Military.  And they're not true Mil Spec.  Here's a pic of my Colt 6400 M4.  Also my receiver and barrel are chrome lined.

I bet Bushmaster doesn't have M4 on the receiver and Bushmaster doesn't make anything for the military.  

Opps, my stock isn't mill spec.  Opps, my rear BUIS isn't Mil Spec.  

Unless you have a full Auto there is no AR that is true Mil Spec.  Are you getting it yet?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#18]
JimTh,

Ment the chamber and bore.  Got in a hurry trying to make a point in this senseless quest for a civilian Mil Spec AR.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Seems I struck a nerve with RAMBOSKY.

When I was refering to "mil spec", I was relating it to the standardization of internal components.  Yes, your stock is not mil spec.  Yes, your BUIS is not mil spec.  Yes, your f/s is not mil spec. (You forgot to mention that your rear pistol grip is not mil spec.) Yes, Bushmaster is not mil spec also.

And yes, semi auto varients are not mil spec either.  Only select fire.

This is not a "senseless quest for a mil spec AR". BORG asked: "How a Bushmaster would stack up against  Colt... in terms of pricing, build quality, and overall performance?"  Modularity of components would fall under build quality and overall performance.

As you can see BORG, some people split hairs.  Most have said to go with the Bushmaster.  It is the better of the two in mosts opinion.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't say much about Colt...but I do own a Bushy and I love it.  It's my favorite rifle.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:37:56 AM EDT
[#21]
newbe,

I own a Bushmaster and a Colt, both are excellent AR's in terms of quality, fit and finish.  I also know that there are series of tests and inspections that Colt goes through with the Government that Bushmaster does not, since they don't supply the military.   Do I think Colt is better than Bushmaster, not really.

The opinons I respect are those of the proffessional expert trainers of our police and military.  One of which is Pat Rogers.  Don't know if your heard of him.  Quite a few professional expert trainers have stated that they see fewer problems in their classes with Colt AR's than the others including Bushmaster.  

I read and visit other sites where these trainers post.  During the season I go to numerous 3-gun and IDPA matches where they also have side carbine matches.  I see lots of AR's in action.  My first Colt was an M16 on loan to me by Uncle Sam in 1968.  All I had to do with it was keep it clean and well fed.  It never let me down even under harsh conditions.

There's a lot of people here who own Bushmasters.   Why?  Maybe it's because they're more available and cost less than Colt.  Also a lot of people are turned off by Colt's corporate practices.  Since more people on ARFCOM own Bushmasters than Colts, does that make them better?  Hell no.  Do most people here own both a Bushmaster and a Colt?  Probably not.

So, newbe, don't take this the wrong way but..............................you don't speak for most.   I value opinions of the experts and my expeirence and not statements from some unkown newbe.

Edited to add:  If it turns out that you work for Bushmaster well.........I ordered a 14.5" M4 profile barrel with Phantom.  Please e-mail me when it ships.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top